FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the satisfaction of getting a ton of planned work knocked out in a defined window of time -- guilt free.

QQ: who did you source those frag racks from? I am tired of finding frags rolling under the racks that have somehow been blown/dislodged from their holes.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the satisfaction of getting a ton of planned work knocked out in a defined window of time -- guilt free.

QQ: who did you source those frag racks from? I am tired of finding frags rolling under the racks that have somehow been blown/dislodged from their holes.

I want to know that as well.
I got the racks from Building An Obsession. Great quality stuff.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I’ll add is I think when it comes to fish like Regal Angels and Copperband Butterflies, the best way to keep them is to really have them as the centerpieces and main fish in the tank. An aggressive or multiple aggressive larger angels or Tangs will very much hinder their ability to adapt, if they ever do. So I would be prepared to forego a densely stocked tank with lots of busy fish and potentially aggressive ones (like Tangs, or more aggressive and larger Pomacanthus / Holacanthus angels- with a few exceptions) if I want to keep these fish.

I just don’t think that on average, fish that don’t stand up to aggression well shouldn’t be kept in very high bioload tanks where they’ll constantly have to compete for food, space with multiple other large fish. I can feel the pain of a Regal Angel (or a pair) or Copperband Butterflyfish in a tank full of big Tangs dashing back and forth, especially if they’re larger Zebrasoma or the Acanthurus.

If we look at diving videos from the wild, we rarely see angels and butterflies mingling with Tangs. When a large shoal of Tangs approaches a group or pair / small harem of angels or butterflies, the angels and butterflies I often see making way for the Tangs. I don’t think the average Angel or butterfly can outcompete a swarm of Tangs when it comes to speed and grazing.

Having said this, there are some species of Tangs I wouldn’t entirely be opposed to having, but angels are by far my favorite.

Last edited:

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one onow why my anemone is doing this? It back to normal now. The mouth was like ripped open?

Attachments

• 4C87580F-0395-4990-B94A-F57BFEE41D39.jpeg
    4C87580F-0395-4990-B94A-F57BFEE41D39.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 7DE1E0A0-883B-45A6-A8E2-A4CB13387F35.jpeg
    7DE1E0A0-883B-45A6-A8E2-A4CB13387F35.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 39

mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the racks from Building An Obsession. Great quality stuff.
you use their camera tube too? that setup looks really nice...mine is a 4" PVC pipe with a piece of round acrylic superglued to the end and have thumb screws around it to tighten on to the lens itself. It was a friend's prototype....he sent me for free, lol.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you use their camera tube too? that setup looks really nice...mine is a 4" PVC pipe with a piece of round acrylic superglued to the end and have thumb screws around it to tighten on to the lens itself. It was a friend's prototype....he sent me for free, lol.
Yes, I use their photo tube too. It’s more useful to me than the avast marine one I had before because it connects to the screw at the bottom of your camera versus pinching the lens body itself. Allows you to set the lens deep in the tube or pull it almost all the way out while still being able to shoot through the surface of the water. Basically allows you to offset your camera further away from the actual look down tube itself to get you better distance away from your shot if needed.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked it out. Wow. Just wow. Gonna have to order some racks for sure.
I just ordered 14 of the large racks plus legs. I can burn Benjamins almost as fast as my wife. Well. Not really. Not even close if I think about it. But I prefer not to think about it.

What were we talking about again?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I filled up my new 200 gal saltwater mixing tank and let her rip. Took forever to fill it… going to have to upgrade that RO/DI unit soon!

The Kamoer autochanger is currently set to do 4gals/day water change. Been working flawlessly. It’s definitely got a high pitched stepper motor sound to it but I feel that’s the norm these days with those pumps. And when you’re water changing, you have the ability to pull old water/pump new water at the same time so that doubles the pump noise. I’ve set it to run during the day so I can monitor for a little bit but once I feel comfortable with it, it’ll be set for a night time water change while I’m sleeping peacefully.

Replaced the media in both Calcium Reactors, the Dastaco and the Reef Octopus on the backup system. Been burning through media lately which is a good sign.

I’m still recovering a bit of color from the nitrates bottoming out in the display but seems to be headed in the right direction. The backup system has been doing its thing lately and it’s a joy to see it get back to form after fighting dinos in it for 2-3 months over the Fall/early winter. Made a note to myself to take things slow even with frag/colony additions. I got carried away when I added the two new frag tanks to that system and stocked them almost immediately and I paid for it with months of dinos and dying colonies. Lesson learned! Acros, torches, Colorado Sunbursts, montis, mushrooms…all going nuts in that system. Waiting on the gonis and mushrooms to catch up.

My next steps include continuing to clean and organize the frag tiles/frag racks. Switching to all black eggcrate for the frags and placing eggcrate underneath the tiles of the colonies.

Also, I’d like to take my current ATO tank for the display that I use Kalk in and go to using it for only kalk addition throughout the day to stabilize pH and separate the topoff function from it. I’ll have a DOS dose kalk lightly during the day to keep up the pH and more heavily at night to balance the swing. To replace my ATO function, I’ll be picking up another 200g vertical mixing tank from a local today and installing it in the garage next to the saltwater mixing tank. This one I’ll fill with just plain RO/DI water and have two pumps installed in it to top off both systems, allowing me to have one giant reservoir for topoff for both systems and minimizing how often I have to fill up the 2 separate topoff tanks like I used to before. It used to be a once every 3-4 day event for the backup system which got annoying. Hopefully it turns into a once every month event now with the 200 gal tank of topoff water.

Proof of life as always!
97E85964-89FB-4AA2-AC84-A6B0C950FB61.jpeg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 14 of the large racks plus legs. I can burn Benjamins almost as fast as my wife. Well. Not really. Not even close if I think about it. But I prefer not to think about it.

What were we talking about again?
dang! I’m assuming you added a giant frag tank since I was last updated with your system?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang! I’m assuming you added a giant frag tank since I was last updated with your system?
Not sure I would call it giant, but it should be fit for purpose. It will replace my current Rube Goldberg setup of 3 connected frag tanks and 3 sumps. Similar total volume.

Trying to work out my sump(s) configuration. I may stick with my Goldberg solution that ties together two 44G Trigger sumps.

Attachments

• 42284 Scott Beyer.t2d (1).pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I would call it giant, but it should be fit for purpose. It will replace my current Rube Goldberg setup of 3 connected frag tanks and 3 sumps. Similar total volume.

Trying to work out my sump(s) configuration. I may stick with my Goldberg solution that ties together two 44G Trigger sumps.
That’s awesome bud!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I filled up my new 200 gal saltwater mixing tank and let her rip. Took forever to fill it… going to have to upgrade that RO/DI unit soon!

The Kamoer autochanger is currently set to do 4gals/day water change. Been working flawlessly. It’s definitely got a high pitched stepper motor sound to it but I feel that’s the norm these days with those pumps. And when you’re water changing, you have the ability to pull old water/pump new water at the same time so that doubles the pump noise. I’ve set it to run during the day so I can monitor for a little bit but once I feel comfortable with it, it’ll be set for a night time water change while I’m sleeping peacefully.

Replaced the media in both Calcium Reactors, the Dastaco and the Reef Octopus on the backup system. Been burning through media lately which is a good sign.

I’m still recovering a bit of color from the nitrates bottoming out in the display but seems to be headed in the right direction. The backup system has been doing its thing lately and it’s a joy to see it get back to form after fighting dinos in it for 2-3 months over the Fall/early winter. Made a note to myself to take things slow even with frag/colony additions. I got carried away when I added the two new frag tanks to that system and stocked them almost immediately and I paid for it with months of dinos and dying colonies. Lesson learned! Acros, torches, Colorado Sunbursts, montis, mushrooms…all going nuts in that system. Waiting on the gonis and mushrooms to catch up.

My next steps include continuing to clean and organize the frag tiles/frag racks. Switching to all black eggcrate for the frags and placing eggcrate underneath the tiles of the colonies.

Also, I’d like to take my current ATO tank for the display that I use Kalk in and go to using it for only kalk addition throughout the day to stabilize pH and separate the topoff function from it. I’ll have a DOS dose kalk lightly during the day to keep up the pH and more heavily at night to balance the swing. To replace my ATO function, I’ll be picking up another 200g vertical mixing tank from a local today and installing it in the garage next to the saltwater mixing tank. This one I’ll fill with just plain RO/DI water and have two pumps installed in it to top off both systems, allowing me to have one giant reservoir for topoff for both systems and minimizing how often I have to fill up the 2 separate topoff tanks like I used to before. It used to be a once every 3-4 day event for the backup system which got annoying. Hopefully it turns into a once every month event now with the 200 gal tank of topoff water.

Proof of life as always!
97E85964-89FB-4AA2-AC84-A6B0C950FB61.jpeg
Who is that yellow highlights in the background? Very purty.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back