mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag tanks connected to display system
645FC2DA-98FD-48E0-8BFE-767F7034A14E.jpeg
F0629092-9DDD-4F33-9F99-895CD9CDA863.jpeg
those are not frag tanks - more like colonies tanks!!!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick tank update:

Display system
-nutrient levels have been holding at 5ppm nitrates and under 0.08 ppm phosphates
-denitrator still doing it’s job perfectly
-lanthanum still slowly decreasing phosphate level as I ramp it up each week
-gig still hiding in the back of the tank. I got a better spot for it that it will want to stay at when I get the chance to get back in and pull it out again
-growth seems to be back to pre-denitrator levels. I am currently on the 3.75-4 setting on the Dastaco... it goes to 10. I am using kalk so that is supplementing as well.
-skimmate has been super dark lately with the lanthanum use
-going to increase par in one of the frag tanks to 400-500 range and see how the majority of the tenuis in there take to it

Backup system
-corals are coloring and encrusting in the system. All good signs
-uptake has reached a peak and remains steady
-I fragged a ton of gonis... can’t wait to see them all swaying on the frag rack this morning
-fragged a bunch of dragon soul and hellfire torches too... frag rack bathed in gold
-fun seeing all that movement in a frag tank from the usual sticks I usually have

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What frag tanks are you using Ty? Would definitely take that as my display.
Thanks bud! Just the Lowboy frag tanks and then I drill it for an overflow. Just make sure to leak test them before putting them into service. I’ve had 1 out of 4 have a leak in the top corner of one side. It’s not too uncommon of an issue.
That's incredible! What light fixture are you using?
Thank you! I’m using Aquaticlife Hybrid fixtures on all the tanks with Radion G4 pros and 2 blue + and 2 actinic bulbs.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can’t find my memory card so I had to go out and buy a new (new to me) camera. Switching families from my Nikon D5300 to the Canon family (Canon 90D) so I can ditch the brown filter and be able to use just white balance on the Canon.

Stay tuned for terrible pictures as I tackle the learning curve with this camera and setting the white balance. I’m looking forward to the new shots with this one. Plus, get ready for some 4k closeup videos of my face in all it’s glory!
0475E2DA-28E9-49D0-A5B7-62766E051E1D.jpeg

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I still can’t find my memory card so I had to go out and buy a new (new to me) camera. Switching families from my Nikon D5300 to the Canon family (Canon 90D) so I can ditch the brown filter and be able to use just white balance on the Canon.

Stay tuned for terrible pictures as I tackle the learning curve with this camera and setting the white balance. I’m looking forward to the new shots with this one. Plus, get ready for some 4k closeup videos of my face in all it’s glory!
0475E2DA-28E9-49D0-A5B7-62766E051E1D.jpeg
Not to get too technical on your thread but please let us know if the white balance trick we talked about works on a Canon. It obviously doesn’t work on reef lighting on a Nikon.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get too technical on your thread but please let us know if the white balance trick we talked about works on a Canon. It obviously doesn’t work on reef lighting on a Nikon.
Hey bud, I know it works because the great @bubbaque does it for his pictures... even works under full actinics! I'll mess around with the new Canon and report back down the road after I had some time with it.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey bud, I know it works because the great @bubbaque does it for his pictures... even works under full actinics! I'll mess around with the new Canon and report back down the road after I had some time with it.
Sounds great. If it works as well as you say, I may be selling all my Nikon gear and following you to the dark side!

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There’s the ability to preset your white balance, using white balance cards, with both Nikon and Canon. When a buddy pointed out how to do it, I could not get it to work in reef (blue spectrum) lighting. And I have 1 tank in full spectrum. It still wouldn’t work. I could go outside and do it though. So I know my D750 was capable of it, but it just won’t work under reef lighting. My buddy does use Canon, so I am interested in what happens here.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s the ability to preset your white balance, using white balance cards, with both Nikon and Canon. When a buddy pointed out how to do it, I could not get it to work in reef (blue spectrum) lighting. And I have 1 tank in full spectrum. It still wouldn’t work. I could go outside and do it though. So I know my D750 was capable of it, but it just won’t work under reef lighting. My buddy does use Canon, so I am interested in what happens here.
It actually came preset for Radions for custom white balance so I might not need to do too much. Came gently used from another reefer. Score!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back