Face The Shame Head-On: Let’s See Your Over-Stocked Tank...!

Would you consider your tank to be "overstocked?"

• Yes overstocked

Votes: 113 24.2%
  • No, perfect..

Votes: 106 22.7%
  • Understocked

Votes: 184 39.5%
  • more fish please....

Votes: 63 13.5%

• Total voters

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the dreaded “I’ll just add ONE more fish” syndrome, could some brave folks post pictures or videos of their ‘successfully’ over-stocked tank? (A picture here says a thousand words. ;)) What are your tips— such as ‘scrupulous adherence’ to large water changes, abundant live rock, extra large refugium, etc? (It goes without saying that fish selection is crucial to avoid aggression/conflicts. I’m interested more in the equipment aspects.) Not to push it, but does anyone brave a tank heavily stocked with fish, and only do ‘seldom’ water changes?

“Thanks” to anyone posting photos/videos and tips... and not throwing tomatoes... ;Smuggrin

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame shame shame, shame, shame shame.....! Lol

No tomatoes or eggs please!!

I now do water changes less frequently, probably ever 2 months or so as these days I find it just upsets all the water parameters to much

1238499655967547104_IMG_4254.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of town for 5 days. Remind me Thursday about video.

And #honestyinreefing #honestyinlife, I can't call it successful. [emoji17]

More like serial fish for a year's time before 2 months of good behavior turns into "1 more fish". And that doesn't work out. [emoji17]

19 to 21 3" fish in a 75 gallon tank seems to be my "too many" point.

This includes taking into account different habitat niches.

I am an absolute sucker for a tiny fish that has a chance growing up in a 75 gallon tank.

No longer try to add quarter sized hippo tangs. Probably my only saving grace. [emoji17]

And I'm still not learning that once a slightly larger new fish stops being picked on and being the 'new guy', it wants to be the new boss...

Current 'success story' is managing a small pair of flame angelfish and now added a small (for bicolors) pair of bicolor angelfish.
Original bicolor went from 'dopey panda' nickname to "hey, I'm an angelfish! I get to be an ..."
First with the second, slightly larger, bicolor added a few weeks later, and now mostly with the definitely smaller flames.
Everyone is still fat as an old tick. I add nori in several clips to keep everyone getting a chance at it. Same with feeding in general. But the flames are less visible than before when I stay in the doorway and just observe from a distance. Maybe 30% less? About 1 month in so far.

Same with a longnose hawkfish and a flame hawkfish.
Works for about a year, until 1 starts to noticeably get the upper hand.
Currently chasing still small 2 year flamehawk daily with food to make sure it gets fed.
Can't catch it and afraid to spook it completely so it won't come to within 2" from my fingers to be fed.
Longnose is 2nd most aggressive fish in the tank and doubled in size from a year ago. Yes, this is a good thing. They are supposed to grow.

Five 7/8" to 1 1/8" yellow 'coris' wrasse (still doing great) were enough to spook the small harem of 1.5" royal gramma and send most of them into hiding.
"They are just tiny yellow H. Chrysus for Gods sake. Come on!"
Saw the last gramma a few weeks ago. Need to update that thread. [emoji17]

In a different, earlier year, adding more fish spooked the breeding pair of banghia cardinals into hiding further and further back and not coming out aggressively for food. Even the female, or the male, when no brood in it's mouth.

Exotic butterflies that probably would have been fine, without too many other fish added later.

No, I can't call it successful.

Everything is fine for months at a time, until I add another fish. [emoji17]

The only good part is a huge amount of live rock. Lots of hiding/sleeping places and broken line of sight.
Excellent nutrition, clams, live blackworms, LRS, Rods reef, both purple and green nori 24/7.

Last edited:

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a little 15g nano that I successfully broke a few rules. 2 clowns, one flame angel, mandarin, bi coloured blenny, coral banded shrimp, crocea clam and stacked with sps. Held my nutrients at 1ppm nitrate and 0.01-0.03 phos reasonably well too

OP
OP
JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you three folks for getting this thread started! I do hope in short-order, more people will ‘come out of the tank’ with their confessions (Lol). I especially like the point about stocking with “different habitat niches” in view. As a personal example, I have a Long Nose Hawkfish that sits on rocks no other fish cares about, and three Filefish that wedge themselves under things like wave pumps and heaters that no other fish care about.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charter member of overstock anonymous …..

IMG_1997.jpg

Cannot possibly know exactly how many fish there are …. over 100 certainly.

That looks amazing though......

Sorry, is that 5 Kessil 360's over an 8' tank? That had been my plan, but was worried about shadows.... thanks!

EDIT:: whoa.... nevermind... you have way more lights..... very nice.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice thread and added a poll!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charter member of overstock anonymous …..

IMG_1997.jpg

Cannot possibly know exactly how many fish there are …. over 100 certainly.

I was going to call you out had you not posted! :D

Just kidding. You know I have respect for your system and it's inhabitants. And more than a touch of envy!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say unintentionally "perfect" because I've lost a few fish the past year (currently at nine).

Coral beauty angel
Yellow tang
Randall's goby
Kaudern's cardinal
Yellow assessor
Tail spot blenny
Royal gramma
Foxface Lo
Sixline wrasse

47973022886_176922d258_h.jpg

Edit:
75g display
30g sump
Weekly 10-20g water changes (for the corals, not the fish)

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back