FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick updates:
-lanthanum chloride on a slow drip into my skimmer has kept phosphate at 0.03 ppm with my versa doser with no GFO
-nitrates have bottomed out to 0.2 ppm. I’m not a fan of nitrates this lite and turning down the denitrator is impossible as it’ll start producing hydrogen sulfide. I appreciate the results with the denitrator but i think I’m going to go with a refugium with chaeto instead. I don’t need almost zero nitrates and I don’t like having to always keep my eye on it. Chaeto will hopefully pull the nitrates down into the 10-20 ppm range where I prefer to be.
-my new sump arrives next weekend and I’ll be working on swapping it out with my old one soon
-cleared out all mini carpet nems in one frag system... now I have one more to do it in and then suck all the detritus out of that tank as well
-as part of my display system refresh, I’ll slowly start pulling sand out of my tank with each water change and once all gone, replace with new caribsea special reef grade sand
-I’ll also start cycling new rock and cure it with some old rock for the next 3-6 months. Once the sponges take, I’ll start working on my new aquascape
-when replacing the sump, I’ll also be replacing the pvc lines for the tank. The vermatiid growth has clogged some lines a bit and figured renew/replace everything while I’m replacing the sump anyways to be set for another 5 years hopefully
-people may be wondering why I’m doing all this... I feel since I feed so much and keep a higher population of fish and don’t use any form of mechanical filtration like socks, that my system is just gummed up with detritus right now and I’m going to be experiencing old tank syndrome sooner than later. Once I noticed my crazy high phosphate... without intervention it would jump to 0.24 ppm daily if I removed GFO/lanthanum... I knew it was time to start refreshing the system and to go with a sump with socks that can remove detritus to keep some of this at bay. Once I removed a pvc line and looked in and saw how clogged it was, I knew it was time to refresh the pvc as well. Hopefully this all pays off and I’ll be rewarded with a newer facelift on this tank and it won’t get as clogged up as quickly as this system has in the last 4 years with no mechanical filtration.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, this looks promising! It doesn't rust and even FLOATS. I think they are coming to US any time soon.

1618256747978.png
I have this and it is great at moving frags around or holding a frag as you’re cutting it and don’t want the piece to drop into the rock/crack abyss. It’s terrible for precision grasping or anything that requires extra hold strength. The soft silicone tips are gentle on corals but not great when extra force is needed

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this and it is great at moving frags around or holding a frag as you’re cutting it and don’t want the piece to drop into the rock/crack abyss. It’s terrible for precision grasping or anything that requires extra hold strength. The soft silicone tips are gentle on corals but not great when extra force is needed
Thanks for the first hand experience bud!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the versa Ty? If they ever come back in stock I have half a mind to buy one for a constant Kalk drip.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the versa Ty? If they ever come back in stock I have half a mind to buy one for a constant Kalk drip.
They had a rough start... another story of a reef equipment manufacturer pushing out a product too quick in my opinion without proper testing. Not sure they’ll ever admit it but the first pumps went out with a serious flaw... the tubing will eventually push to the front of the clear front cover and lose its siphon. From my understanding, they worked with some engineers to fix the issue and issued these plastic guards that sit in place in the cover to prevent the tubing from moving too far forward. I didn’t use mine for 6 months but when finally applied it, realized the issue and called tech support. While they took care of me, they went through troubleshooting like this was not an issue. I was like, I know the issue my man, just send me the part and stop pretending you guys did a terrible job of designing it. Once I mentioned the exact piece, they happily took care of me. It rubbed me the wrong way that the rep pretended initially that the issue didn’t exist and that I had to ask for it but either way, got 4 working versa pumps now so can’t complain too much.

Besides that initial issue, the pump works great. The continuous drip ability is amazing. You can see it just slowly churning... something I can’t do with my DOS. The app and better than advertised. I like it a lot better than the apex DOS control system for usability.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They had a rough start... another story of a reef equipment manufacturer pushing out a product too quick in my opinion without proper testing. Not sure they’ll ever admit it but the first pumps went out with a serious flaw... the tubing will eventually push to the front of the clear front cover and lose its siphon. From my understanding, they worked with some engineers to fix the issue and issued these plastic guards that sit in place in the cover to prevent the tubing from moving too far forward. I didn’t use mine for 6 months but when finally applied it, realized the issue and called tech support. While they took care of me, they went through troubleshooting like this was not an issue. I was like, I know the issue my man, just send me the part and stop pretending you guys did a terrible job of designing it. Once I mentioned the exact piece, they happily took care of me. It rubbed me the wrong way that the rep pretended initially that the issue didn’t exist and that I had to ask for it but either way, got 4 working versa pumps now so can’t complain too much.

Besides that initial issue, the pump works great. The continuous drip ability is amazing. You can see it just slowly churning... something I can’t do with my DOS. The app and better than advertised. I like it a lot better than the apex DOS control system for usability.
Yeah I've definitely followed the headache part with its release. No excuse for the rep acting that way. Maybe I'm naive but I have a hard time seeing that come from a different, more trusted company like Tunze for instance. Still seems like it could be a nice pump at a good price point. Just don't need a bunch of kalk on the floor or excessively dumped into my tank...that said I'm assuming if it fails it probably (or hopefully) wouldn't speed up the dose?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've definitely followed the headache part with its release. No excuse for the rep acting that way. Maybe I'm naive but I have a hard time seeing that come from a different, more trusted company like Tunze for instance. Still seems like it could be a nice pump at a good price point. Just don't need a bunch of kalk on the floor or excessively dumped into my tank...that said I'm assuming if it fails it probably (or hopefully) wouldn't speed up the dose?
With the new piece it shouldn’t fail. The whole premise of a peristaltic pump is always keeping the siphon intact with the 3 rollers always in some fashion pinching off the tubing. With the original issue, the the tubing would roll off the rollers and essentially lose the siphon. With the fix, shouldn’t happen any more.

If it did, with the pump if installed above the dosing point, shouldn’t drop fail and dump everything in from your container.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was told by my lfs owner yesterday that the versa is not on back order, but instead, being reengineered. So don’t expect to see one available anytime soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my lfs owner yesterday that the versa is not on back order, but instead, being reengineered. So don’t expect to see one available anytime soon
Got me a limited edition 4-doser Versa package then...:p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back