Fairy wrasse help

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Rhomboids in QT with 4 other wrasses, they have been in QT for about 2 weeks now. I treated Prazi as a precaution and noticed a scale on the the Rhomboids that appeared lifted and turned redish/white. After the Prazi I treated with Metroplex and Kaniplex and it seems to have healed but for the last 3 days he has been swimming very strange and laying upside down on the bottom. He is still eating what he can get which isn't as much as he was but he definitely goes after food and eats some but he just doesn't look like he'll make it. Any ideas?? @Humblefish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, sorry, both videos say they are “unavailable”.

There is an issue that we see fairly often in this group of wrasses - they lay on their sides, or upside down , sometimes with bent spines….but they still take food. It is presumably a neurological issue, but nobody knows the cause. People say it’s from running into something and damaging their spine…but the fish don’t show any damage to their heads as would be expected. It may be a viral issue, or even microsporidians or nematodes. I’ve not seen a treatment though.

Jay

OP
OP
Friday24

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spine doesn't look bent, I had a flame wrasse several years ago that had that issue. It does absolutely look neurological though. I tried to insert new videos.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back