Fairy Wrasse lethargic

Grissino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a "Supermale" Naoko's fairy wrasse who has been sick for over a week now. I found him lying on the sand bed looking puny. I removed him and praziproed him but he's still sick. He lies around most of the day but he usually eats and will swim around for extended periods (30 minutes at a time) of time throughout the day. When he's down he will sometimes roll over as if he's about to die. This morning he's up and swimming around.

I don't know what to do. Anyone have any idea on what this might be or how to fix it?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics? Close up?

What are your water parameters, tank size, tankmates, and how long has this tank been set up?

OP
OP
Grissino

Grissino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Parameters are perfect for NO3, PO4, calc, mag, and alk (I don't measure anything else but do a 10% weekly water change). Tank size is 60 gallon cube and it has been set up nearly a year and a half.

No big changes with the tank. He's been in there for a few months and his tank mates are male flame wrasse, male Katos Fairy Wrasse, and male Lineatus wrasse who are all model citizens.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Parameters are perfect for NO3, PO4, calc, mag, and alk (I don't measure anything else but do a 10% weekly water change). Tank size is 60 gallon cube and it has been set up nearly a year and a half.

No big changes with the tank. He's been in there for a few months and his tank mates are male flame wrasse, male Katos Fairy Wrasse, and male Lineatus wrasse who are all model citizens.

It could be a bad case of flukes that has caused infection or deteriorated state. Do you treat all new wrasse with two treatments of prazi, 5-7 days apart?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When he "rolls over as if he's about to die" is he breathing heavy? What you are describing could be normal wrasse behavior.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that behavior isn't normal for a fairy wrasse. He should always be swimming unless it's nightime and it is holed up in the rockwork.

Injury and parasites would be the top causes of fairy wrasse lethargy.

Back