FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You dont have to be that elaborate, I just tell him Ill pick it up after the shelter in place is over.
This shelter in place/working from home is what’s got me in trouble and my wallet dried out. Never had the opportunity to get shipments anytime I wanted like now!

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time to get more bang for your buck say u work a lot a crazy job and u can never take off. You buy the “frag” in say January every two weeks u send ty a message saying ur boss is being a pain and u can’t get off the following January you tell him you can finally take the shipment.
Boom you get colonies for the price of frags

I’m two for two doing this

I’m guilty too. Ty cut my frags and then the new lights I just hung sparked a very impressive algae bloom. Like you said, colonies arrived because I took so long getting the algae under control. The ole SPS tank does NOT like a change!

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everyone has been using this ploy on Ty for awhile and he had no idea....
Next time someone asks him for a delay in delivery or pickup he is going to think “hey wait a minute!”

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guilty too. Ty cut my frags and then the new lights I just hung sparked a very impressive algae bloom. Like you said, colonies arrived because I took so long getting the algae under control. The ole SPS tank does NOT like a change!
Seems like everyone has been using this ploy on Ty for awhile and he had no idea....
Next time someone asks him for a delay in delivery or pickup he is going to think “hey wait a minute!”
I never noticed a pattern but now... hmmmm.

On an unrelated note... all frags are to be shipped within 3 weeks of ordering or I’ll record a live video of me feeding them to my old emperor angel at the LFS now.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TCK Pikachu regaining its yellow slowly
3F018AF7-0B55-49B2-BEEC-C848B165C5BB.jpeg

BC Bubblebath Unicorn finally sprouting branches
FDDD92F0-06F9-4B9C-BBA9-F2D05512DEE4.jpeg

TSA Princess Peach
B9C54233-7019-45B6-A08B-ABF0B95CE5F3.jpeg

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What happened to the Pikachu? I’d also like to know your PAR on it. Mine is solid yellow. I like the lighter blue/green on yours!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the Pikachu? I’d also like to know your PAR on it. Mine is solid yellow. I like the lighter blue/green on yours!
Mine was solid yellow too. It’s was still reeling from the denitrator episode and probably the drop of nitrates from 50 ppm to 5 ppm. Par is 375.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the denitrator episode documented in this thread?
It is not currently. It happened shortly after my second kid was born so I skipped spending time documenting it. Then the pandemic happened and I had other things on my mind. But really, I just don’t like focusing on negative and didn’t mention on here. Haha.

So quick gist of it, nitrates went from 50ppm to 5ppm in about 4 weeks. A little faster than I wanted but can’t say it wasn’t really effective. Of course there was a bit of loss of color due to such a drastic change of nitrates but color really didn’t fade too terribly in most acros. The ones that got it hardest were yellows and reds.

Fast forward to about 1+ months of use and I see predominately my shortcake, confetti, pink lemonade, and shades of fall losing color and turning basically black. Long term black color turned to STN and death. It was strange to see. Everything else was fine. Talked to a couple buddies running denitrator around the same time and they saw similar things in their shortcakes at least. Decided to kill the denitrator and do water changes for the next couple weeks to flush any potential contaminant out. Corals started to recover and color return. Certain ones are still recovering. I’m pretty sure this isn’t a reaction to the lowered nitrates. I’ve lowered my nitrates like that before without this type of consequence before.

My buddy who killed his denitrator saw the same improvements. So at the end of the day, I don’t know why it happened but I know it started with my denitrator and ended with it as well.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It is not currently. It happened shortly after my second kid was born so I skipped spending time documenting it. Then the pandemic happened and I had other things on my mind. But really, I just don’t like focusing on negative and didn’t mention on here. Haha.

So quick gist of it, nitrates went from 50ppm to 5ppm in about 4 weeks. A little faster than I wanted but can’t say it wasn’t really effective. Of course there was a bit of loss of color due to such a drastic change of nitrates but color really didn’t fade too terribly in most acros. The ones that got it hardest were yellows and reds.

Fast forward to about 1+ months of use and I see predominately my shortcake, confetti, pink lemonade, and shades of fall losing color and turning basically black. Long term black color turned to STN and death. It was strange to see. Everything else was fine. Talked to a couple buddies running denitrator around the same time and they saw similar things in their shortcakes at least. Decided to kill the denitrator and do water changes for the next couple weeks to flush any potential contaminant out. Corals started to recover and color return. Certain ones are still recovering. I’m pretty sure this isn’t a reaction to the lowered nitrates. I’ve lowered my nitrates like that before without this type of consequence before.

My buddy who killed his denitrator saw the same improvements. So at the end of the day, I don’t know why it happened but I know it started with my denitrator and ended with it as well.
Thanks for the rundown Ty. I have a buddy that has been using one for years. I’ll have to send him this. Strangely he has great color and good growth.

Luckily my SPS consumption of nutrients keeps an even balance with my feedings and I don’t have to run macro or my denitrator.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the rundown Ty. I have a buddy that has been using one for years. I’ll have to send him this. Strangely he has great color and good growth.

Luckily my SPS consumption of nutrients keeps an even balance with my feedings and I don’t have to run macro or my denitrator.
Yeah, it was odd. Like only acropora microclados was being affected and any acro similar to it.

I know my fish don’t get the spotlight often but I got some big eaters and poopers roaming the tank and I feed a ridiculous amount of food. I’ve always relied on some sort of additional support to keep nitrates lower with all the feedings and bioload. I’ve always been a heavy import, heavy export type of guy and I feel a good fish population with adequate feedings is helpful to maintain a nice balance in the tank for corals.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an FTS for those that appreciate the pulled out view? ;)
The 12 year old boy in me has so many jokes for this but I should be better than that so I’ll just chuckle to myself. :p

I’ll work on getting a decent FTS this weekend. It’s so hard with a 6’ span to capture a nice one in my opinion. Everything looks so small and hard to see color as well. Plus, from a DSLR perspective, I’m not as versed with landscape type shots versus macro shots. I’m a one trick pony.:confused:

Back