OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I am such a sucker for acros in the red/pink/lavender color pallette. Nice corals, nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Me too! I didn't do it on purpose to post the 3 together... just how I took the shots. I noticed when I posted I was like... red theme much today? :p

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a lot like Acapulco Gold!
Barney_s_Farm_8_Ball_Kush_large.jpg
That's actually a good name for it, mark!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest a we all change your name to MasterTy.

The growth.. The color... Well.. No words.
Too kind sir! I have my ups and downs like everyone else.
Don't inflate his ego!!! He's been using @bubbaque 's pictures!!! Ty told me!!!
Have you been talking to my wife? She says the same thing all the time!

Who’s bubba? Never heard of him. ;)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love ur eternalflame
If anyone is like oh it’s not a name brand coral so I’m a pass on it don’t it’s worth the money very nice red hues that turn from maroon to white well worth the money

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It honestly doesn't matter in my opinion. The whole theory of feeding them frozen food and pellets when they are young so that they do not learn to nip at your corals is a fallacy in my opinion. Its innate... like asking a monkey not to swing in a tree.

What I find most successful is to have enough acros that if they do nip, it can be spread out amongst a lot of different acros so one isn't just picked on and to not worry about about nipping as there really isn't any damage usually. They usually in my experience stop doing it after 6 months to a year as they don't ever get any reward from it. Unless you're a giant emperor angel, then you go from nipping to just eating entire tips of acros whole.
+1 I had to get rid of my Emperor for the same reason. Cleaning up all of the tips and making 1/4" frags was getting cumbersome. Now I may have to do the same with my captive bred Majestic. He's destroying tips on several of my acros. All my other Angels could care less about the acros.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love ur eternalflame
If anyone is like oh it’s not a name brand coral so I’m a pass on it don’t it’s worth the money very nice red hues that turn from maroon to white well worth the money
Wha??!? I’m not name brand? :eek::p Thanks bud. I’m a big fan of it. Decent grower too!
That Eternal Flame has some very unique growth, any idea what species it is?
I never tried to look it up and try to identify. I don’t really have anything else in my system with that growth form.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I had to get rid of my Emperor for the same reason. Cleaning up all of the tips and making 1/4" frags was getting cumbersome. Now I may have to do the same with my captive bred Majestic. He's destroying tips on several of my acros. All my other Angels could care less about the acros.
Oh jeez. You’re getting me worried. I better keep an eye on the majestic now!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wha??!? I’m not name brand? :eek::p Thanks bud. I’m a big fan of it. Decent grower too!

I never tried to look it up and try to identify. I don’t really have anything else in my system with that growth form.
Ur name runs thru the underground coral scene

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur name runs thru the underground coral scene
I just picture a bunch of reefers hanging out in abandoned buildings with music pumping, a DJ spinning, actinic colored laser lights, and everyone wearing orange glasses.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I’m going to do one of those weird type posts you may not be used to on here. I’m going to update on the tank itself using words and no pretty pictures. :eek: Before everyone unsubscribes, hear me out. It may be helpful to hear process and results every once in awhile for your own planning purposes. Maybe? Let’s try it out. I promise it won’t be too painful.

1) Yes, this will be numbered to keep everyone focused
2) Tank has recovered color nicely since everything went brown after my vacation
3) Nitrates are 2.5 ppm after roughly 1-2 months of the sulfur denitrator running. Highly efficient! Drawbacks... it consumes alk and lowers pH a bit. I’ve had to dose alk 2-part weekly to keep it where I want. Nitrates have gone down from 75 ppm to 50 ppm when I did a water change to bring it down. Then the denitrator did the rest over the span of a month. Set and forget... supposedly I can leave it for years with no maintenance. My kind of equipment.

Divide by 10 when looking at it sideways.
5137E3D3-BE09-4565-A25F-4CD9F52259BD.jpeg

4) The backup system has been mostly ignored until late. My 9 week old and the holidays have kept me busy and away from this system but I’m working to keep it stable now. At one point, calcium was 150 ppm and alk was registering at 4 dKh. I have it stabilized currently. Will be adding kalk in the ATO to maintain parameters.

5) I ordered the Versa 4-pack of peristaltic pumps. I will be using one to feed the CaRX, one to feed the denitrator, one to dose alk in the display to keep up with how much is used up by the denitrator, and one for the backup tank to dose Calcium.

Goals for the new year:
-plumb the bigger skimmer
-swap time larger return pump
-build new manifold
-replumb frag tank
-get backup system up and stable

Alright, here’s one picture as a treat for reading all those words.

56F9D837-5213-477E-B78F-CACA8A694F8D.jpeg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JF Homewrecker
4A0F6494-76C8-405D-80ED-409E0FC053C3.jpeg

Jackson’s Tenuis - pink is starting to come in on it. Not bad... especially for full spectrum photo.
FD136D15-1D67-4BD4-B580-51D8409FF3BA.jpeg

MattV Psycho Asylum - a little light from my nitrate reduction from 50 down to 2.5 ppm but still not bad for full spectrum.
D844048C-9561-4518-A560-D0A6574E05D4.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back