FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it! Mine should be pretty consistent normally as I take it under the same custom white balance and light settings every time. The post processing would be my only hitch for variation in consistency. My editing setup is upstairs away from my tank so I can’t do the side my side comparison that is convenient.

Upload a few differing edited versions onto your phone and take your phone to your tank to compare?

mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine should be pretty consistent normally as I take it under the same custom white balance and light settings every time. The post processing would be my only hitch for variation in consistency.
A very good tip regarding the consistency in white balance and light settings. This is where most people went wrong with taking photos of their tank. they tried to get pictures when the light "looks good" to their eyes. But in reality, the bluer hue, that many tanks now keep, is really hard on the camera sensor; therefore, a "photo setting" for light (if you will) is very helpful. You're now able to make two of the biggest variables constant, the spectrum of the light output AND the in-camera color correction via the white balancing. If you got these two just right, the post work should be very minimal.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very good tip regarding the consistency in white balance and light settings. This is where most people went wrong with taking photos of their tank. they tried to get pictures when the light "looks good" to their eyes. But in reality, the bluer hue, that many tanks now keep, is really hard on the camera sensor; therefore, a "photo setting" for light (if you will) is very helpful. You're now able to make two of the biggest variables constant, the spectrum of the light output AND the in-camera color correction via the white balancing. If you got these two just right, the post work should be very minimal.

Both interesting comments, 6 T5s and a 75 watt led supplement here, once all the T5s are on a white balance setting of bright sunshine or cloudy, not progressed to raw yet but only need to tweak brightness and contrast to show what I see.

Re Ty's comment about process remotely, my desk is right next to my big tank. :)

DSC_0034 (1024x683).jpg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upload a few differing edited versions onto your phone and take your phone to your tank to compare?
That sounds like the life of a man without young kids. :p

My phone is the worst to edit with sadly. iPhones tend to enhance blues and reds in the pics and it doesn’t translate the same to my computer. So using my phone as the reference photo will skew all my pics with slightly lower saturation and emphasis on blues and reds since it looks enhanced on the phone.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! Control your variables if you can!

Post processing for me usually includes cropping, exposure, and slightly adjusting the white balance to fine tune the picture. We like to think every part of the tank is getting hit with the same color spectrum but with T5/Radion hybrid lighting, some areas get more T5 lighting and others get more LED so the white spectrum needs to be clicked to the left one or two clicks when in different areas of the tank.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ty your stuff looks great as usual! My tank is finally back to normal and only thing is i found that works is to keep up with water changes. My jkr looks identical to yours and everything else is bouncing back nicely. Keep up the great work!!

sorry for the crappy cell pic, I need to get out the Nikon and get some good shots.

6E77ABF6-8B60-4E25-B745-935175916FEA.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ty your stuff looks great as usual! My tank is finally back to normal and only thing is i found that works is to keep up with water changes. My jkr looks identical to yours and everything else is bouncing back nicely. Keep up the great work!!

sorry for the crappy cell pic, I need to get out the Nikon and get some good shots.

6E77ABF6-8B60-4E25-B745-935175916FEA.png
Beautiful! Yeah, I’ve gone from no water changes to water changes every 2 weeks. It’s just easier to keep everything in line without having to test for trace all the time or send in ICP tests. Glad everything is recovering nicely!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back