FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful. The big angel in your last tank was the most eye catching. It was always interesting to watch.
Follow up on the fish list. Isn’t it gonna be not enough space for all those angels?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful. The big angel in your last tank was the most eye catching. It was always interesting to watch.
Follow up on the fish list. Isn’t it gonna be not enough space for all those angels?
Yeah, that emperor was my favorite. I'll probably have to rehome the emperor in about 4-5 years or get a bigger tank. The others don't grow as large as he does so I think I'll be fine. I'll keep an eye out on stress level and move some angels if there looks like a loss on quality of life or more aggressive fighting as they all get bigger.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero experience with Angels. I thought they need a ton of space.
The emperor was pretty happy in the old tank but I knew I'd have to give him up in another 2-3 years at that point. I hated seeing him swim around between the rocks and and slowly not fitting anymore because he was getting bigger.

Regals, flames and majestic prefer to hideout in the rock work so they don't do a ton of open swimming. Space isn't as required with them as much as say an equally sized tang.

I always judge by activity level. Powder blue tangs and Achilles tangs I feel need a much bigger tank than an equally sized angel. They swim all day and are super active.

So if I see an angel start getting anxious, I'll thin out the tank a bit as they get bigger.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Ty, did your emperor ever pick on sps, lps or nems? I just bought a tiny, juvenile emperor and was wondering what I just got myself into, lol!

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Flame Wrasse! I have the laziest Imperator, he just sits in the corner looking up for a free meal. Like the one before he will be 6" before he makes his change. I am wondering if it is just the African strain that takes that long to change?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ty, did your emperor ever pick on sps, lps or nems? I just bought a tiny, juvenile emperor and was wondering what I just got myself into, lol!
Oh heck yeah. My old one that was 7" would eat parts of my Hawkins echinata colony as a snack every quarter. Its a good thing it grew like a weed in the tank. Most fleshy LPS are toast and you can forget about zoas for the most part... Just like a bag of skittles for most emperors. The small one I have in the tank would pick at all the acros incessantly when first introduced but now a couple months later, hardly picks anymore. They are awesome fish with great personalities if you can forgive their occasional coral snacking ways. SPS dominant usually keeps you out of trouble.
Love the Flame Wrasse! I have the laziest Imperator, he just sits in the corner looking up for a free meal. Like the one before he will be 6" before he makes his change. I am wondering if it is just the African strain that takes that long to change?
Thanks! You find one yet Alton?

Hmmm, I'll not versed in the different characteristics of the emperors depending on region. Heck, I don't even know where mine came from. My old emperor changed at like 4". This tiny guy has already gotten big fast in a short amount of time in the tank. I need to not feed so much! [emoji3]
its gotta be some HD cam that you are not telling us about... a phone CANT do that... lol
Haha, LG V20 phone. I'll do an inception style shot... With someone taking a picture of me videoing the tank for you.., maybe even have someone take the picture of the person taking the picture for a true inception style photo.
Awesome bro! Looks like you feed them good too! Can you tell us how much you feed and how often?
A ton Rev. Pellets 3x/day on an automatic feeder and frozen at night, consisting mysis, PE mysis, bloodworms, rods, LRS, and nori. I'll give a biweekly treat of live blackworms as well.
this tank is great, great quality video too
Thank you! All shot and edited on the phone. Moved houses in March so still ramping back up with this new tank but its finally starting to look a bit presentable now.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
//Haha, LG V20 phone. I'll do an inception style shot... With someone taking a picture of me videoing the tank for you.., maybe even have someone take the picture of the person taking the picture for a true inception style photo.//

hahahahah.... that made me laugh out loud! lol

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cornbred Flaming Phoenix starting to color up real nicely.

IMG_20180123_105318.jpg

IMG_20180123_105119.jpg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My supermale flame wrasse shows off every night since the female turned into an initial phase male a month back. He just flashes back and forth every night before feeding time. Guess its his way of saying, I'm the boss.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back