Fairly new to saltwater, diving in head first!

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum!

I made the same mistake in my 29g and it was everywhere! it will take a lot of work to get rid of it, but its not the end of the world when the GHA hits the tank. PM me if you would like to know what I did for my tank. don't want to clutter the welcome thread with a story hahaha

Have fun here!!!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

tenor.gif

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You will find most everything you need here. Please PM me if you have specific questions and I can try to answer them or get you a good site/R2R member that can... :) . Join a local club too! Get to know your LFS owners...

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 5.29.43 PM.png

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum!

I made the same mistake in my 29g and it was everywhere! it will take a lot of work to get rid of it, but its not the end of the world when the GHA hits the tank. PM me if you would like to know what I did for my tank. don't want to clutter the welcome thread with a story hahaha

Have fun here!!!!
Imop you shoikdnpost it here so that others with similar issues later who take the time to search for common threads might see how someone solved this. One can never be too informed. I understand many don’t take the time to research older threads but at the same time many do and it will save a lot of repeated questions or concerns having to be addressed.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imop you shoikdnpost it here so that others with similar issues later who take the time to search for common threads might see how someone solved this. One can never be too informed. I understand many don’t take the time to research older threads but at the same time many do and it will save a lot of repeated questions or concerns having to be addressed.

Here goes!

I went through the same battle with GHA in my 29 gal, though mine wasn't as bad as yours. but in the end its the way you approach it. I know mine stemmed from being new to the hobby. I was gifted an established tank (10 years running) and I was new to the hobby. when they gave me the tank, they gave me 2 jugs of "distilled clean water" my brother in law told me not to use it cause we didn't know if it was RODI or not, so it just sat there next to the tank for a couple weeks. I added a light and one day the water was low and the salinity went up and in my eyes I had no other choice than to pour some of that water in the tank. then BAM! GHA all over the rocks. never again am I pouring water in my tank that is not RODI, thus I bought a 5 stage so I don't have to depend on someone else making water for me cause I cant trust them 100% if it really is 0 TDS or not.

It took some work and you have to be willing to do it. I did 5 gallon water changes every 3 days because I didn't have test equipment. got a CUC of 4 snails, 4 nassarius snails, 4 blue leg hermits, 2 emeralds, a lawnmower blenny. during the changes I vacuumed the sand bed, and picked off algae off the rocks. it felt like I wasn't making any head way but I kept trucking along. used chemipure elite and purigen and placed them in the HOB filters, didn't help it seemed. got test kits and got my parameters in check mostly NO3 and PO4 added a GFO and Carbon reactor and then kept picking off the rocks. one day I noticed it was a lot easier to pull the algae off the rocks, like it wasn't rooted on there as deep/ strong.

After noticing that it wasn't "rooted" on the rock as well I did the following: After a water change, I pulled one rock and set it on the countertop and took a steak knife and picked the algae off, put ONE drop of hydrogen peroxide (let it sit there for 1-2 min) to burn off the algae, and then rinsed in salt water from water change (you can also rinse in RODI). and did that for the entire rock until it was clean. when I placed the rock back in the tank, I noticed some of the CUC went right to the rock and started going to work on it (blenny, snails and bluelegs). That showed me that the GHA was too long for them to work on.

Then on the next water change I did it to another rock, I only did one at a time cause I didn't want to throw the tank out of balance, if there was a chance of it. And so on until I had no more GHA. leave the CUC in place to manage it after that. CUC are great to maintain, but are not going to solve the problem when its out of control, I don't care what anyone says.

After I had done this, the rocks stayed clean and I have even noticed the glass staying cleaner longer, I was cleaning the glass every night, now I'm cleaning it once a week maybe. your glass is a good indicator in the future in terms of algae and nutrient issues, if you are cleaning it more often, you have something out of balance. for me if I notice that my glass is getting dirty a little sooner, that means I am getting close to needing to change my GFO and Carbon out.

Bottom line: Get parameters in check. do the work. CUC to maintain. keep parameters in check. a solid feeding schedule (I only feed what my fish will eat in 1 minute).

I know thats a lot to read, but I hope it helps!

Barnabie

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes!

I went through the same battle with GHA in my 29 gal, though mine wasn't as bad as yours. but in the end its the way you approach it. I know mine stemmed from being new to the hobby. I was gifted an established tank (10 years running) and I was new to the hobby. when they gave me the tank, they gave me 2 jugs of "distilled clean water" my brother in law told me not to use it cause we didn't know if it was RODI or not, so it just sat there next to the tank for a couple weeks. I added a light and one day the water was low and the salinity went up and in my eyes I had no other choice than to pour some of that water in the tank. then BAM! GHA all over the rocks. never again am I pouring water in my tank that is not RODI, thus I bought a 5 stage so I don't have to depend on someone else making water for me cause I cant trust them 100% if it really is 0 TDS or not.

It took some work and you have to be willing to do it. I did 5 gallon water changes every 3 days because I didn't have test equipment. got a CUC of 4 snails, 4 nassarius snails, 4 blue leg hermits, 2 emeralds, a lawnmower blenny. during the changes I vacuumed the sand bed, and picked off algae off the rocks. it felt like I wasn't making any head way but I kept trucking along. used chemipure elite and purigen and placed them in the HOB filters, didn't help it seemed. got test kits and got my parameters in check mostly NO3 and PO4 added a GFO and Carbon reactor and then kept picking off the rocks. one day I noticed it was a lot easier to pull the algae off the rocks, like it wasn't rooted on there as deep/ strong.

After noticing that it wasn't "rooted" on the rock as well I did the following: After a water change, I pulled one rock and set it on the countertop and took a steak knife and picked the algae off, put ONE drop of hydrogen peroxide (let it sit there for 1-2 min) to burn off the algae, and then rinsed in salt water from water change (you can also rinse in RODI). and did that for the entire rock until it was clean. when I placed the rock back in the tank, I noticed some of the CUC went right to the rock and started going to work on it (blenny, snails and bluelegs). That showed me that the GHA was too long for them to work on.

Then on the next water change I did it to another rock, I only did one at a time cause I didn't want to throw the tank out of balance, if there was a chance of it. And so on until I had no more GHA. leave the CUC in place to manage it after that. CUC are great to maintain, but are not going to solve the problem when its out of control, I don't care what anyone says.

After I had done this, the rocks stayed clean and I have even noticed the glass staying cleaner longer, I was cleaning the glass every night, now I'm cleaning it once a week maybe. your glass is a good indicator in the future in terms of algae and nutrient issues, if you are cleaning it more often, you have something out of balance. for me if I notice that my glass is getting dirty a little sooner, that means I am getting close to needing to change my GFO and Carbon out.

Bottom line: Get parameters in check. do the work. CUC to maintain. keep parameters in check. a solid feeding schedule (I only feed what my fish will eat in 1 minute).

I know thats a lot to read, but I hope it helps!

Barnabie
Thanks for sharing your story.. I think this is very insightful for others and cudos for sticking with things slowly progressing one step at a time in the system which ultimately led to its success along with your dedication and hard work manually doing the tasks that your setup was lacking at the time. This is the natural progression of the hobby and I see too many give up before reaching the end point a lot of times because they didn’t out in the manual work up front to control the issue. The dedication you showed I have no doubt that tank will be successful for 10 more years to come.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back