False Ammonia Readings w/ Copper Treated Water (Image Included)

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've already been well informed that liquid test kits will give a false positive of ammonia presence if there is copper in the water. Since I like to torture myself, I thought "lets test the QT water, and saw results from test tube #1. Of course @ a reading of 4ppm ammonia according to this color, my initial thought was "$&@* time for WC!", even though my 2x ammonia alert badges show all is well and fish are acting quite normal

But recalling all the wonderful advice from pros like@Humblefish & @melypr1985 , I knew this was a false positive, and wanted to do a quick experiment to provide an image for others who might be skeptical if their test kit really is giving a false positive

Tube 1: Water from QT (with coppersafe 2-2.5ppm) Tested , showing 4ppm ammonia

Tube 2: Water from DT - tested as is
Tube 3: Same exact water from DT - but added 2x drops of coppersafe, shook, then tested

media

As you can see, tube 2 gives a clear 0, while tube 3 shows... what? like 12ppm? lol

Just wanted to provide some image proof for anyone who might question the truth of liquid test kits in copper water! I've heard that one test kit (I think it's seachem?) claimed to work accurately even with copper, using the same testing methods they used in their badges, but I'll let others speak on behalf of the truth to this, since I've only read it & never tested myself.

Hope this helps! Anyone is free to use this thread an/or picture in any form they please, to help keep others calm & educated =)

Cheers!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nicely laid out! Thanks for putting this together.

Good work, I'm amazed you got the API kit to actually read 0 period :p

thanks for taking the time to do this experiment and sharing your findings with us :D

Cheers! It was a quick & easy experiment luckily, but a great reassurance that not everything may be what it seems. False readings can cause us to have our hands in the tank more, maybe do a few 100% WCs, blame the bio-media we seeded with 1 bacteria product, and get new media and try a different product, and just cause a world of pain both to ourselves, and our fish who now had to go through many changes (netting, brand new water with potentially different PH, levels, temp, etc, removed nitrifying bacteria to go through a mini-cycle with new media, etc)

So the more informed we are thanks to pros like Mel & humble, the better off we'll be!

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have issues with seachem ammonia alert badges giving a false negative with coppersafe? I've been battling ammonia in my 2 qts, and my alert badges would go from yellow to green (alert) after a couple days of heavy feeding. After a water change they would go back down to yellowish. However they would generally read as some color between dull yellow and light green even after a WC. After adding coppersafe they turned bright yellow and never change. Anyone experience a false negative before?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have issues with seachem ammonia alert badges giving a false negative with coppersafe? I've been battling ammonia in my 2 qts, and my alert badges would go from yellow to green (alert) after a couple days of heavy feeding. After a water change they would go back down to yellowish. However they would generally read as some color between dull yellow and light green even after a WC. After adding coppersafe they turned bright yellow and never change. Anyone experience a false negative before?

Two things to consider:
  1. It can take several hours (or longer) for the color to return to yellow after turing green, even if ammonia is no longer present.
  2. IME; the badge always looks sorta greenish under ambient light. However, if you shine a bright white light either directly behind it or overhead, you will see it's true color.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but the issue is that after coppersafe treatment the badge is bright yellow and has been since I started coppersafe. This was three days ago. Don't know that I trust it now

Domenico Petrillo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe will totally give you a “false positive” of an ammonia reading with the API Ammonia test kit! I ran several tests with tank water and distilled water. After contacting both Mardel and API this was a solid conclusion. Seems the only viable way to test for ammonia after you have dosed with Coppersafe is the Seachem Ammonia Badge.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back