Fairy wrasse jumped out a couple days ago, not good now

sreed07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my yellow flanked fairy wrasse took the leap of faith under the back side of my canopy a couple days ago and got stuck between the wall and stand in the back. I was working on the tank at the time so I knew it happened. I had a difficult time getting to him and ended up having to slide him with a net to side as the only way of getting him out. He seemed to be ok at first, but deteriorated quickly last night. Was eating good yesterday morning, a little bit last night and this morning lays on the sand bed breathing hard. I got him to swim around a little but he just wants to lay on the sand. What can I do to help him? (Pic is his favorite sleeping spot)

EDE596B9-473F-4DB1-915F-1F725C0462DA.jpeg

OP
OP
sreed07

sreed07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was him yesterday morning. The spot on his tail is new after the jump. His tail now looks pretty beat up.

Attachments

• 468A9925-4664-47CC-8E0A-E20907541F54.jpeg
    468A9925-4664-47CC-8E0A-E20907541F54.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 50

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had that happen at least least a half dozen times. U fortunately it hasn’t ever had a happy ending. Btw, I’m one of you competitors, in the blue 737!

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sorry to hear that.

Every injury is different and as such it’s difficult to say. Just make sure no fishes are picking in him.

For me any surfer caught in time has always made it. I had one fish which had stopped breathing and I kept the fish with mouth open with mild flow from power head and he made it too.

good luck and pls keep us posted.

sam

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its condition is not caused by disease or water conditions, I would leave it alone in your DT - moving it will cause even more stress imo.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, so not many success stories after jumping? Maybe just internal trauma?
Good that it wasn't out of water too long. Unfortunately, for me, my dog beat me to a floundering fairy wrasse and that was that. Fingers crossed

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave thst fish alone. There is nothing positive you can do other than maybe dim the lights by 50% for a week.... maybe reduce your light cycle time by 50%

Fish go nocturnal and get more rest and possibly more time to HEAL with lower light and shorter daytime lights

OP
OP
sreed07

sreed07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave thst fish alone. There is nothing positive you can do other than maybe dim the lights by 50% for a week.... maybe reduce your light cycle time by 50%

Fish go nocturnal and get more rest and possibly more time to rest and HEAL with lower light and shorter daytime lights
My normal lights are just a very low blue. I’m FOWLR so I only have the lights up when I feed them or need to looks at something. I’ll just keep them off completely.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My normal lights are just a very low blue. I’m FOWLR so I only have the lights up when I feed them or need to looks at something. I’ll just keep them off completely.
Too extreme... doing no lights

Fish has an internal clocks, like us, and need a separation btwn an active day and a restful night.

I'm just saying during their active daytime, reduce the stress with dimmer lights.

A very subtle way of "chilling out" your fish.

Same dimmer light method can be used when two incompatible fish want to kill one another. You chill them out with a dimmer light.

But you don't go turning off lights and screwing up their internal clocks

OP
OP
sreed07

sreed07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too extreme... doing no lights

Fish has an internal clocks, like us, and need a separation btwn an active day and a restful night.

I'm just saying during their active daytime, reduce the stress with dimmer lights.

A very subtle way of "chilling out" your fish.

Same dimmer light method can be used when two incompatible fish want to kill one another. You chill them out with a dimmer light.

But you don't go turning off lights and screwing up their internal clocks
There’s still a ton of natural light in the room. Honestly not dark at all

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, sorry about the wrasse. :( Usually you can throw jumpers back in and they will do just fine ... but if they injured themselves during the jump, not so much.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back