fallow with fully stocked 260?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for advice, despite QT with copper and prazi of all my fish, I managed to get an ich break out. started with scopas tang, then my hippo, then my beloved Achilles. Blonde naso, sohal, desjardini, and majestic angelfish have no signs. Neither do my small school (7) of anthias or pair of clowns.

At first I was calling a friend to get a 200 gallon tote of his in preparing to go fallow. Today I visited the LFS and they were kind of against the idea of going fallow. The were saying the stress of moving could do the Achilles and shoal in.

then I started thinking about controlling ammonia with that many fish in a new tank... uggghh.

I have some sponges filters I threw in my fuge last week to seed them.

I decided to wait for a week and see how the rest of the fish do. I have a 40b qt that was setup and cycled about 5 months ago so I can put many of the smaller fish in there. the big fish though...

I guess I am looking for advice. It is a double edged sword... if the fish were just cheap, run of the mill stuff I might be inclined to see if "ich management" would be ok. But at the same time, I don't want to kill them from stress of transfer or poor water parameters?

Anyone interested in an SPS dominated 6'x3' rimless AGE tank, full apex system, basement sump and fuge, frag tank, geisseman lights? :)

Thanks in advance for sound suggestions.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with the LFS. If you are sure you have ich, I would go ahead and move them. Stress will not kill a fish. You may be pleasantly surprised how well they do with as large of a QT as you are setting up. Seed the media/QT with Dr Tims or Biospiria.

Your Sohal and Achilles will never make it in ich management. I know it's a huge pain.

I have QTd several Acanthurus tangs in a 40b. (Never more than two at once).

I have helped @4FordFamily break down a 180 tank that was cross contaminated before, we moved all fish to a single 55 and he didn't lose a single fish. Several tangs included.

So IMO you will be more than fine with that large of a QT.

The problem with the Acanthurus tangs and the ich affliction is as the ich cycles and the load on the fish becomes heavier. They will stop eating, and at that point you’re done. I personally would make the switch sooner than later.

Good luck man, we have all been where you are at.

Last edited by a moderator:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with the LFS. If you are sure you have ich, I would go ahead and move them. Stress will not kill a fish. You may be pleasantly surprised how well they do with as large of a QT as you are setting up. Seed the media/QT with Dr Tims or Biospiria.

Your Sohal and Achilles will never make it in ich management. I know it's a huge pain.

I have QTd several Acanthurus tangs in a 40b. (Never more than two at once).

I have helped @4FordFamily break down a 180 tank that was cross contaminated before, we moved all fish to a single 55 and he didn't lose a single fish. Several tangs included.

So IMO you will be more than fine with that large of a QT.

The problem with the Acanthurus tangs and the ich affliction is as the ich cycles and the load on the fish becomes heavier. They will stop eating, and at that point you’re done. I personally would make the switch sooner than later.

Good luck man, we have all been where you are at.

This

^^ Excellent advice

And also this. I know it’s a pain but it’s less of a pain then dusting all of your fish and needing to start all over again.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, I think you guys are spot on. Sometimes in this hobby you just need to hear it before you jump in.

another question.. as I know ford4family has more experience here..

In the qt... no hiding spots or hiding spots? i was going to put some plastic rocks and other assorted hiding spaces but i know that in aggressive freshwater tanks you can combat aggression by not having anything in the tank for the fish to stake out and call their own.

my Achilles is, well let's say "less than welcoming" I found an MS13 tattoo on him the other day....

I was going to divide the QT tank with diffuser panel to separate him a little and see how that goes. Or just throw them in all together and see how it goes?

Or I could set up the QT, try to catch my tailspot blenny in a 6x3 sps tank and then just go in the basement and drink a 1/2 gallon of bleach and call it a day.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the qt... no hiding spots or hiding spots? i was going to put some plastic rocks and other assorted hiding spaces but i know that in aggressive freshwater tanks you can combat aggression by not having anything in the tank for the fish to stake out and call their own.

I always use PVC elbows in all of my QTs. Gives the fish a place to hide if stressed.

314GzCoulVL._SY300_.jpg

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have to use soil drainage fitting as they come in 5 and 6" fittings.

they are made from hpde which should be non toxic. I googled around, some public aquariums use hpde piping.

anyone have any experience? drainage pipes are the corrugated black pipes with slits in them. very thin. will have to weigh them down with some stones as they float.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back