FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see that backup system up and running.

Also wanted to say thanks again for you taking it upon yourself to raise money for Adam... true testament of character.

PS. Kid #2 is a game changer, prepare yourself LOL

Mr Cheezy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful

These were all taken by my 35mm. Great for scene shots of your landscape.
82A1BE5F-99DD-4EA9-BE71-C45D3C396B6B.jpeg

CEECDCD9-F6D5-410C-8CCA-43085F775BD0.jpeg
AB3EF472-6BC9-484F-9798-97B76468E759.jpeg
B900394D-4489-453B-A332-FAF6EF060EAF.jpeg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone should do a "Tamron 90" thread, it is surprising how often they come up in picture threads, I also use one. :)
I love mine!
Excited to see that backup system up and running.

Also wanted to say thanks again for you taking it upon yourself to raise money for Adam... true testament of character.

PS. Kid #2 is a game changer, prepare yourself LOL
I'm wiring Radions as we speak on the backup system. :cool:

Hey, Adam is a great guy. I've message back and forth with him several times regarding our shared mutual love of anemones. When I heard he got into an accident and was fighting for his life, I knew I had to do something to help out his family. You always hope that when the time comes and someone is in need, that those around them will do what they can to help as much as needed. We are a community... bound by a shared love of a hobby. And when someone is down, as a community, we should all help to bring them back up. You can tell by the outpouring of help, that he was the type that would always help others in return if the situation was reversed. I keep him and his family in my prayers and wish him a speedy recovery.

The second kid is already changing the game and he isn't coming for another 2 days!!!

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy after the whole scribbled angel situation, i was just frustrated and took a step back. I posted a little more in bubbas thread yesterday about it, but the quick of it is a good friend is holding my acros after i sold my 210g. They're doing great except for an asd rainbow milli mini colony that bleached.

I'm looking at starting a new tank here after i get back from Japan. We'll see how things progress.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy after the whole scribbled angel situation, i was just frustrated and took a step back. I posted a little more in bubbas thread yesterday about it, but the quick of it is a good friend is holding my acros after i sold my 210g. They're doing great except for an asd rainbow milli mini colony that bleached.

I'm looking at starting a new tank here after i get back from Japan. We'll see how things progress.
Glad you’re getting back into it again. SPS tanks are definitely unforgiving. I’ve had my fair share of “why me” moments.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is as far as she’s gonna go for the next couple of months. I finished out electrical enough that it wasn’t a hazard even though I’ll still need to clean up some wires here and there.

I made a make-shift ATO from a 5-gallon bucket, a pump, scrap tubing, and some optical sensors. I’ll add a much more clean looking solution after I get settled with the second kid coming Friday. I just needed something where I could walk away for a week at a time and it still function.

I dropped in a Fungia plate and a monti frag as testers. I’ll add fish in another month or so and let the system start to mature before I chance it with any acros.

Its been awhile since I started a tank from scratch. It was nice knowing I was able to kick one up still... rusty but still effective enough... I’ll take it.

878E4D61-CE9E-41C4-B0E6-8DC86AE7732A.jpeg
998924E5-AF6B-49B1-9401-00161A11CC3B.jpeg

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is as far as she’s gonna go for the next couple of months. I finished out electrical enough that it wasn’t a hazard even though I’ll still need to clean up some wires here and there.

I made a make-shift ATO from a 5-gallon bucket, a pump, scrap tubing, and some optical sensors. I’ll add a much more clean looking solution after I get settled with the second kid coming Friday. I just needed something where I could walk away for a week at a time and it still function.

I dropped in a Fungia plate and a monti frag as testers. I’ll add fish in another month or so and let the system start to mature before I chance it with any acros.

Its been awhile since I started a tank from scratch. It was nice knowing I was able to kick one up still... rusty but still effective enough... I’ll take it.

The Jebao is the return pump I assume... which one are you using?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow...nice work!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome ty!! Thanks for the share, your names actually been referenced when I asked reef friends about successful sps keeping :) nice to finally see the glory!
Thanks a bunch! Just think of keeping SPS not as a linear line to the top of the mountain but a series of smaller hikes up the mountain with some diversions down into some valleys. There’s lots of ups and downs with keeping them but those who persist and keep chugging up the mountain will appreciate the view from the summit much more.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch! Just think of keeping SPS not as a linear line to the top of the mountain but a series of smaller hikes up the mountain with some diversions down into some valleys. There’s lots of ups and downs with keeping them but those who persist and keep chugging up the mountain will appreciate the view from the summit much more.
After rebuilding I'm finally to the point I added a few acropora and their encrusting instead of dying lol maybe I stumbled up that first little ledge .

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ty, just got caught up on your thread. Things are looking great! What are you using for a stand on those low boys? Also FYI, you're a Grampa - my CSB from you split a couple of days ago! Cigars all around!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice wire management.
Thanks! That was actually my first equipment board I've ever done. My last one was outsourced... @Jimbo662
After rebuilding I'm finally to the point I added a few acropora and their encrusting instead of dying lol maybe I stumbled up that first little ledge .
Woohoo! I'm working on that first ledge myself with the backup tank! Its a great feeling! Ride with it and keep an eye on alk!
You knocking out that partition wall and making the whole garage a fish room?
Bring the sledgehammer and some wine for the wife! Let's do it!
Hey Ty, just got caught up on your thread. Things are looking great! What are you using for a stand on those low boys? Also FYI, you're a Grampa - my CSB from you split a couple of days ago! Cigars all around!
Huzzah! Having another child this week and became a grandpa in the same week!

I used the Husky Storage shelves from Home Depot. Each shelf can hold 1,500 lbs. Time will tell how it holds up to the salty environment. I went with the smaller 3 shelf unit instead of the larger one due to me needed to install a ceiling mounted storage rack above the tank to replace the storage I "borrowed" from the garage for the backup frag system!

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s correct. Both are manual. Shooting at that range, even if it had auto, I’d still be using manual the whole time anyways. So why pay extra?

The tamron was cheaper because it was an older model too. I have no complaints for price/value ratio on that one.
Thanks very much for the advice, and loving the new tank look, as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back