FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK since we are a frag equipment tangent I have to ask where I might find some of those frag tongs / long tweezers. I must have 5 different metal versions, none I which I like. Too short, or too stiff, or too large at the ends. Or too rusted.

At a couple frags shows (remember those?) the guys had these inexpensive looking but totally suitable long, plastic, tapered end tongs. Some even had the silicone or rubber coatings on the end.

Any tips?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK since we are a frag equipment tangent I have to ask where I might find some of those frag tongs / long tweezers. I must have 5 different metal versions, none I which I like. Too short, or too stiff, or too large at the ends. Or too rusted.

At a couple frags shows (remember those?) the guys had these inexpensive looking but totally suitable long, plastic, tapered end tongs. Some even had the silicone or rubber coatings on the end.

Any tips?
Tagging along... I found curved hemostats at harbor freight and have been using those forever... and they are getting really rusty lately.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Any tips?
Hmmm, this looks promising! It doesn't rust and even FLOATS. I think they are coming to US any time soon.

1618256747978.png

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, this looks promising! It doesn't rust and even FLOATS. I think they are coming to US any time soon.

1618256747978.png
Not what I saw, but certainly in contention. High strength "Carbon fiber" construction is highly questionable, but then so is 99% of the "stainless steel" junk we buy.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any tips?

I have used this one everyday for over a year. Works great without a spot of rust. Cheap too.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm following on the tongs train as well.
Me three. I used that instant rubber in a can stuff on some regular stainless steel tongs once. Needless to say the coated tongs didn’t line up very well so it was like trying to eat a hamburger with snow mittens on
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1618256747978.png
I have a couple of these and don't use them. They flex way too much if you're using a rack that has the rubber inserts like Zen Reef. On egg crate they would work fine.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of these and don't use them. They flex way too much if you're using a rack that has the rubber inserts like Zen Reef. On egg crate they would work fine.
I was thinking the same. I could never use tweezers because I need something I can apply a death grip to for removing plugs from my plug locking frag rack. The hemostats work perfectly for that... maybe I just need to rubber dip the ends of them.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s your go too tools Bill? Been using the Boston aquaculture farm stuff for a while and it’s OK. I do use my gryphon saw more though then bone cutters. I find a get cleaner cut and lose less coral. Downside is impossible if the colony is encrusted onto the rock or racks or if I can’t get a single frag without taking 4 branches with it lol.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RR Firecracker... super underrated. I broke off a large chunk my accident fragging so I chopped it up. This was before they all went pink on me after fragging. They’re one of the few pieces I’ve noticed loses color after fragging.
5CF1E249-0215-4827-AAC4-CFD6E72BF0B0.jpeg

Walt Disney I saved for someone
BED64CDE-6B62-4079-8415-E58F4AD57D20.jpeg

RMF Psychoberry
A3EE300B-ADF4-4818-9DBE-9FF080888437.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back