FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great looking rock structure! Were you putting them in dry with each swap?

I wish I managed my sand better. I went old school and left it be. Treated me well over the years but realized I always upgraded systems every 3 years and for the first time, I have a 4 year old system and I’m not liking where it’s headed. I’ve been reefing long enough I can see the tell-take signs of an impending crash if I leave it this way for another year or so.
Thanks. It was fun to build. That piece is the product of about 20-30 bits and chunks. It has a dozen or so little landing pads to mount stuff to it.

Yes, it went in white & dry. I should have done it the right way as you are proposing, culturing it with tank bacteria. I thought I could pull it off, bit at a time. But no. Seven months of a slightly noisy biome. That system was so simple and stable for so long. Testing weekly, I could predict ALK, NO3 and PO4 almost dead on every time. Just bump up the DOS by 10ml every month or so.

Again, it could have been worse. I can't recall any mortality but the rocks are continually covered in evolving gunk.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just gotta figure out what I’m going to do with the sand. I’m leaning towards siphoning out 1/3rd of it each time I do a water change and replacing with the new sand that has been sitting in a bucket curing with bacteria in a bottle. Who knows.
Yeah, I was going to say a 1/4 each time and run the carbon reactor hard for a day. How about curing the new sand with your own tank bacteria? Throw in some you used media, substrate, rock whatever?

What kind of "old tank" symptoms are you watching for/seeing?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was going to say a 1/4 each time and run the carbon reactor hard for a day. How about curing the new sand with your own tank bacteria? Throw in some you used media, substrate, rock whatever?

What kind of "old tank" symptoms are you watching for/seeing?
1/4 sounds safer. Good idea. I was going to sprinkle some of my old sand over the new sand to seed as well. Shouldn’t take much and the grain size is similar enough I wouldn’t even notice the difference.

I’m just seeing a steadily increasing phosphate level, rocks are just covered in detritus and not clearing as easily as it used to, sand if disturbed will cloud the tank easily, and of course a sump full of detritus. So some parts maintenance and some parts impending old tank syndrome.

I’m also contemplating down the road to renew all plumbing as the vermatiids over time I can see have choked them up slowly like cholesterol in arteries.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 sounds safer. Good idea. I was going to sprinkle some of my old sand over the new sand to seed as well. Shouldn’t take much and the grain size is similar enough I wouldn’t even notice the difference.

I’m just seeing a steadily increasing phosphate level, rocks are just covered in detritus and not clearing as easily as it used to, sand if disturbed will cloud the tank easily, and of course a sump full of detritus. So some parts maintenance and some parts impending old tank syndrome.

I’m also contemplating down the road to renew all plumbing as the vermatiids over time I can see have choked them up slowly like cholesterol in arteries.

Fine felt sock in the sump, syphon tube discharge end in the sock, you might want to watch your ato, you can syphon all day if you want.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine felt sock in the sump, syphon tube discharge end in the sock, you might want to watch your ato, you can syphon all day if you want.
That’s a great idea and what I do for general maintenance. For a DSB that hasn’t been disturbed for 4 years, I worry about hydrogen sulfide. So when I suck the sand, everything with it is leaving the system hopefully. Or as best as I can manage.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s a great idea and what I do for general maintenance. For a DSB that hasn’t been disturbed for 4 years, I worry about hydrogen sulfide. So when I suck the sand, everything with it is leaving the system hopefully. Or as best as I can manage.

What @najer said plus polyfilter to absorb the hydorgen sulphide and go slowly. Not all at once.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are giving me ideas. :)
If you have pockets of sand 4 years old and unmanaged... I am only exporting that to a bucket. Asking polyfilter to remedy that potential toxin load is a bridge too far in my book. But I am old and stodgy (and about to get vaccinated!) so take that into account.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SC Rainbow Dynamite chalice - variation per piece is amazing
9F490507-D659-4417-B964-3EB354A3BFE6.jpeg

JF Sunday Driver
6E0415BB-FD52-4675-8407-038812E94411.jpeg

FarmerTy Pandemic - hard to see the beauty sometimes in the mega colony of crazy branches.
6EBEF6CA-EAB9-4E9E-82E3-8163FA8CB332.jpeg

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RRUSA Angry Birds
E909E3C5-0AF9-407C-8601-FCF37B01B56E.jpeg

MattV Rainbow Envy
5FFD1350-0F17-41FD-9719-7D2A4F0F0F98.jpeg

RR Raven
A6902571-F028-4EEE-BEF9-75621E53BB12.jpeg
I picked up a frag of RRU Angry Birds from Tony at RRU a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to it growing out!

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a frag of RRU Angry Birds from Tony at RRU a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to it growing out!
Me too! I did a big pack with Tony recently and had a few doas with one being RRU AB, he's gonna send me a box soon with a replacement. looking forward to comparing it to my RRC AB.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! You went direct to the source! How’s it looking?
It looks great. Tony runs a lot of the Coral Farmers Market shows with Steve Tyree, so I see him a lot. I just had him bring one for me to the Santa Ana, CA show so I didn't even have to have it shipped!. Here's a crappy pic of it.

RRU Angry Birds-5.jpg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great. Tony runs a lot of the Coral Farmers Market shows with Steve Tyree, so I see him a lot. I just had him bring one for me to the Santa Ana, CA show so I didn't even have to have it shipped!. Here's a crappy pic of it.

RRU Angry Birds-5.jpg
Must be nice to have hand delivered RRUSA pieces. Looks great!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back