OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, complete post on my A.G.E tank/stand issue. The information in this post is either fact of my own situation, or public record. (@chefjpaul @Skep18 @KingJason)

Ever since i got the tank, i noticed a "tick" "tick" settling sounding noise coming from it every once in a while. It was clear it was due to the loading but i figured it might be the "leveling feet" (just upside down hex head structural bolts) being back driven by the load on them or the plywood deck on the top of the stand settling out any residual stresses etc... I reported this to Chris Brenes, Acrylic and glass exhibits / The Fish Gallery (AGE) sales rep, who didn't really make much of it so i let it go.

Fast forward to more recently. While measuring my home/tank/stand to build my lower cabinets, i noticed this:

Video showing light coming through, from the other side of the tank, between the bottom of the tank and the top of the stand deck:

Video showing the sagging PVC bottom of the tank. The edge of the PVC sheet is visible between the tank steel bracing and the top deck of the stand....

Video showing me pulling out a full sheet of paper i inserted between the tank and the stand. I can actually push this paper all the way through to the other side....

Edges of PVC tank bottom showing under the tank bracing...
img_6788-jpg.753547

Light shining through between the bottom of the tank and the top deck of the stand...
img_6783-jpg.753546

img_6826-jpg.753551

Measuring the gapping between the tank and stand...
img_6807-jpg.753549
img_6810-jpg.753550

So, basically, not good... I have ~ 4mm deflection. I decided to do hand calcs to see what the situation was with the stand, as built, assuming a very non-conservative (i.e. not safe because it is too small!) design load of the dry weight of the tank, plus the weight of saltwater to fill it.

marsrover-calculations-jpeg.753667

marsrover-calculations-1-jpeg.753665

marsrover-calculations-2-jpeg.753666

In this situation, 100% fixity cannot be assumed! So the true situation exists somewhere in between 0%-100% fixity. Regardless, the safety factor in the best case, 100% fixity, is still MUCH MUCH too low for something that risks this level of hazard to life and property!

Okay, so for @Skep18 this probably makes loads of sense from statics and mech. of materials class, but for the rest of you, the next bit is probably better. I decided that hand calcs show a bad situation but it ultimately ignores the angled pieces between the vertical legs etc... so finite element analysis is an easier way to communicate the problem more accurately. So i built the stand in CAD and ran an FEA:

My setup: Feet are fully fixed. Top of stand is holding the weight of the dry tank, the saltwater to fill that tank, and the deck of plywood that sits on top of the stand, under the tank. No rocks, no equipment, nothing else.
screen-shot-2018-05-26-at-6-22-33-pm-png.754793

Here is the displacement with visual-magnification factor set to 1x. You can see max deflection is 0.128in (3.2512mm). Scroll back up to my previous photos and you will see i am measuring 4mm. This is the difference between a "perfect" stand (no welds, no holes, just magically this structure exists in perfect world) and real life. This discrepancy is, in part, EXACTLY one of the reasons when designing things engineers add additional safety factor to designs. Explanation of safety factor is next.
agemarsrover-tank-png.754790

Safety factors: A safety factor of 1 means the structure is just barely designed to hold the load you're putting on it. Factor of safety of 2 means the structure is designed to hold twice the load you're going to put on it. I.e. safety factors equal are a multiplier on the intended load that something can withstand).

Safety factor to yield: "Yielding" is an engineer's way of saying "permanently bent". It is when you bend something and it begins to deform plastically, meaning, you bend it, you let go, and it does NOT go back into its original shape: it yielded/ plastically deformed (vs elastically deformed like a rubber band, which goes right back to where it was before you bent it). Generally speaking, yielding is considered failure in almost all engineering disciplines.

For some perspective:
  • Flight Spacecraft structures have design factors of safety to yield around 1.5 (they are EXTENSIVELY proof tested and post test analyzed with penetrating dyes, xray, etc... and only made from the highest grade materials available)
  • For fixtures that hold personnel or flight hardware, the safety factors have to be 3.5 to yield and 5 to ultimate strength.
As for other things: EngineeringToolbox provides some good numbers:
Applications Factor of Safety
For use with highly reliable materials where loading and environmental conditions are not severe and where weight is an important consideration 1.3 - 1.5
For use with reliable materials where loading and environmental conditions are not severe 1.5 - 2
For use with ordinary materials where loading and environmental conditions are not severe 2 - 2.5
For use with less tried and for brittle materials where loading and environmental conditions are not severe 2.5 - 3
For use with materials where properties are not reliable and where loading and environmental conditions are not severe, or where reliable materials are used under difficult and environmental conditions 3 - 4

Equipment
Factor of Safety
Aircraft components 1.5 - 2.5
Boilers 3.5 - 6
Bolts 8.5
Cast-iron wheels 20
Engine components 6 - 8
Heavy duty shafting 10 - 12
Lifting equipment - hooks .. 8 - 9
Pressure vessels 3.5 - 6
Turbine components - static 6 - 8
Turbine components - rotating 2 - 3
Spring, large heavy-duty 4.5
Structural steel work in buildings 4 - 6
Structural steel work in bridges 5 - 7
Wire ropes 8 - 9

Considering we are talking about massive tanks, massive amounts of water, and putting it into peoples homes who then put massive amounts of money and time into them, I'd hazard a guess that if this was controlled by US code, the required safety factors for stands on tanks >100 gallons would have to be somewhere in the ballpark of 2.5 to 5.

Stress: Now that i explained safety factors, let see what safety factor the simulation says the stand has to the weight of just the tank, the salt water to fill it, and the plywood top deck of the stand:

marsroveragestress-png.754791

So, this is a little more complex to understand fully, so i'll try my best to keep you engaged as i explain: There is exists a small nodal region near where the angle supports meet the structure that's red. Stress level of 17.7 ksi. This might be an artifact of the simulation and geometry so lets give A.G.E the benefit of the doubt and ignore that. Everyone would agree that yellow is definitely in this structure though: 13.2886 ksi. The compressive yield strength of A36, common structural steel for square tube, is 22ksi (MATWEB). To calculate safety factor, we take the strength of the material and divide it by the max stress. Thus, if our stress is only half of the max strength of the material, then we have a nice safety factor of 2! So for this situation, we say our max stress is 13.2886 ksi (yellow color). And the material has a strength of 22ksi.

22ksi/13.2886ksi = 1.655 safety factor. In aerospace, we rarely have safety factors this low. And aerospace carries some of the lowest safety factors of ALL engineering. The reason why: we have to launch it into space so if it is too heavy, it won't get off the ground. So how does NASA get away with flying super expensive components with low safety factors? We test test test test test these pieces like crazy, then we analyze them like crazy with things like xrays etc.. to ensure that have testing them, they aren't damaged internally. Then we feel statistically safe they will perform in flight. This process is very expensive, hence why our projects cost so darn much. The cost and time to do this doesn't make sense for things like cars, tables, aquariums, so you over design them with a fat safety factor.

A safety factor of 1.655 on something that lives in peoples homes, exists in a corrosive environment (saltwater...), a dynamic environment (water motion), and risks serious hard to life and property, is insufficient and grossly negligent.

I emailed all this info to A.G.E, and the owner of The Fish Gallery / Acrylic and Glass Exhibits, Roger S Degregori (all this info is public fyi), told me that i am "over analyzing" this. We talked over the phone a few times and he admits that they have never engineered anything it is just based on his experience. He even went so far as to say he has a "sixth sense" for things like this. Kept saying if he had "seen anything concerning when [he] came to deliver the tank personally to my home he wouldn't have left it there risking failure". I repeatedly try to explain to him this isn't about a bad batch of metal or bad welds, it is about it just being under designed. He then went on to start blaming things i may have done etc... I don't want to go too far into this part of the issue. Suffice it to say, A.G.E takes responsibility for the failing stand and wants to try and "fix" it by either having me design a leg for them to make and on my time and dollar i'd have to attach it to the stand myself, OR, they send me a new stand and i have to break down my tank, which has that entire rock structure cemented to the overflow box, and swap it all out myself.... uhhh no thanks... not going to let them give it another "good ol' college try" at making a stand for me since by their owner's admission: no one over there knows how to use a calculator to design anything.

So now, now there is the issue of the tank. The center of the length of the tank is no longer supported, all the way across its width. As per A.G.E's warranty on their website:
http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/About-Us

Warranty Information - Glass & Acrylic Aquariums

- 3 years on approved A.G.E. or professionally built aquarium stands (other stand manufacturer with insurance)

- Warranty void on home built aquarium stands

Terms & Conditions

- Aquarium must be level from all angles

- Stands cannot have their structural integrity compromised through modification

- All intended structural support points must be in contact with their intended surface

- Aquarium must come flush to stand edges, they cannot hang over edges or be supported by undersized stands

Thus, if this situation had been caused by another stand, the warranty on the tank would be null and void.

Multiple times i reiterated these points via email and over the phone:

My reasons reiterated are as follows:
  1. The stand has failed. The longitudinal top beam of the stand is deflecting a full 4mm from its unstressed state. This deflection exists on both sides of the tank. Thus, the tank center is unsupported across the entire transverse-width of the tank, causing light to be able to be seen passing under the tank between the top of the stand and the bottom of the tank. The center of the tank is therefore no longer being supported. The cut edges of the PVC bottom of the tank are visible from the outside of the tank and are hanging below the bottom steel bracing of the tank indicating the expected additional stress on the silicone joints holding the tank glass walls to the PVC base.
  1. Being that the A.G.E tank is no longer supported on all of its edges due to the failing A.G.E stand, on the phone today you explicitly conceded that you are not able to produce a guarantee that the tank “won’t fail tomorrow” but rather based on your experience you “think it is okay”. If this situation had been the result of another manufacturer’s stand with an A.G.E tank, as per your company’s warranty policy, the warranty on the A.G.E tank would be void due to the failed condition of the stand. Therefore, the tank is deemed “compromised” under A.G.E’s warranty. Based on my engineering education, I am 100% certain that due to the off-nominal stress state imposed on the tank, the tank’s joints have been/are being subjected to a stress state above what the tank would see with a non-failing stand. There is no promise without analysis that these joints have not been overstrained, crazed, and or their strength compromised.
  1. Today on the phone you conceded that A.G.E tanks and stands are not a product of reasoned engineering thought and calculations as that would be prohibitively costly, but instead, their design is based your experience. In my experience with A.G.E, I received an under-designed stand. Based on remedial engineering calculations verified by my coworkers and as well by a computer simulation of the precise situation, I was able to clearly show that A.G.E provided a stand that is under-designed for the A.G.E tank provided with that stand. That result caused me to look at other A.G.E customers’ stands in my area and found similar results with their stands. Granted you claim a blemish free history, however, my history with A.G.E to this point has been the exact opposite. Thus, allowing A.G.E to attempt to remedy this situation by coming up with something else, is not an acceptable path towards a resolution of this problem.
  1. I paid a premium for your “white glove delivery service” to ensure your warranty would be in full force for my system, as it is a very large liability to property and life should there be a failure. Your warranty states several conditions needing to be met for the warranty to be valid. These conditions of your warranty practically require verification of said conditions by your personnel prior to the occurrence of a failure, should a warranty claim need to be made. The only ironclad verification is for A.G.E to come set up the system yourselves. Thus, I was persuaded to pay the premium for your white glove delivery service. You yourself came to my home for the delivery of my tank and stand and with your coworker you put the tank in its place in the center of my home.
When products are sold, in addition to any stated warranty by the seller/manufacturer, by law they have an implied warranty of merchantability and of fitness for a particular purpose. I purchased a tank and a stand for it, along with your time to fly out here to my home and deliver and place the items by hand to ensure the tank and stand would do what they are supposed to do, and are suitable for that particular purpose. Because of the aforementioned reasons I maintain that by implied warranties of merchantability and fitness, and by the warranty of your company, I am due for a full refund. Even with a full refund from A.G.E, fixing this problem is going to cost me an appreciable amount more time and money. The loss of my time and the additional money already spent (on top of what I paid your company) in putting this ecosystem together are lost.

Based on the above points, and the situation of my stand/tank, someone would be VERY VERY hard pressed to prove the joints of the tank have not been stressed beyond intent. Hence why this would void A.G.E warranty (if this hadn't been caused by AGE in the first place). Even with all of this, Roger maintains that because it is holding water presently, the tank is fine because it is built like “a brick s***house” (not a technical term so I have no idea what that means....). Roger also says that he “can’t promise it won’t break tomorrow” and he can’t show me any form of proof that it’s fine. I just have to take his unqualified-mechanical “word” for it.....

As everyone on here knows, even with a full refund, I have a LONG and likely expensive road ahead of me. I can't touch the stand to support it temporarily, and i can't go the route of designing something FOR AGE to fix this mess because my attorney has advised me not to as it risks producing a lack in clarity of culpability should damages need to be recouped legally. Makes sense.

I have found that Roger's attorney, or at least his attorney in a case in Texas court, is someone with the same last name (found via HCDistrictclerk.com case search). So it likely won't cost him to defend himself in court....which is probably why he is so brazen with me about not making good on their warranty, but I'm not worried.

On top of all of this, ever since i got the tank, and have been looking at other starphire tanks in person, i'm pretty sure i also didn't get the starphire glass i paid for on all sides:
Photo of my AGE glass edge on, camera right up against the cut edge of the glass with flash on:
img_6965-jpg.753563

A.G.E Glass again:
img_6968-jpg.753564

OCEANIC GLASS true starphire: edge on, camera right up against the cut edge of the glass with flash on:
oceanic-glass-jpeg.753565

OCEANIC GLASS (true starphire):
oceanic-glass2-jpeg.753566

I have also done a similar FEA analysis on @KingJason 's tank stand. His deflection is much better than mine. Basically zero. But it looks like his safety factors are also around 1.5.... and his tank is nearly twice the size of mine
upload_2018-6-6_13-8-12.png

upload_2018-6-6_13-7-41.png

upload_2018-6-6_13-8-1.png

I'd hate to see what happens in an earthquake with our tanks....

....wonder if anyone actually will read all of this.... but this is why i now say NEVER BUY a tank from Acrylic and Glass Exhibits, The Fish Gallery, or anyone, for that matter,who doesn't say what the safety factor is on their stands.....especially if their response to that question is "huh?” ......ugh

What would you want if you found yourself in this situation?

Last edited:

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, complete post on my A.G.E tank/stand issue. The information in this post is either fact of my own situation, or public record. (@chefjpaul @Skep18 @KingJason)

Ever since i got the tank, i noticed a "tick" "tick" settling sounding noise coming from it every once in a while. It was clear it was due to the loading but i figured it might be the "leveling feet" (just upside down hex head structural bolts) being back driven by the load on them or the plywood deck on the top of the stand settling out any residual stresses etc... I reported this to Chris Brenes, Acrylic and glass exhibits / The Fish Gallery (AGE) sales rep, who didn't really make much of it so i let it go.

Fast forward to more recently. While measuring my home/tank/stand to build my lower cabinets, i noticed this:

Video showing light coming through, from the other side of the tank, between the bottom of the tank and the top of the stand deck:

Video showing the sagging PVC bottom of the tank. The edge of the PVC sheet is visible between the tank steel bracing and the top deck of the stand....

Video showing me pulling out a full sheet of paper i inserted between the tank and the stand. I can actually push this paper all the way through to the other side....

img_6788-jpg.753547

Light shining through between the bottom of the tank and the top deck of the stand...
img_6783-jpg.753546

img_6826-jpg.753551

img_6807-jpg.753549
img_6810-jpg.753550

So, basically, not good... I have ~ 4mm deflection. I decided to do hand calcs to see what the situation was with the stand, as built, assuming a very non-conservative (i.e. not safe because it is too small!) design load of the dry weight of the tank, plus the weight of saltwater to fill it.

In this situation, 100% fixity cannot be assumed! So the true situation exists somewhere in between 0%-100% fixity. Regardless, the safety factor in the best case, 100% fixity, is still MUCH MUCH too low for something that risks this level of hazard to life and property!

Okay, so for @Skep18 this probably makes loads of sense from statics and mech. of materials class, but for the rest of you, the next bit is probably better. I decided that hand calcs show a bad situation but it ultimately ignores the angled pieces between the vertical legs etc... so finite element analysis is an easier way to communicate the problem more accurately. So i built the stand in CAD and ran an FEA:

My setup: Feet are fully fixed. Top of stand is holding the weight of the dry tank, the saltwater to fill that tank, and the deck of plywood that sits on top of the stand, under the tank. No rocks, no equipment, nothing else.

Here is the displacement with visual-magnification factor set to 1x. You can see max deflection is 0.128in (3.2512mm). Scroll back up to my previous photos and you will see i am measuring 4mm. This is the difference between a "perfect" stand (no welds, no holes, just magically this structure exists in perfect world) and real life. This discrepancy is, in part, EXACTLY one of the reasons when designing things engineers add additional safety factor to designs. Explanation of safety factor is next.

Safety factors: A safety factor of 1 means the structure is just barely designed to hold the load you're putting on it. Factor of safety of 2 means the structure is designed to hold twice the load you're going to put on it. I.e. safety factors equal are a multiplier on the intended load that something can withstand).

Safety factor to yield: "Yielding" is an engineer's way of saying "permanently bent". It is when you bend something and it begins to deform plastically, meaning, you bend it, you let go, and it does NOT go back into its original shape: it yielded/ plastically deformed (vs elastically deformed like a rubber band, which goes right back to where it was before you bent it). Generally speaking, yielding is considered failure in almost all engineering disciplines.

For some perspective:
  • Flight Spacecraft structures have design factors of safety to yield around 1.5 (they are EXTENSIVELY proof tested and post test analyzed with penetrating dyes, xray, etc... and only made from the highest grade materials available)
  • For fixtures that hold personnel or flight hardware, the safety factors have to be 3.5 to yield and 5 to ultimate strength.

Considering we are talking about massive tanks, massive amounts of water, and putting it into peoples homes who then put massive amounts of money and time into them, I'd hazard a guess that if this was controlled by US code, the required safety factors for stands on tanks >100 gallons would have to be somewhere in the ballpark of 2.5 to 5.

Stress: Now that i explained safety factors, let see what safety factor the simulation says the stand has to the weight of just the tank, the salt water to fill it, and the plywood top deck of the stand:

So, this is a little more complex to understand fully, so i'll try my best to keep you engaged as i explain: There is exists a small nodal region near where the angle supports meet the structure that's red. Stress level of 17.7 ksi. This might be an artifact of the simulation and geometry so lets give A.G.E the benefit of the doubt and ignore that. Everyone would agree that yellow is definitely in this structure though: 13.2886 ksi. The compressive yield strength of A36, common structural steel for square tube, is 22ksi (MATWEB). To calculate safety factor, we take the strength of the material and divide it by the max stress. Thus, if our stress is only half of the max strength of the material, then we have a nice safety factor of 2! So for this situation, we say our max stress is 13.2886 ksi (yellow color). And the material has a strength of 22ksi.

22ksi/13.2886ksi = 1.655 safety factor. In aerospace, we rarely have safety factors this low. And aerospace carries some of the lowest safety factors of ALL engineering. The reason why: we have to launch it into space so if it is too heavy, it won't get off the ground. So how does NASA get away with flying super expensive components with low safety factors? We test test test test test these pieces like crazy, then we analyze them like crazy with things like xrays etc.. to ensure that have testing them, they aren't damaged internally. Then we feel statistically safe they will perform in flight. This process is very expensive, hence why our projects cost so darn much. The cost and time to do this doesn't make sense for things like cars, tables, aquariums, so you over design them with a fat safety factor.

A safety factor of 1.655 on something that lives in peoples homes, exists in a corrosive environment (saltwater...), a dynamic environment (water motion), and risks serious hard to life and property, is insufficient and grossly negligent.

I emailed all this info to A.G.E, and the owner of The Fish Gallery / Acrylic and Glass Exhibits, Roger S Degregori (all this info is public fyi), told me that i am "over analyzing" this. We talked over the phone a few times and he admits that they have never engineered anything it is just based on his experience. He even went so far as to say he has a "sixth sense" for things like this. Kept saying if he had "seen anything concerning when [he] came to deliver the tank personally to my home he wouldn't have left it there risking failure". I repeatedly try to explain to him this isn't about a bad batch of metal or bad welds, it is about it just being under designed. He then went on to start blaming things i may have done etc... I don't want to go too far into this part of the issue. Suffice it to say, A.G.E takes responsibility for the failing stand and wants to try and "fix" it by either having me design a leg for them to make and on my time and dollar i'd have to attach it to the stand myself, OR, they send me a new stand and i have to break down my tank, which has that entire rock structure cemented to the overflow box, and swap it all out myself.... uhhh no thanks... not going to let them give it another "good ol' college try" at making a stand for me since by their owner's admission: no one over there knows how to use a calculator to design anything.

So now, now there is the issue of the tank. The center of the length of the tank is no longer supported, all the way across its width. As per A.G.E's warranty on their website:

Thus, if this situation had been caused by another stand, the warranty on the tank would be null and void.

Based on the above points, and the situation of my stand/tank, someone would be VERY VERY hard pressed to prove the joints of the tank have not been stressed beyond intent. Hence why this would void A.G.E warranty (if this hadn't been caused by AGE in the first place).

As everyone on here knows, even with a full refund, I have a LONG and likely expensive road ahead of me. I can't touch the stand to support it temporarily, and i can't go the route of designing something FOR AGE to fix this mess because my attorney has advised me not to as it risks producing a lack in clarity of culpability should damages need to be recouped legally. Makes sense.

I have found that Roger's attorney, or at least his attorney in a case in Texas court, is someone with the same last name (found via HCDistrictclerk.com case search). So it likely won't cost him to defend himself in court....which is probably why he is so brazen with me about not making good on their warranty, but I'm not worried.

On top of all of this, ever since i got the tank, and have been looking at other starphire tanks in person, i'm pretty sure i also didn't get the starphire glass i paid for on all sides:
Photo of my AGE glass edge on, camera right up against the cut edge of the glass with flash on:
img_6965-jpg.753563

A.G.E Glass again:
img_6968-jpg.753564

OCEANIC GLASS true starphire: edge on, camera right up against the cut edge of the glass with flash on:

I have also done a similar FEA analysis on @KingJason 's tank stand. His deflection is much better than mine. Basically zero. But it looks like his safety factors are also around 1.5.... and his tank is nearly twice the size of mine

....wonder if anyone actually will read all of this.... but tis is why i say NEVER BUY a tank from Acrylic and Glass Exhibits, The Fish Gallery, or anyone for that matter who doesn't say what the safety factor is on their stands.....especially if their response to that question is "huh? what do you mean"......ugh

I would want a full refund at minimum. It seems crazy to have no engineering for tank stands designed to hold thousands of pounds of water. I wonder if they have engineering on their tanks. Sorry you are having to deal with this. What a bummer.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you quoted this without saying anything @mrpizzaface ?

Also, happy one year on r2r!!!

I did comment it somehow ended up in the quote. Not sure how. Copied below.

I would want a full refund at minimum. It seems crazy to have no engineering for tank stands designed to hold thousands of pounds of water. I wonder if they have engineering on their tanks. Sorry you are having to deal with this. What a bummer.

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My feelings exactly.

As per Roger of AGE: nothing they make has been engineered. Only one company has engineers, they’re in Colorado, and they’re very expensive because of the engineers which is why he (roger) doesn’t have engineering for AGE tanks and stands.....

FYI, photos their sales rep. sent me of them “testing” a new style stand. Yikes.....

225A7087-9BD9-4BB3-978E-AEEB1A300AE6.jpeg
4A774EDC-8619-43BA-87F0-1B01C2BDE230.jpeg
FB677093-5492-41B0-B89E-4EF3530BD55B.jpeg

Like I said.... good ol’ college try

Last edited:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feelings exactly.

As per Roger of AGE: nothing they make has been engineered. Only one company has engineers, they’re in Colorado, and they’re very expensive because of the engineers which is why he (roger) doesn’t have engineering for AGE tanks and stands.....

FYI, photos their sales rep. sent me of them “testing” a new style stand. Yikes.....

Hahaha... thats too much, chances they actually weighed their "engineers" hanging off that stand like monkies on a limb?

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Hope you get it rectified quickly.

Until then, I'd just add some horizontal supports.

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha... thats too much, chances they actually weighed their "engineers" hanging off that stand like monkies on a limb?

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Hope you get it rectified quickly.

Until then, I'd just add some horizontal supports.

Can’t:

I can't touch the stand to support it temporarily, and i can't go the route of designing something FOR AGE to fix this mess because my attorney has advised me not to as it risks producing a lack in clarity of culpability should damages need to be recouped legally. Makes sense.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Long but read it through. I feel for you man. Sounds really stupid for AGE, as a manufacturer, to not at least hire an engineering contractor to provide best practices recommendations for their designs and design process.

I would venture to say the metal is still in elastic deformation at 4mm deflection over that long run. Softer/Mild steel can flex a good bit before yielding into the plastic region of Young's Modulus.

However, one thing that's no speculation is you should NEVER leave any of the bottom of a tank unsupported, at least not like that. Any gap obviously means zero support locally. How AGE never encountered this before and/or got feedback of it is beyond me.

I know it's easy for me to say but just my two cents, I'd fix the stand myself and just move on with my life. I understand you've sought counsel at this point and they will advise you to keep tight but unless you're actually going to pursue legal action prior to a failure, the whole situation just doesn't seem worth it. Lawyers, as I understand it, have to have real damages. In court you can't speculate what the damages would be in pursuit of monetary compensation. At best it seems prior to having damages the courts would rule the contract between you and AGE null and void and require they return your funds in exchange for you returning their product. Risking a failure to prove guilt and quantify damages, while proving a point, sounds like a pain in the rear and not worth it IMO.

Either way, I'm definitely following. This makes you want to get the word out to the community. What a nightmare.

Last edited:

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My feelings exactly.

Geeze... Assuming the stand is 100% sound and capable, the way that center of gravity (CG) is oriented so close to the edge of the base support still leaves me terrified. I am just imagining that in someones home and a child visitor decides to come over and hang on the bottom of the overhang or climb up it or something. That added weight might be just enough to shift that CG over the edge. Heck, even an untrained owner might unknowingly bear weight on it while on a step stool. Crazy...

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long but read it through. I feel for you man. Sounds really stupid for AGE, as a manufacturer, to not at least hire an engineering contractor to provide best practices recommendations for their designs and design process.

I would venture to say the metal is still in elastic deformation at 4mm deflection over that long run. Softer/Mild steel can flex a good bit before yielding into the plastic region of Young's Modulus.

However, one thing that's no speculation is you should NEVER leave any of the bottom of a tank unsupported, at least not like that. Any gap obviously means zero support locally. How AGE never encountered this before and/or got feedback of it is beyond me.

I know it's easy for me to say but just my two cents, I'd fix the stand myself and just move on with my life. I understand you've sought counsel at this point and they will advise you to keep tight but unless you're actually going to pursue legal action prior to a failure, the whole situation just doesn't seem worth it. Lawyers, as I understand it, have to have real damages. In court you can't speculate what the damages would be in pursuit of monetary compensation. At best it seems prior to having damages the courts would rule the contract between you and AGE null and void and require they return your funds in exchange for you returning their product. Risking a failure to prove guilt and quantify damages, while proving a point, sounds like a pain in the rear and not worth it IMO.

Either way, I'm definitely following. This makes you want to get the word out to the community. What a nightmare.

I think they probably have gotten away with it because of luck, and other people trusting them and not looking to closely once that trust is established. Heck, it took me a while to notice on mine and I work in mechanical at NASA!

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lold at the

“I’d hate to see what happens to our tanks in a earthquake”

“Hey hun is the tank ok???”...Don’t mind the rest of the house!! LOL

As for builder, I’ve got a 8’ tank by them and love it. Your stand DOES look under built in comparison to mine. I’d do what other suggested and fix it yourself and move on. All this time you’re spending on here ranting about them is time wasted on what could be fixed. NOT TO MENTION it’s keeping you angry day to day.

I don’t see them giving you a refund, I could see them coming out and moving your tank onto a new stand and building you a new one for free. But if it was me would I want someone else messing with my tank, nope. I also don’t think asking for a full refund makes sense. Look at it like this, if you bought a brandddd new car. You test drove it, they delivered it for you and all looked good. Plus you’ve got a warranty on it, like the tank. A couple weeks later you realize your cars not riding right. You take it in, they say the axel is bent. So they replace it OR they argue what age is and say we don’t know what you did to it. Same thing right. So you see where they are coming from. It’s hard dealing with $5k that you spent on it and now worried it’s going to fail.

I know I’m arguing in their defense, but reading all this and seeing your argument does makes sense. Yours does look under built compared to my 400g. I’d want a new stand myself and while I did the swap I’d take out the sand :D lol.

Good luck with it. Don’t let it keep beating ya up.

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lold at the

“I’d hate to see what happens to our tanks in a earthquake”

“Hey hun is the tank ok???”...Don’t mind the rest of the house!! LOL

As for builder, I’ve got a 8’ tank by them and love it. Your stand DOES look under built in comparison to mine. I’d do what other suggested and fix it yourself and move on. All this time you’re spending on here ranting about them is time wasted on what could be fixed. NOT TO MENTION it’s keeping you angry day to day.

I don’t see them giving you a refund, I could see them coming out and moving your tank onto a new stand and building you a new one for free. But if it was me would I want someone else messing with my tank, nope. I also don’t think asking for a full refund makes sense. Look at it like this, if you bought a brandddd new car. You test drove it, they delivered it for you and all looked good. Plus you’ve got a warranty on it, like the tank. A couple weeks later you realize your cars not riding right. You take it in, they say the axel is bent. So they replace it OR they argue what age is and say we don’t know what you did to it. Same thing right. So you see where they are coming from. It’s hard dealing with $5k that you spent on it and now worried it’s going to fail.

I know I’m arguing in their defense, but reading all this and seeing your argument does makes sense. Yours does look under built compared to my 400g. I’d want a new stand myself and while I did the swap I’d take out the sand :D lol.

Good luck with it. Don’t let it keep beating ya up.

A more accurate car example would be a lemon or a recall. But, they have engineers so you trust them to fix it...at AGE, they just guessing.

Plus the tank is compromised. All engineers know: don’t load ceramics (glass) in tension or shear. That’s what we have here....

Also, if I have to break the tank down to either give them back the tank and stand, or to have a new stand put in, I’m going to have to break down my overflow and cemented rock structure and my PVC plumbing etc. will definitely be asking for all that money back since I’d have to start over.

Honestly, it’s be cheapest for AGE just to give me my money back. I have over $10k in this tank.

Not to mention Roger is pretty rude. I don’t like supporting people who treat their customers like
Roger has.

Last edited:

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A more accurate car example would be a lemon or a recall. But, they have engineers so you trust them to fix it...at AGE, they just guessing.

Plus the tank is compromised. All engineers know: don’t load ceramics (glass) in tension or shear. That’s what we have here....

Also, if I have to break the tank down to either give them back the tank and stand, or to have a new stand put in, I’m going to have to break down my overflow and cemented rock structure and my PVC plumbing etc. will definitely be asking for all that money back since I’d have to start over.

Honestly, it’s be cheapest for AGE just to give me my money back. I have over $10k in this tank.

Not to mention Roger is pretty rude. I don’t like supporting people who treat their customers like
Roger has.

Let me get this straight, the entire tank is compromised because of this? Even though all the corners are sitting level and it’s not twisted. The tanks have a steel frame on both top and bottom, wouldn’t this help keep the tank sound despite the tiny gap? You’d know better then me, I’m no engineer.

Being a engineer and spending months on this build with them you didn’t think of running some numbers like this prior? It wasn’t a quick build, I know this. If it was anything like mine they went over everything from how you want your tank built to how you wanted the stand built.

You had them install it as well correct? Didn’t it cross your mind then either?

Again I’m not saying you’re wrong about the stand looking under built, but why’s this all coming up so much later?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you paid by card, may help you. If of course paid by card. Horrible what your going thru

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get this straight, the entire tank is compromised because of this? Even though all the corners are sitting level and it’s not twisted. The tanks have a steel frame on both top and bottom, wouldn’t this help keep the tank sound despite the tiny gap? You’d know better then me, I’m no engineer.

Being a engineer and spending months on this build with them you didn’t think of running some numbers like this prior? It wasn’t a quick build, I know this. If it was anything like mine they went over everything from how you want your tank built to how you wanted the stand built.

You had them install it as well correct? Didn’t it cross your mind then either?

Again I’m not saying you’re wrong about the stand looking under built, but why’s this all coming up so much later?

This is a very good point! I should have run the calcs on delivery. But to be honest, my mind set at the time was "for all this money, and all their hype" i didn't even think about it. I trusted them. I also assumed they HAD to have engineers considering how dangerous these things are....I was wrong. I suspect many other of their customers who are not engineers would never notice.

As for the tank being compromised, yes, it is compromised.

Tiny gap, big gap, doesn't matter. The center of the tank is floating in the air so much so that it no longer contacts the support (stand), allowing light to pass through.

Just for fun, lets ignore for a second that by A.G.E's warranty on their website and bill of sale, the tank is compromised and lets take a look at the mechanics.

With the center of the tank floating, this is now the situation of the tank:

upload_2018-6-8_8-6-55.png

As you can see, in this photo, the tank is what engineers call "simply supported". Meaning it only has supports on the edges, none in the center. This allows the center of the beam to deflect downward, causing internal stresses and strains in the beam. Now, in this photo, the tank has been reduced to a simple beam. Regardless, this is still what is happening to my tank.

As you pointed out, the tank is built of more than just glass. Because the tank has steel, glass, PVC, and silicone holding it all together, engineers call this a "composite beam" structure.

I'm going to visually-exaggerate all of this so you can see what i'm talking about.

What is happening to the tank is obviously on a scale that the naked eye cannot see. If you could see it, the glass/tank likely would be stressed to the point where it has already failed. Regardless, it is definitely still happening this way @Skep18 can back me up on this I'm sure. I don't know what kind of engineer you are, but all engineers should be learning this in 1st/2nd year mechanics of materials in school.

When you have a composite structure, the layers that are glued together will bend/deflect based on their relative stiffnesses and their location in the bending-composite-beam.

That means that each individual layers' amount of bending is different from other layers, depending on how stiff each material is relative to each other.

When you have a non-ridgid adhesive, such as silicone, connecting the rigid materials, the shear between the different rigid-materials it is holding together is transferred between the materials through the silicone.

You can look at it like this:
Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 8.35.28 AM.png

Because the glass and the metal bend different amounts (metal is much more "bendy" than glass) the silicone layer in between them, stuck to glass on one side and stuck to the metal on the other side holding them together (red zoom-in circle), has to stretch between this bending difference between the metal and the glass.

If you zoom in again (green zoom-in circle) so far that you can view just a single square of silicone in this silicone layer, the top of the square only stretches a little bit (with the glass) and the bottom of the square stretches more (with the metal). Engineers are very familiar with this stress state called "Shear".

Because the center of the tank is no longer supported (you can see light passing through between the top of the stand and the bottom of the tank, so it truly is floating), the composite-beam-tank-system now exists in the simply supported stress state regime (previously shown above).

To some unknown degree (at this time), it is bending as i have shown above. Thus to some unknown degree, the silicone holding the tank together is stressed beyond what was intended.

This is precisely why (whether they know it or not) A.G.E's warranty states that all edges of the tank must be supported by the stand at all times or else their warranty is void.

Feel free to keep asking questions.

Last edited:

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be furious as well, but agree with that the best course of action is to add a support and call it a day. My tank was built by AGE and it came with a chip in the corner of the acrylic eurobrace. I got nowhere with my request for a fix and ultimately decided to suck it up and accept the tank as is. (And I am a litigator so suing would not have cost much other than the time and bother of going through it, but its just sooo much time and bother and would have delayed my build for at least a year win or lose). 4 years later, it is solid so their assurances that the defect would not affect performance has so far proved correct. Other than that though, I am happy with the build quality and particularly like the PVC bottom -- its bulletproof and allowed me to drill 6 holes for my closed loop without any concerns of failure. I had my contractor build a wood stand so I did not have to deal with AGE's metal stand.

One question about your situation (lawyer, not engineer here). How is it that the stand deflects more than the tank? Doesn't the weight of the tank and the deflection of the bottom panel cause the cross-bar of stand to deflect? If so the stand wouldn't deflect more than the tank. (I must be missing some concept here.)

And whatever the answer to that question, if the tank is not deflecting, does that mean the bottom panel as constructed is strong enough to hold the water perfect support?

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as the idealized stand (no welds, no drilled holes, perfect steel) you would be right. The simulation shows that the stand, although CLOSE to yielding, is not in yielding yet. A real life stand though, with welds and the holes drilled in the top beam to affix the top deck of plywood, and imperfect, real world steel material which likely came from china where steel is not same standard as American steel (google it), the stand is likely yielding.

Also remember, the simulation was done assuming just the tank filled with only water..... Im sure there isn't a single reefer out here with a tank filled ONLY with water. I'm sure you have other denser things like rock (calcium carbonate density is 2710 [kg/m³] and water is only 997 [kg/m³]) equipment, and also your body if you touch the tank at all.

This is precisely why engineers design with large safety factors for consumer goods. Who knows how a customer may use, or misuse, a fish tank. Who knows how much rock our customer might put in the tank. To be safe, lets make sure it holds X number of times more weight than just the tank filled with water.

Imagine if the person who designed your 6 person kitchen table, only designed it with 6 plates, 6 sets of silverware, etc... in mind? Imagine if the person who designed your chair designed it with only ONE person in mind, sitting perfectly up straight? As soon as someone sits on your lap, failure. As soon as someone leans back in the chair, failure. This is analogous to what has happened here with my tank and stand....and apparently others' too.

I bet AGE has encountered this before just customers don't notice. Also, we all trust companies like this to deliver something safe and sound. They, apparently, get away with it because people trust them and don't think to second guess that they are doing the right thing and having a qualified professional design these things safe.

Geeze... Assuming the stand is 100% sound and capable, the way that center of gravity (CG) is oriented so close to the edge of the base support still leaves me terrified. I am just imagining that in someones home and a child visitor decides to come over and hang on the bottom of the overhang or climb up it or something. That added weight might be just enough to shift that CG over the edge. Heck, even an untrained owner might unknowingly bear weight on it while on a step stool. Crazy...

You are correct about this too. At NASA we call them "tip over" calculations. Even my tank is pretty unsafe to tip over. The cantilever tank however, is safe. When i was running the numbers for A.G.E (for free i might add....) i assumed a 300lb idiot would come up to the tank and hang on the end of it. Then i put a big safety factor ON TOP OF THAT! Who knows if they went with my calculations or not.

If you paid by card, may help you. If of course paid by card. Horrible what your going thru
I did not pay by card because A.G.E makes you pay an additional 3% (on $5575.00 that is an additional $167.25). Luckily, Wells Fargo said they will investigate this issue for me and can issue a refund if found to be as i say it is.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

img_6788-jpg.753547

img_6783-jpg.753546

img_6826-jpg.753551

img_6807-jpg.753549
img_6810-jpg.753550

For some perspective:

Based on the above points, and the situation of my stand/tank, someone would be VERY VERY hard pressed to prove the joints of the tank have not been stressed beyond intent. Hence why this would void A.G.E warranty (if this hadn't been caused by AGE in the first place). Even with all of this, Roger maintains that because it is holding water presently, the tank is fine because it is built like “a brick s***house” (not a technical term so I have no idea what that means....). Roger also says that he “can’t promise it won’t break tomorrow” and he can’t show me any form of proof that it’s fine. I just have to take his unqualified-mechanical “word” for it.....

img_6965-jpg.753563

A.G.E Glass again:
img_6968-jpg.753564

....wonder if anyone actually will read all of this.... but this is why i now say NEVER BUY a tank from Acrylic and Glass Exhibits, The Fish Gallery, or anyone, for that matter,who doesn't say what the safety factor is on their stands.....especially if their response to that question is "huh?” ......ugh

Not good on the stand sagging. The software is awesome to look for stress and failure.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feelings exactly.

The steal is a different sizing then used on your stand. If that steal was used you might not have the sag. I say might not.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gallon AGE tank and stand. the tank is 77x30x30 and has Two vertical supports on each side between the ends so in essence 8 legs so I"m not worried at all about having your issue. But do find it weird they didn't put a center support/leg in for you. I love my tank and would buy from them again in a heartbeat but honestly am a little surprised on their choices with your stand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back