Fairly new to saltwater, diving in head first!

cooksa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I've been salt/reef keeping since February of this year, though have been a freshwater nut for years. I started out with the Fluval EVO. That housed two clowns, a tail spot blenny, one mini-maxi carpet nem, a cleaner shrimp, two margarita snails, and a handful of blue legged hermits. I went a little crazy buying Euphyllia corals, so I figured the only logical thing to do was upgrade! My new baby is a Waterbox AIO (40gal cube). Which is, so far, coming along swimmingly, though still very much in the "It's not done yet!" stage.

I'm currently battling GHA in the EVO. It's pretty much taken over. I made the mistake of topping off with dechlorinated tap. Thinking a little wouldn't be a big deal. (I've learned my lesson. Promise it won't happen again!) I've got some tiger trochus snails and a tuxedo urchin on the way. I will also be upping my water changes to 2.5gal twice a week. Every time I think it looks like it may be clearing, I come back a few days later to it looking like heck again.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to capture mini brittle stars, I'd love to move some over to my 40 gallon.

Anyways, enough about me! I'm excited to get to know the community!

Last edited by a moderator:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the party. We'd love to see some pictures of your tanks. I have GHA problems in my 29 biocube too. One good thing about it is if you pull some off, chances are you can get a couple of those micro brittle stares with it. ;)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the community. :)

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to capture mini brittle stars, I'd love to move some over to my 40 gallon.
Trapping it would be the best for what I can find.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
DD017C78-B388-4BB1-A781-355448F42072.gif

SaleenCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great introduction and welcome to R2R!! It's very easy to want to move a little too fast and cut some corners sometimes with this hobby...as we have all been there. Slow as they go is the best practice for saltwater. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Sounds like you got a beautiful tank (Love the Waterbox Tanks). Post some pics when you get a chance !!!

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would transfer a few scoops of sand from one to another.. you should be able to get some stars moved like that.. or swap a rock for a rock between the tanks. If there is enough to notice then then there are many more you can’t see hiding in the sand and crevices of rocks..

I will never give up my freshwater tanks.. just no way to achieve same predator tanks with salt wo massive size aquariums lol.

I hate to be that guy that says if you couldn’t beat gha in the first tank then it will be hard to keep it out of the new one still. Rodi vs tap water might have contributed but it was not the source. It’s simple nutrient input vs export issue. Feedings in salt is much much more controlled then in freshwater. Someneven littersly Hans feed one fish at a time to ensure they don’t over feed.

Best of luck in the new tank and welcome aboard!

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, seriously a great community. When you have questions (And you will, LOTS of them) simply jump on here and do a quick search! SO MUCH INFO HERE!! If you can't find it, ask... People are willing to help here as long as you show you did a bit of research first!! Also, don't forget to give as many details as you can, pictures ALWAYS help!

Again, welcome to R2R you will love it here!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back