FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you fellas making up stories to make me feel better about my newbie water spill accident this week. This community is awesome! :D
My wife wishes it was made up lol. I do too, as the rear chewing I got for super cold wet feet from her was not good lol.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you had to go and jinx it, you'll get another snow storm this year....or the deep freeze, or something...it's better to be prepared
I got a coral fall out shelter. Instead of bags of beans, it’s bags of pellets and calcium reactor media.

mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all my shipping these days, one thing I find frustrating is shipping large chunks. This one was actually sent to me yesterday but they just have terrible success rates.

I’ve been mulling over the reasons for this. Main thing being needing exponentially more water per/surface area of corals. So shipping in a lot of water is helpful. My other theory is fill the bag with lots of air too. I see exporters doing this… granted with oxygen in the bags. Any one else have thoughts or direct experience with this?
61C09EE4-212E-47B5-ABBA-8FAA7154399F.jpeg
I do not want this topic to fall into the "previous page" gloss-over. I can follow the more volume idea/theory. but air, why would a frag need air? fish, maybe? frag, idk....enlighten me.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we have all been there when lots of water is involved.

Like forgetting to close a valve on a 500g container that holds my rodi water, kicking the feed from the rodi unit on and going to work. Was fine until the water level got above the 90s to raise the pipe/container spout off the floor. Then it just ran rodi into the garage for 12 hours lol. Wife was not so happy when she opened the door, drove in and stepped onto a wet floor in her socks lol. (she doesnt drive with shoes). Luckily, only car and bikes in garage and the floor is sealed, but that was quite a bit of wasted rodi water.
Sounds like another case of “big tank ppl problems”

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like another case of “big tank ppl problems”
Nope. Just me being an idiot and not turning the valve off. Just having a Blue Marlin RODI unit and not a 100 gpd one, which I could do just fine with, made it sooo much worse lol.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you fellas making up stories to make me feel better about my newbie water spill accident this week. This community is awesome! :D
Oh, you are severely underestimating my ability to repeatedly self inflict injury and general destruction.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all my shipping these days, one thing I find frustrating is shipping large chunks. This one was actually sent to me yesterday but they just have terrible success rates.

I’ve been mulling over the reasons for this. Main thing being needing exponentially more water per/surface area of corals. So shipping in a lot of water is helpful. My other theory is fill the bag with lots of air too. I see exporters doing this… granted with oxygen in the bags. Any one else have thoughts or direct experience with this?
61C09EE4-212E-47B5-ABBA-8FAA7154399F.jpeg
One of my LFS now gets Indo colonies transhipped every few weeks. They are similar in size to this. He has not mentioned survival issues from the ship, just the usual "will it survive captive" losses or brownouts.

I will ask how it is packaged next time I am there.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Just me being an idiot and not turning the valve off. Just having a Blue Marlin RODI unit and not a 100 gpd one, which I could do just fine with, made it sooo much worse lol.
I think I just found me a new RO/DI unit. How do you like it? Are you getting 1:1 ratio with it?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS now gets Indo colonies transhipped every few weeks. They are similar in size to this. He has not mentioned survival issues from the ship, just the usual "will it survive captive" losses or brownouts.

I will ask how it is packaged next time I am there.
That’s the part I was mentioning from exporters. I’ve gotten boxes of these and they pack the bags almost 50/50 with water and oxygen. So ratio-wise, much less water than what we send our regular 1” frags.

Why I started shipping with air now instead of just the only water bags. I feel it’s useful to have oxygen in the bag. Perhaps air can be saturated with more oxygen (18%? Just random number in my head) versus how much oxygen can be saturated into saltwater? I’m open to ideas.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a coral fall out shelter. Instead of bags of beans, it’s bags of pellets and calcium reactor media.
Is that what that shed is in your back yard? It's in the shed isn't it... Watch out who you sell to locally. They have some real weirdos out there.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just found me a new RO/DI unit. How do you like it? Are you getting 1:1 ratio with it?
at 105 psi, I get very close to 1:1. maybe a little better. I am running the 1/2 hp booster pump and my incoming tds is only about 45 on a bad day. It does run through a whole home sediment filter and softener first, so that helps.

AquaFX recommends about 80-85 psi for the unit, but I have had it up 2 years and no issues with 100-105 psi.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that what that shed is in your back yard? It's in the shed isn't it... Watch out who you sell to locally. They have some real weirdos out there.
If the world is coming to an end and I go into the shed and missing pellets, I know who I’m coming for! :p

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at 105 psi, I get very close to 1:1. maybe a little better. I am running the 1/2 hp booster pump and my incoming tds is only about 45 on a bad day. It does run through a whole home sediment filter and softener first, so that helps.

AquaFX recommends about 80-85 psi for the unit, but I have had it up 2 years and no issues with 100-105 psi.
I appreciate the review! This might be my new toy!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the review! This might be my new toy!
Not a problem. I am very happy with it and always had good success with AquaFX in regards to customer service. Lost a few o-rings once and they shipped me a couple free of charge, as I was ordering new filters anyways. Lost a flow restrictor for a 100 gpd, they sent one free of charge, even though they sell them as replacements. That one was not during an order. It was me calling to get the correct one to buy lol. It came USPS, but I am not complaining, as they shipped it for free lol.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started working on wiring my Kamoer auto water changer. Don’t mind the wiring mess… I’ll organize it once I finalize the setup but this location I felt worked best. Allows me to pump from the garage behind that wall where the new saltwater is and access to where I can pump it down the drain in the frag tank below to feed into the central sump for the display and two frag tanks.

The waste water will be pumped into my skimmer reservoir which is programmed to automatically empty into my sink across the room.

I’m excited to try it out. The Kamoer app is pretty swanky. Much better than some of the individual apps we’ve seen in this hobby… cough Ecotech… cough cough.
E7A6F9EC-89AC-4F2A-9EF3-07E2D085B5C8.jpeg
D9CAB2B7-3DFC-470B-AAD9-78C437EF4DF1.jpeg

E38B3D78-5032-4CD6-9A1D-80478561EFAC.png
3414731A-D07E-4621-AEA0-60AE72BE6775.png
0CE34B02-6C19-4747-A89D-82ED3380DE93.png

Back