FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s okay with you guys, I might something new for the new year.

I think instead of just posting pics every day of corals, I’d just take you guys along with my reefing life. So kind of a self documentary of my daily/weekly activities that I do to maintain the system, issues I come across, upgrades, repairs, crazy oops moments, and awesome successes I want to share. It’ll be a bit more sporadic but I think content itself may be a bit more enjoyable for some to follow then just a photo documentary. Thoughts?
I like the idea.
Examples:
a) My ICP habits and preferences
b) Additives?
c) When a given colony up and dies, here is what I do/don't do
d) The last time water hit the floor, it was because...

etc

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think instead of just posting pics every day of corals, I’d just take you guys along with my reefing life. So kind of a self documentary of my daily/weekly activities that I do to maintain the system, issues I come across, upgrades, repairs, crazy oops moments, and awesome successes I want to share. It’ll be a bit more sporadic but I think content itself may be a bit more enjoyable for some to follow then just a photo documentary. Thoughts?
Tell me you dropped the camera without telling me you dropped the camera… :p

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag spam
Also farmer ty thanks for answering my questions

34AA3D29-83FC-4495-95E4-DF3BA073507C.jpeg

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like that idea a lot. That would be awesome.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great idea! We can gain lots more out of this than just eye candy! As much as we love the eye candy!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea.
Examples:
a) My ICP habits and preferences
b) Additives?
c) When a given colony up and dies, here is what I do/don't do
d) The last time water hit the floor, it was because...

etc
I’ll answer D. Three nights ago an entire 100 gallons of perfect 1.025 salinity water warmed to the delightfully comfortable 78 degrees taking two heaters all day to accomplish this in the garage and decided to empty itself out on the floor and roll out the front of my garage. I had replaced a hose at the top of my container and it decided to settle sideways and start shooting water out the side of the lid opening until it all drained out.
Oh No Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also having troubles with my gonipora not opening all peramiters are good but still not opening any advise its by the sand bed with a kessil 160 tuna blue wb 20 cube
I typically try to put them in lower par and lower flow in those situations. I will say they are temperamental at times. I wish I had a magic answer for you.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we go folks. First steps on a new adventure.

Some might recall I was planning on reaquascaping my display. It’s been mostly neglected and I want to refresh it. This was 6-7 months ago… oh boy. The entire time I’ve had rocks cooking in a tub just taking up all my space in my fish room. They’ve been stewing in a delicious soup of old rocks from my sump and bacteria in a bottle mixed with live indo rock I bought around that time too. So here I am recommitting to it. Rocks should be good to go… added a sea hare to clean up the rocks a bit before I use it. Now to get rid of the wife and kids for a weekend and attack it!

Saddest part is this beautiful blue gig anemone has been just stewing away in a basket in the frag tank waiting to be released to its eventual glory, dancing in the flow on its own rock island in the display.
9FCB6B6E-95A7-455E-8201-E115693D27A5.jpeg

8C8032B7-97EA-4BF2-83DA-A671497EFB77.jpeg

B1AE1A62-508B-4074-9D4F-C6766680BA55.jpeg

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll answer D. Three nights ago an entire 100 gallons of perfect 1.025 salinity water warmed to the delightfully comfortable 78 degrees taking two heaters all day to accomplish this in the garage and decided to empty itself out on the floor and roll out the front of my garage. I had replaced a hose at the top of my container and it decided to settle sideways and start shooting water out the side of the lid opening until it all drained out.

I understand. It was freshwater in my case and slightly different reason, but I had a river coming out of my garage last week too, LOL.

Are you running kalk from your ATO? I'm wondering why you program the ATO off if the pH or alk are high?

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. It was freshwater in my case and slightly reason, but I had a river coming out of my garage last week too, LOL.

Are you running kalk from your ATO? I'm wondering why you program the ATO off if the pH or alk are high?
We’re garage river buddies!

Exactly why… nailed it on the head. I run kalk in my ATO and had some adventures with the top off and skimmer colluding on me and dumping 40 gallons of fully saturated kalk topoff water into my tank. Those two lines prevent that from happening again hopefully.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We’re garage river buddies!

Exactly why… nailed it on the head. I run kalk in my ATO and had some adventures with the top off and skimmer colluding on me and dumping 40 gallons of fully saturated kalk topoff water into my tank. Those two lines prevent that from happening again hopefully.
Your skimmer must be external?

mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're just pre-salting the driveway, in case you get hit with some bad icy weather...;)

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're just pre-salting the driveway, in case you get hit with some bad icy weather...;)
Not a bad idea… but I’m in Texas. :D Besides snowpacalypses once every 50 years… we don’t get much ice/snow.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! That describes exactly my last WOF incident. Only a 44G Brute. Thankfully, just enough water remained so that my Mag24 mixing pump stayed wet. (That pump can double as a heater btw. Efficient).

I also discovered that my APEX LDK sensor was perfectly placed on a high point in my basement floor. Cool!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! That describes exactly my last WOF incident. Only a 44G Brute. Thankfully, just enough water remained so that my Mag24 mixing pump stayed wet. (That pump can double as a heater btw. Efficient).

I also discovered that my APEX LDK sensor was perfectly placed on a high point in my basement floor. Cool!
I think we have all been there when lots of water is involved.

Like forgetting to close a valve on a 500g container that holds my rodi water, kicking the feed from the rodi unit on and going to work. Was fine until the water level got above the 90s to raise the pipe/container spout off the floor. Then it just ran rodi into the garage for 12 hours lol. Wife was not so happy when she opened the door, drove in and stepped onto a wet floor in her socks lol. (she doesnt drive with shoes). Luckily, only car and bikes in garage and the floor is sealed, but that was quite a bit of wasted rodi water.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all my shipping these days, one thing I find frustrating is shipping large chunks. This one was actually sent to me yesterday but they just have terrible success rates.

I’ve been mulling over the reasons for this. Main thing being needing exponentially more water per/surface area of corals. So shipping in a lot of water is helpful. My other theory is fill the bag with lots of air too. I see exporters doing this… granted with oxygen in the bags. Any one else have thoughts or direct experience with this?
61C09EE4-212E-47B5-ABBA-8FAA7154399F.jpeg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think we have all been there when lots of water is involved.

Like forgetting to close a valve on a 500g container that holds my rodi water, kicking the feed from the rodi unit on and going to work. Was fine until the water level got above the 90s to raise the pipe/container spout off the floor. Then it just ran rodi into the garage for 12 hours lol. Wife was not so happy when she opened the door, drove in and stepped onto a wet floor in her socks lol. (she doesnt drive with shoes). Luckily, only car and bikes in garage and the floor is sealed, but that was quite a bit of wasted rodi water.
I appreciate you fellas making up stories to make me feel better about my newbie water spill accident this week. This community is awesome! :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back