FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Those are 6”x3” travertine tiles from Home Depot cut in half.

Thanks! I might move a colony or two to the display tank that I’ve neglected lately.

Close, 6”x3” travertine tiles cut in half.
Bubba bites his tiles In half like a real man
I to cut it in half

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora microclados
0F203895-77AC-4451-958E-F1D349DE4949.jpeg

FarmerTy Lava Monster frags
53B1D189-6312-4680-8FA6-7745E41E5682.jpeg

AV99 Sunset Envy
CDC13468-CD44-4D3D-A999-1D8B68314B85.jpeg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ty! Your corals are amazing!! Newbie question for you, You keep saying to feed alot, How often and what do you feed?
Cheers! Mark
Thank you!

I feed a full solo cups worth of frozen every 2-3 days. It consists of mysis, rods food, blood worms, Angel food mix, and fish eggs. Auto feeder also dumps 3x/day a pellet food blend of food. 1 full sheet of nori/day.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What export methods are you using to keep your nutrients in check with all that feeding?
Giant skimmer rated 2x capacity of the tank and GFO. I was running a biopellet reactor but I’m switching to a sulfur denitrator. Just ordered it and I’ll have it online next week hopefully. I also plan to add chaeto. I’m hoping the chaeto and denitrator will aptly replace the function of the biopellet reactor. I wanted to get away from carbon dosing and try something else for awhile.

A good summary of my system can be found here.

Realposition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you worried at all about the increased alkalinity consumption with the denitrator? When I ran one I was doing 2 part and my alkalinity dose was almost twice as high as my calcium dose. The inconsistency of the alk consumption was actually what got me away from the denitrator and to start carbon dosing.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you worried at all about the increased alkalinity consumption with the denitrator? When I ran one I was doing 2 part and my alkalinity dose was almost twice as high as my calcium dose. The inconsistency of the alk consumption was actually what got me away from the denitrator and to start carbon dosing.
I had read about that being a potential drawback to using one but never ran across where it was almost double. I have the Trident so I’ll track and see once it’s fully online. If so, I’ll add a doser with 2-part Alk solution and dose as needed. Be nice to help keep the pH higher as well.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light do you have your Bill Murray in? Mine has the blue/white tips, but the body is more green...
Aquatic life fixture with two Radion G4 Pros set at AB+ and 2 actinic T5 bulbs and 2 Blue+ bulbs. Par around 300-325.

Realposition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read about that being a potential drawback to using one but never ran across where it was almost double. I have the Trident so I’ll track and see once it’s fully online. If so, I’ll add a doser with 2-part Alk solution and dose as needed. Be nice to help keep the pH higher as well.

Makes sense. Perhaps my case was outside of what most would see in alk consumption, I guess it depends how much nitrate is being eaten up. I think most of your ph increase from 2 part will be offset by the denitrator lowering ph depending on what solution you decide on using.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Perhaps my case was outside of what most would see in alk consumption, I guess it depends how much nitrate is being eaten up. I think most of your ph increase from 2 part will be offset by the denitrator lowering ph depending on what solution you decide on using.
That’s a good point. It may just replenish what was removed in the first place at that point.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Sul deni and tbh, my alk doesn’t fluctuate that much, even when dialing it in.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who uses it!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running one for a bit? What size system and which reactor are you using?
My brotha... I’m using the small aquamaxx on a 240. For almost a year my NO3 couldn’t get over 1.0 ppm. After I killed cyano it’s 10.0 ppm, but well on the way down. ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back