OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for the life of me can't get my cell phone pictures to look half as good as yours. Are you using filters? Also, I'm sure you probably mentioned in one the hundrered of pages in your form, but I was wondering what type of camera and lense you use to do you photography?
I use an Orphek clip on lens with my iPhone.

For DSLR, I have a Canon 90D with 60mm macro Laowa lens and 90mm macro Tamron lens. Was using the same lenses with my old camera body, Nikon D5300 but had to use a Neewer Brown filter to get color correct shots. The new Canon I just use custom white balance and use no filters.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting my top down fix. :D
91BRHNI.gif

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more shots from my iPhone/Orphek clip lens combo. While it doesn’t capture the vibrant colors as well, I can appreciate it does a decent enough job for a quick pic and still impressed with its ability to pull the correct blues from the coral without saturating the whole picture blue from the lights.
8A2355E2-3921-4BCB-AFC3-DE915F9271B2.jpeg
D5982D24-5097-4567-9FB3-E683D76D9E59.jpeg
7724E381-D083-47D7-AE70-A5C967544947.jpeg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more shots from my iPhone/Orphek clip lens combo. While it doesn’t capture the vibrant colors as well, I can appreciate it does a decent enough job for a quick pic and still impressed with its ability to pull the correct blues from the coral without saturating the whole picture blue from the lights.afequate
8A2355E2-3921-4BCB-AFC3-DE915F9271B2.jpeg
Cocktail Martini GIF by Archer

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beautiful! Yeah, I’ve gone from no water changes to water changes every 2 weeks. It’s just easier to keep everything in line without having to test for trace all the time or send in ICP tests. Glad everything is recovering nicely!

Hey Ty, question on this as you obviously have a very high demand in trace elements that the SPS want.

Besides water changes and the calcium reactor. Are you doing anything else to help? Kalkwasser, any trace element dosing? What salt are you using for water changes and what % are you doing every 2 weeks?

My SPS has been growing like crazy (knock on wood) and I am doing 10% water changes every week with a calcium reactor but my trace elements are still low everytime I do a ICP test, not crazy low but always a little off. I am scared to change anything since it is going so well and highly doubt I will but wanted to see if you are doing anything in this area.

Thanks!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ty, question on this as you obviously have a very high demand in trace elements that the SPS want.

Besides water changes and the calcium reactor. Are you doing anything else to help? Kalkwasser, any trace element dosing? What salt are you using for water changes and what % are you doing every 2 weeks?

My SPS has been growing like crazy (knock on wood) and I am doing 10% water changes every week with a calcium reactor but my trace elements are still low everytime I do a ICP test, not crazy low but always a little off. I am scared to change anything since it is going so well and highly doubt I will but wanted to see if you are doing anything in this area.

Thanks!
I run Kalkwasser in my ATO and do biweekly Instant Ocean water changes. I’ll check my potassium once in a blue moon and send in an ICP but that’s about it. No specific trace element dosing.

What elements are you low in?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run Kalkwasser in my ATO and do biweekly Instant Ocean water changes. I’ll check my potassium once in a blue moon and send in an ICP but that’s about it. No specific trace element dosing.

What elements are you low in?

I am using regular instant ocean too.

Low in potassium, bromide, boron, strontium. I am not really concerned about it, just wanted to see if you were doing anything extra!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using regular instant ocean too.

Low in potassium, bromide, boron, strontium. I am not really concerned about it, just wanted to see if you were doing anything extra!
Potassium is the only one I hawk. I try to keep it around 400ppm. I dose as needed on that one.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Thanks!
If you’d like to replenish those trace elements, doing a 40-60% water change should bring you back inline. However, since you are only using 1 brand of salt, the problem with those particular elements may be the salt.

Personally, I use a 50/50 mix of Reef Crystals and Red Sea Blue. My theory is if 1 salt is lacking in a particular mineral, the other salt should make up for it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’d like to replenish those trace elements, doing a 40-60% water change should bring you back inline. However, since you are only using 1 brand of salt, the problem with those particular elements may be the salt.

Personally, I use a 50/50 mix of Reef Crystals and Red Sea Blue. My theory is if 1 salt is lacking in a particular mineral, the other salt should make up for it.
Interesting. I may try that. IORC mixes so ALK high that I sometimes have to knock it down when doing a larger WC. This might be a better way. Dumping in acid also dumps the pH which is hard enough to keep as it is.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last of the iPhone pics.
unnamed blue tips
18477399-3E63-4F4F-A8A9-EDE4DBE7E3ED.jpeg

Tyree Purple Dragoneyes
03550012-7DD5-4325-B584-EE5B25E6C192.jpeg

Sexy Corals Rainbow Dynamite chalice
06C5C766-367A-420E-97FD-B028C33E7FF1.jpeg

Side phone shot of the RMF Lucky Charms. First branches I’ve had in over 2 years since I saved it from doom with only encrustment left

E5066B5C-2EB4-4A58-A3C8-1F9DDFB289B4.jpeg

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Interesting. I may try that. IORC mixes so ALK high that I sometimes have to knock it down when doing a larger WC. This might be a better way. Dumping in acid also dumps the pH which is hard enough to keep as it is.
You’re right on both accounts. RC is very cheap but mixes way too high on the alk. I feel like RS Blue is a higher quality salt (and higher price) but it mixes real low on alk. So, when you combine them they tend to mix at 8.8 to 9.5. Which is perfect for my system. And there’s no pH drop!

Sorry for the hijack Ty lol

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right on both accounts. RC is very cheap but mixes way too high on the alk. I feel like RS Blue is a higher quality salt (and higher price) but it mixes real low on alk. So, when you combine them they tend to mix at 8.8 to 9.5. Which is perfect for my system. And there’s no pH drop!

Oh let's just hijack away. I get IORC super cheap; I piggyback on my LFS when he does a huge order on sale. Last time I got 16 X 200G boxes which is easily a year's supply.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m learning too… all good my friend.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty, you still running t5'/SB leds on the display?
I am not currently. I have replaced that lighting setup to match my frag tanks for easier photos and transition between tanks. Currently running Radion G4 pros with aquatic life hybrid fixtures. 2 blue+ and 2 actinic t5 bulbs.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not currently. I have replaced that lighting setup to match my frag tanks for easier photos and transition between tanks. Currently running Radion G4 pros with aquatic life hybrid fixtures. 2 blue+ and 2 actinic t5 bulbs.
How you liking the change? Can you tell much difference between the two?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you liking the change? Can you tell much difference between the two?
I honestly miss my T5s a bit but I don’t miss the heat or the lack of controllability. The little difference in appearance is not worth the heat or lack of controls besides on/off.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back