Fallow period, then what?

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 40breeder cycled so that I can take my fish out and let my Display go fallow for ich.
I understand the display has to be fallow atleast 76 days, correct?
What do I need to do with the fish in the Qt to make sure I don’t inadvertently put ich back in? I am assuming copper treatment but what kind of schedule?
If I put the fish directly into copper will that kill ich before they drop off?

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I understand?. If you put fish in a tank treated with copper that will kill ich period. If you tank the fish that has ich and place it in a clean quarantine tank it usually only takes 9 days. Many prefer to treat fish for 14 days in copper treated water. After that time simply put the fish back in the display.

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 40breeder cycled so that I can take my fish out and let my Display go fallow for ich.
I understand the display has to be fallow atleast 76 days, correct?
What do I need to do with the fish in the Qt to make sure I don’t inadvertently put ich back in? I am assuming copper treatment but what kind of schedule?
If I put the fish directly into copper will that kill ich before they drop off?

Yes you have to keep your display fish free for 76 days to kill the ich life cycle. If you put any fish in before that 76 days they will most likely get ich again.

Your qt tank can have copper in it already. I would suggest using copper power and predosing copper to 1.0. Once fish are moved in slowly bring the copper level up to 2.0. After 14 days at that level you can move the fish to another sterile qt to monitor until your display tank is ready to go. BTW I recommend using Hanna for checking your copper level.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes run your display aquarium fallow for 76 days minimum. I'd say 12 weeks to be safe.

I'd treat with cupramine. That is personal preference for Ich or velvet.

Read this article that discusses copper treatment.

OP
OP
O

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have room for a third “clean” quarantine tank. So my fish will be in the 40B during the fallow period.
Do you think if i treat them for 14 days right away that it would be a good idea to do it again before going back into the display?

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t think an additional 14 days of copper treatment in your quarantine is necessary. As I’m sure you’re already aware too long of a period in copper isn’t good for your fish. At some point it is known to compromise fish gills, tissue and immune system.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have room for a third “clean” quarantine tank. So my fish will be in the 40B during the fallow period.
Do you think if i treat them for 14 days right away that it would be a good idea to do it again before going back into the display?
If you are using a single QT you will need to run copper for 30 days at the therapuetic level. After the 30 days you can start doing WCs to reduce the copper level and the fish just stay in the 40b until your fallow period on your DT is complete.

OP
OP
O

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That you Hotrocks.

I have a tailspot blenny, midas blenny, blue damsel, black clown goby and a royal Grama.

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah just one FULL treatment of copper, I prefer cuparmine also. Just be super careful of cross contamination once you remove the copper!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back