FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys will appreciate this story. Was doing a water change last night on the backup system. Had my pump on one side of the tank pulling out water and had the hose from my new saltwater in the tank above it filling water back. Then I move that fill hose to the same tank that I had the other pump draining the tank. Left it there for 5 mins wondering why it was taking so long to fill. Then realized I still had the pump in the tank pumping out water. Basically pumping new water in and sucking it right back out.
Episode 4 No GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm
Nice.

Have you done the one where you are refilling the tank and the clamp securing the hose inside lets loose? You know, the clamp on the hose that is connected to a pond pump with about a million feet of head pressure? Kinda like when you let go of a powerwasher spray handle? So that the water is actually crashing into the ceiling and walls, thereby moisturizing every piece of electric equipment in the room? No?? Oh. Me neither.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys will appreciate this story. Was doing a water change last night on the backup system. Had my pump on one side of the tank pulling out water and had the hose from my new saltwater in the tank above it filling water back. Then I move that fill hose to the same tank that I had the other pump draining the tank. Left it there for 5 mins wondering why it was taking so long to fill. Then realized I still had the pump in the tank pumping out water. Basically pumping new water in and sucking it right back out.
Episode 4 No GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Are you opposed to automatic water changes?

I’m not opposed to someone setting that up for me. :D

Right now I don’t have the time to commit to putting that whole system together. Would be nice though.

Matt, imagine how much time it would take him to work out how to program it to pump the same water in and out of the tank without changing the water! No wonder he hasn't set it up yet! ;Hilarious

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.

Have you done the one where you are refilling the tank and the clamp securing the hose inside lets loose? You know, the clamp on the hose that is connected to a pond pump with about a million feet of head pressure? Kinda like when you let go of a powerwasher spray handle? So that the water is actually crashing into the ceiling and walls, thereby moisturizing every piece of electric equipment in the room? No?? Oh. Me neither.
Sorry. Forgot the mandatory GIF required for this thread.

firefighter GIF

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, imagine how much time it would take him to work out how to program it to pump the same water in and out of the tank without changing the water! No wonder he hasn't set it up yet! ;Hilarious
Setting it up with the Apex is easy, I would gladly exchange time and labor for frags.
;Joyful

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting it up with the Apex is easy, I would gladly exchange time and labor for frags.
;Joyful

Careful what you wish for!!! o_O
Oh yeah, Jimbo has been there, done that. Haha.

The Apex part is the easy part to me. I apex all day. The harder part is sourcing two giant mixing containers, fitting them in the garage, plumbing everything through the wall, and getting the right peristaltic pumps to do the work. My total water volume is too much to be trying to do this through the DOS. I’d be hearing that annoyingly loud unit running all day to do auto water changes. I also have two separate systems so making it work for two systems is a kicker too. Lastly, programming the ro/di system to work with Apex to auto fill reservoir and mix without me doing nothing but adding the salt would be ideal. I want it all if you can’t already tell.
Basketball Wives I Come With A Lot GIF by VH1

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I'm setting up in my garage. Tank Depote.
Your Tank Depot in San Antonio has a much better in-store selection than the Austin one. But yes, that’ll be where I get my mixing containers once I get to that step. Keep me posted on your progress!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now...I thought you swore off Speciosa?? Couldn’t resist, could you?!
National Sugar Cookie Day GIF
This is the lone one that seems to still be alive in my system. It’s FarmerTy proof apparently. Had it a 1+ years now and it’s about the same size. Haha.

mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the lone one that seems to still be alive in my system. It’s FarmerTy proof apparently. Had it a 1+ years now and it’s about the same size. Haha.
whoa, there is a coral that Ty can't grow? Now you can feel the way I feel most of the time....with that frag, we're more relatable, finally. :D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back