Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full spectrum Acrolandia
B3432B6C-D557-45DC-AEF3-282C76194FB4.jpeg
I knew what you meant. I agree the orange isn’t even close to a realistic representation whether under blues or even 10k for that matter. The orange filter adds rainbow colors to pics that simply are not there in real life.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Amazeball is even crazier than the one on your site! Maybe as soon as I finally sell one of my kidney's I can get one! ;Drool
You have two for a reason Jimbo… don’t question it. Just do it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an observation and a question about goni care. Over the years I've kept 4 of them of various colors. I lost the first one early into the hobby when my casualty rate was pretty high, so, fine.

The last three separate instances, they did really well for 6 months or so, and then one morning it wasn't fully open. Next day just dead. All other SPS and LPS just fine. A year later try again. Again grows from a golf ball to a baseball over several months, then dead in two days. Repeat. Mystified each time.

What would you consider gonis to be especially sensitive to?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an observation and a question about goni care. Over the years I've kept 4 of them of various colors. I lost the first one rearly into the hobby when my casualty rate was pretty high, so, fine.

The last three separate instances, they did really well for 6 months or so, and then one morning it wasn't fully open. Next day just dead. All other SPS and LPS just fine. A year later try again. Again grows from a golf ball to a baseball over several months, then dead in two days. Repeat. Mystified each time.

What would you consider gonis to be especially sensitive to?
I would say that wild gonis used to have a life expectancy of less than a year. Aquacultured varieties have much better success rates. Not sure which ones you’ve been trying.

If you try one of my red ones and they die, then something is not meshing with you and gonis.

But otherwise, I saw the same when trying some wilds. Good for a year and poof.

Cultured ones appreciate the same conditions as my acros. Stable parameters and I can put them anywhere… high par, low par, high flow, low flow. Doesn’t matter to them.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that wild gonis used to have a life expectancy of less than a year. Aquacultured varieties have much better success rates. Not sure which ones you’ve been trying.

If you try one of my red ones and they die, then something is not meshing with you and gonis.

But otherwise, I saw the same when trying some wilds. Good for a year and poof.

Cultured ones appreciate the same conditions as my acros. Stable parameters and I can put them anywhere… high par, low par, high flow, low flow. Doesn’t matter to them.
Thank you; that is of some comfort. I am going to assume they were wilds as they were LFS purchases that mostly source their livestock via transship. Any special feeding or just the usual fish food/poo?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you; that is of some comfort. I am going to assume they were wilds as they were LFS purchases that mostly source their livestock via transship. Any special feeding or just the usual fish food/poo?
Fish food/poo for me. I’ve never needed to supplement their feeding but I also feed my fish a ton and have a ton of fish.

Counter point being I have a ton of my gonis in my backup system now and there are just handful of fish in there and they are fed pellets only. Gonis still going strong.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys will appreciate this story. Was doing a water change last night on the backup system. Had my pump on one side of the tank pulling out water and had the hose from my new saltwater in the tank above it filling water back. Then I move that fill hose to the same tank that I had the other pump draining the tank. Left it there for 5 mins wondering why it was taking so long to fill. Then realized I still had the pump in the tank pumping out water. Basically pumping new water in and sucking it right back out.
Episode 4 No GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys will appreciate this story. Was doing a water change last night on the backup system. Had my pump on one side of the tank pulling out water and had the hose from my new saltwater in the tank above it filling water back. Then I move that fill hose to the same tank that I had the other pump draining the tank. Left it there for 5 mins wondering why it was taking so long to fill. Then realized I still had the pump in the tank pumping out water. Basically pumping new water in and sucking it right back out.
Episode 4 No GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm
Are you opposed to automatic water changes?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you opposed to automatic water changes?
I’m not opposed to someone setting that up for me. :D

Right now I don’t have the time to commit to putting that whole system together. Would be nice though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back