OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My FarmerTy Lava Lamp Goni. Love the colors on this one!
6CFE74FD-78E9-46E5-B22B-6F221BF10917.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do really well with gonis for 6 months, two weeks and four days. Then they are dead two days later. No chemistry I measure can explain it. Everybody else (acropora, fancy torches) seem happy.

I am going to stick with torches for now as they seem to like what I do although I can find some brown jelly under the microscope sometimes.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently Aquaticlife hybrid with 2 b+ and 2 actinic T5 bulbs with 3 Radion G4 Pros

That is a CC Hellboy

You know, at the time you posted this it was still 2020 in the States. :p But I was taking up to the 2nd off since I rung in my 40th that day. Older and wiser now... watch out.

I have always run a sump with my systems since 2009. Maybe another Farmer?
Forgot about that Hellboy...I know I have it somewhere on a list of coral to buy lol

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice! How to you get such extension on your goni’s? I have 2 and the polyps are barely lit 1/4”.
Depends on type of Goni as I know there are short tentacle varieties as well. I mainly stick to the long tentacle ones and stick to aquacultured ones as they seem to always be the healthiest and don’t suffer from slowly dying over the course of a year.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do really well with gonis for 6 months, two weeks and four days. Then they are dead two days later. No chemistry I measure can explain it. Everybody else (acropora, fancy torches) seem happy.

I am going to stick with torches for now as they seem to like what I do although I can find some brown jelly under the microscope sometimes.
Try one of my cultured ones next time you’re in town bud. I bet you’ll have much better success. Wild ones tend to just slowly die over a year.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Longtime cruiser of the club, first-time build thread poster.

I'm not going to bore you with details of when my passion for the hobby began and my first fish tank... yada yada yada.

I know what everyone came for... pics and videos! Please be patient with me as I figure out how to post videos and pics on this forum. I got it down pat on my local forum so forgive the missteps while navigating the learning curve.

Shot these last night, enjoy!

Op, do you quarantine inverts, corals, and fish?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op, do you quarantine inverts, corals, and fish?
I quarantine all in my backup system before anything ever hits my main system. But this has been more in the last 2-3 months since my backup system has been on point. Before that I only quarantined fish.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine all in my backup system before anything ever hits my main system. But this has been more in the last 2-3 months since my backup system has been on point. Before that I only quarantined fish.
Thank you. I’m setting up a waterbox 220.6 and I want everything perfectly controlled..trying to gather as much information as I can.

for your acro quarantine do you dip, quarantine, observe and re dip? 72 days fallow?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’m setting up a waterbox 220.6 and I want everything perfectly controlled..trying to gather as much information as I can.

for your acro quarantine do you dip, quarantine, observe and re dip? 72 days fallow?
I’m not as stringent with the acro intaking of new pieces. I dip, remove everything but flesh (no plugs, glue, etc), superglue over anything I can’t reasonable cut away, and place in the backup system to observe. There is no count down. Just removing the plug and carefully viewing it under lights to look for pests after dipping has kept me from getting any pests alone. Now that I have the backup system, it’s just another extra step to prevent any incidental pests as I can observe for a month or so before moving anything to the main system.

Public service announcement, red bugs, white bugs, and black bugs will survive most dips (bayer, revive, potassium chloride, etc). Doesn’t help that they are really hard to see. I used to do an annual bombing of my tanks with interceptor for this reason alone... at 2-3x the concentration recommended for red bugs, which is one large pill for 400 gallons. Seems like 3-4x will knock out the white bugs and 6x will knock out black bugs from what I read.

I’ve done 6x the concentration in my backup system and besides killing the normal things it kills, pods, shrimp, hermit crabs, etc... the super high dose did kill bristleworms too but that was the only difference I noticed from running such a high dose of it versus regular dose.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Deep Water"

I was following a thread from @shom about his tribulations with deep water wild acropora. We were all speculating about any potentially different requirements they may have. Eventually we got around to trying to understand what qualifies as a "deep water". It was suggested that it is a bit of a misnomer. It was an interesting discussion that @jda helped moderate.

Is deep water more a description of the hosting habitat, or more of a description of the coral itself?

How is it typically distinguished from non-deepwater acropora?

In any case, that gold thing is a beauty.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Deep Water"

I was following a thread from @shom about his tribulations with deep water wild acropora. We were all speculating about any potentially different requirements they may have. Eventually we got around to trying to understand what qualifies as a "deep water". It was suggested that it is a bit of a misnomer. It was an interesting discussion that @jda helped moderate.

Is deep water more a description of the hosting habitat, or more of a description of the coral itself?

How is it typically distinguished from non-deepwater acropora?

In any case, that gold thing is a beauty.
Just a colloquial term I feel in the hobby as it doesn’t always relate to collection location. Anything thin, spindly, and smoother skinned I just call a deep water. Combine that with the fact that this thing I put it at 450 contradicts the fact that it can’t handle higher par.

Back