fallow tank

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank has been fallow for about 4 months (infection wiped out my fish), and I have QT fish getting ready to go into the DT. I have corals and inverts in the DT that have been doing well. My tank overall is about 9 months old.

Do I need to do an ammonia test to get ready for the fish additions? and if so, can someone recommend a process to do so?

Thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank has been fallow for about 4 months (infection wiped out my fish), and I have QT fish getting ready to go into the DT. I have corals and inverts in the DT that have been doing well. My tank overall is about 9 months old.

Do I need to do an ammonia test to get ready for the fish additions? and if so, can someone recommend a process to do so?

Thank you
If the invertebrates have been doing fine in the fallow tank all this time, you won’t have any issues with ammonia.
Jay

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you
Did you qt your new fish in copper? It’s worth giving some thought to at least... to go with an “ich eradication” method of reefing. You already did the hard part... waiting 4 months. I went through a big ich battle a while back and had to qt all my fish and leave the display fallow. Worth the extra work to do a proper qt with copper or tank-transfer method for that matter, if you’re going to qt anyway. Just a thought.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank is in essence cycled minus fish. As Jay mentioned- should be conditioned and ready

Back