OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that. I only tested at startup on mine and it was 6.8 IIRC. A mix of personal skeleton, Reborn, ARM coarse, Middle Keys. (It was all hands on deck with Covid supply chain struggles). All would be mush at that level for sure.
Love the resourcefulness. If it really came down to it... I’d start killing off the cheap acros and using their skeletons to feed my CaRX so that the pretty acros could survive. That’s really dark... :oops:

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the resourcefulness. If it really came down to it... I’d start killing off the cheap acros and using their skeletons to feed my CaRX so that the pretty acros could survive. That’s really dark... :oops:
You do NOT want to be a meteor shower cyphastrea in Ty's tank when the CArx gets low

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do NOT want to be a meteor shower cyphastrea in Ty's tank when the CArx gets low
giphy.gif

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is what I ended up doing. I couldn't source Reborn, ARM, nor even ESV two-part. Harvested a 5G bucket full of slimer, brown stag, orange monti came out of my display. That needed to be cleared out anyway. The stylo was going to be next, until my LFS had a flood while closed. That covered me until the backorders cleared.

My display is still a mess, but I have ton of good stuff in the frag system. Need a few more weeks of "all-clear" for aefw :( before I refill the display.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is what I ended up doing. I couldn't source Reborn, ARM, nor even ESV two-part. Harvested a 5G bucket full of slimer, brown stag, orange monti came out of my display. That needed to be cleared out anyway. The stylo was going to be next, until my LFS had a flood while closed. That covered me until the backorders cleared.

My display is still a mess, but I have ton of good stuff in the frag system. Need a few more weeks of "all-clear" for aefw :( before I refill the display.
I’m already eyeballing my system for who is going in the calcium reactor if the supply of media dries up anytime soon. Glad you’re knocking out the aefw. At least they aren’t the tank killers they used to be with all the ways to fight them now.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m already eyeballing my system for who is going in the calcium reactor if the supply of media dries up anytime soon. Glad you’re knocking out the aefw. At least they aren’t the tank killers they used to be with all the ways to fight them now.

Yeah, I never felt compelled to hoard toilet paper but my UPS guy is sick of me hoarding reef supplies. Especially the 65lbs boxes of reef crystals. Gotta remember to tip that guy.

I'd be super bummed if these buggers were in my display. In the frag system it is pretty straightforward work. Just tedious and repetitive.

What is your preferred "newer" method on AEFW? My latest discovery was potassium chloride dip. Mixes almost clear, very very mild on acros, and shrivels aefw in just a couple minutes. I cannot tell if KZ Flatworm Stop is doing much, but am on my third liter of it anyway.

That last video was awesome. Beautiful colonies. Nice soundtrack too.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your preferred "newer" method on AEFW? My latest discovery was potassium chloride dip. Mixes almost clear, very very mild on acros, and shrivels aefw in just a couple minutes.

This, I use "Lo salt" from the supermarket which is about 55% strength, I'd swear the corals looked happier a couple of hours after, I can't recommend a dose as I can't measure how high it is but I use half a teaspoon (kitchen measuring spoons) in a litre of salt from the tank, any bugs fly off but that means you will lose the good guys as well as the bad.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, I use "Lo salt" from the supermarket which is about 55% strength, I'd swear the corals looked happier a couple of hours after, I can't recommend a dose as I can't measure how high it is but I use half a teaspoon (kitchen measuring spoons) in a litre of salt from the tank, any bugs fly off but that means you will lose the good guys as well as the bad.

That "Lo Salt" has some proportion of potassium chloride (KCl) in it I believe. At least that is what wiki says about KCl. And yes, it bums me out to kill off my pods like that. Am also losing some small berghias, sadly.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That "Lo Salt" has some proportion of potassium chloride (KCl) in it I believe. At least that is what wiki says about KCl. And yes, it bums me out to kill off my pods like that. Am also losing some small berghias, sadly.

Cheap and safe for corals, anything that flies off in the first 10 seconds or so gets dropped in the sump if it is a good thing, it is natural and very few people test potassium unless they do icp tests, as a stiff almost paste it kills aips great! ;)

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I never felt compelled to hoard toilet paper but my UPS guy is sick of me hoarding reef supplies. Especially the 65lbs boxes of reef crystals. Gotta remember to tip that guy.

I'd be super bummed if these buggers were in my display. In the frag system it is pretty straightforward work. Just tedious and repetitive.

What is your preferred "newer" method on AEFW? My latest discovery was potassium chloride dip. Mixes almost clear, very very mild on acros, and shrivels aefw in just a couple minutes. I cannot tell if KZ Flatworm Stop is doing much, but am on my third liter of it anyway.

That last video was awesome. Beautiful colonies. Nice soundtrack too.
I’m a huge fan of potassium chloride. It’s been my staple for the last 3-4 years. I don’t even own a bottle of Bayer anymore.... which not having to deal with pesticides is wonderful. I was hesitant to use it anymore once I had kids.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a huge fan of potassium chloride. It’s been my staple for the last 3-4 years. I don’t even own a bottle of Bayer anymore.... which not having to deal with pesticides is wonderful. I was hesitant to use it anymore once I had kids.
Do you use KCL as a pre-introduction dip as well?

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Anything new gets KCl... inspected for bite marks... plugs removed and anything not flesh gets glued over.
What's the procedure for this? I haven't used bayer, not too keen on how terribly toxic it is, and many people say revive isn't great for sticks, especially smooth skins

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the procedure for this? I haven't used bayer, not too keen on how terribly toxic it is, and many people say revive isn't great for sticks, especially smooth skins
I summarized it here.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went a couple more shades blue when I swapped the ATI T5 fixture for Radions with T5 supplements. My eyes must have adjusted as it’s pleasant to look at. I would guess 18-20k spectrum but it really is a guess.
I should correct myself. Radions on AB+ with 2 blue+ and 2 actinic T5 bulbs on all frag tanks. For my display I prefer Radion 14k setting with 2 blue+ and 2 actinic T5 bulbs. The video I posted was more blue than usual in the display because it was right around dusk.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I summarized it here.

Cool thread. But you have since dropped Bayer from the protocol, correct? I was a fan for a long time, but just too much trouble to handle the stuff.

I wonder if anyone has tested KCl on red/black bugs. The way it crushes pods, stars, brittles and worms is unreal.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thread. But you have since dropped Bayer from the protocol, correct? I was a fan for a long time, but just too much trouble to handle the stuff.

I wonder if anyone has tested KCl on red/black bugs. The way it crushes pods, stars, brittles and worms is unreal.
Yes, that was an old thread and I have dropped Bayer and do an annual interceptor treatment in the display instead of the dip. It’s most effective if it can react for awhile and a dip isn’t long enough in my opinion to knock anything out with interceptor.

It has somewhat limited effectiveness on red/white/black pods in my experience. They are tough as hell. Interceptor in a really high concentration is best for those in my opinion though I’ve only encountered the white bugs to be able to try them on.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is KCL safe for everything? I may start using this as my primary dip

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back