FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried last night to get a good photo of it, but my iphone just makes everything florescent and blah. I'll break out the 5d and gets some pics soon - I'm so lazy though... I measured just under 200 par with normal water circulation.

I was reading about adding a scrubber then just ran the air line to my skimmer out the window instead. The problem is the low temperatures outside helping cool down the tank water. It's a never ending maze down the rabbit hole, isn't it?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried last night to get a good photo of it, but my iphone just makes everything florescent and blah. I'll break out the 5d and gets some pics soon - I'm so lazy though... I measured just under 200 par with normal water circulation.

I was reading about adding a scrubber then just ran the air line to my skimmer out the window instead. The problem is the low temperatures outside helping cool down the tank water. It's a never ending maze down the rabbit hole, isn't it?

I'll have the opposite problem... It'll warm up my tank in the summer to crazy temps!

Pirates.Reef

High End Coral Collector / Vendor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of everything this morning.

New frags... I'm looking forward to them acclimating and coloring up in my tank.

Pirates Reef Starburst... Correction... RMF Bubble Yum
fragsandnems (1 of 12).jpg

RMF Psychoberry
fragsandnems (2 of 12).jpg

Colorado Sunburst
fragsandnems (5 of 12).jpg

Some through the front glass shots. I'm still perfecting these so be patient with me. Shooting through thick glass is tough.

frontshots (3 of 8).jpg

frontshots (2 of 8).jpg

frontshots (6 of 8).jpg

frontshots (8 of 8).jpg

RR Rainbow Blossum... Color settling in a little nicer as it adjusts to my system.
frags (4 of 4).jpg
Man the frags I sent you got some great color in your system. I'm impressed

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I made that mistake last time and roasted it. Its getting some good pigmentation now as it was pretty white when I got it and will be slowly working it up to higher par and hope to leave it in 400 par in the end.

spathulatacloseup (3 of 4).jpg

spathulatacloseup (2 of 4).jpg

spathulatacloseup (1 of 4).jpg

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I made that mistake last time and roasted it. Its getting some good pigmentation now as it was pretty white when I got it and will be slowly working it up to higher par and hope to leave it in 400 par in the end.

spathulatacloseup (3 of 4).jpg

spathulatacloseup (2 of 4).jpg

spathulatacloseup (1 of 4).jpg

Nice Spat! should colour up a beauty, Miss mine I need to have one in my reef again!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Spat! should colour up a beauty, Miss mine I need to have one in my reef again!
Thanks! I'm excited to see the red pigmentation in it. This was the color I preferred but its still early... That color could change on me. I'm just happy its alive and seems to be progressing in the right direction.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm excited to see the red pigmentation in it. This was the color I preferred but its still early... That color could change on me. I'm just happy its alive and seems to be progressing in the right direction.

More than most SPS, I see spath change dramatically color wise. Who knows, may end up with a red body, neon pink corallite rims, and flaming yellow polyps.

... if It does, I'll be ordering :D

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than most SPS, I see spath change dramatically color wise. Who knows, may end up with a red body, neon pink corallite rims, and flaming yellow polyps.

... if It does, I'll be ordering :D
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I've never gotten to see a spath go through those changes before but I've observed something similar in milles over the years. Mari milles will change colors like 4x over a year when I first get them. It was a wild ride and usually ended blandly. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually a pretty good comparison, that's kind of what happened to the wild Spath I tried. I got another from a vendor that had been used to tank life, it stayed the same but colors became more rich. I gave it to a buddy when I started running out of room.

Last edited:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Confetti from Ty. The pinks literally glows under actinics. However the coral is Very pretty even in white light...

6C2A5931-7773-46B1-86E3-02780177B725.jpeg

Sam
You should stand over his frag tank...so much drooling over it he probably needs to install a drool guard over it! :)

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Confetti from Ty. The pinks literally glows under actinics. However the coral is Very pretty even in white light...

6C2A5931-7773-46B1-86E3-02780177B725.jpeg

Sam
Nice work Sam! Those babies look happy! It is truly a special piece!
You should stand over his frag tank...so much drooling over it he probably needs to install a drool guard over it! :)
My skimmer is rated for 450 gallons, heavily stocked. I got you covered... Drool away.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank updates:
1) The tank equivalent of leg day at the gym... Swapped out old bulbs.
0314191407.jpg

2) Added a Avast Marine Spyglass reactor XL and run both ROX carbon and GFO in it together. It's nice being able to ditch two terrible reactors for one good one that can run both media. For those curious, ideally you don't want carbon to tumble due to it releasing dust but if you use ROX carbon which is super hard and mix if with GFO in a true fluidized reactor like the Spyglass, it's perfect and I haven't had any issues with dust so far. Highly recommend it. Its easy to swap media too... Just pull the top portion off, leave the pump running, dump the old media out, rinse, add new media, put back on reactor body, put on rinse cap, rinse GFO into a bucket, and swap back to the normal cap and you're done. No lid to unscrew or thumbscrews either... No tubing to mess with too!

3) Still waiting for time to swap out to external skimmer, new larger return pump, rebuild manifold, and add the larger CaRX with peristaltic pump.

4) Oh, I'll be 38 lbs heavier by next week.
Capture+_2019-03-14-15-55-41.png

5) Went ahead and ordered the new gyres. My old ones were a bit noiser than I like for the display and just a tad less power than I want as well. Went with the new XF350s... Supposedly quieter, just a hair more power, and hopefully the cover on top helps prevent algae growth too. I'll move the two XF250s to the two frag tanks and use them in there instead for much better flow in the frag tanks.

6) High pH still going strong with 8.1 low and 8.5 highs. Not sure if I see faster growth yet but its only been 1-2 weeks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back