Fast snake-like or eel-like thing

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes!

I just tried to feel my little hermit an algae disk and this thing shot out of the rock and took it! It looked like a snake or an eel or something. It was lightning fast, grabbed the food and disappeared completely.

My wife saw it take brine this morning but I have very brazen bristleworms that I see on the rocks during the day sometimes and I thought maybe that's what she saw.

But now I'm as creeped out as she was. It's stealing food right away from my scarlet hermit! I'm going to try to get the hermit out of there because if it steals an algae disk, it could go for its legs, or get it when it molts.

No pictures because it's lightning fast. I'll try to get a video. There's no coral on the rock and I'm thinking about a LONG soak in RO water right now.

It doesn't look like anything on the pinned hitchhikers list. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
VanIsleReefTherapy

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a Bobbitt worm, but I could be wrong... I tried to edit this clip, it comes to get the algae disk in the last seven seconds.

If it is a Bobbitt worm, what do I do to get rid of it? Will a freshwater dip convince it to come out? Should I bury this rock outside somewhere?!

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220527-144023.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220527-144023.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 260

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a Bobbitt worm, but I could be wrong... I tried to edit this clip, it comes to get the algae disk in the last seven seconds.

If it is a Bobbitt worm, what do I do to get rid of it? Will a freshwater dip convince it to come out? Should I bury this rock outside somewhere?!
The video uploaded as an image.

OP
OP
VanIsleReefTherapy

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is it? If youve never seen both ends its most likely a eunice worm.
So, the picture on the sticky list is colourful. I looked on Google and found pictures that look more like my dauntless bristle worms. I think I saw a pale band on this one when I looked at the video frame by frame. Just like the videos on YouTube.

I'll make a trap. I'm pretty freaked out now. I had a mysterious fish death recently that showed some signs of predation. This would definitely explain that!

***! I got a fist-sized gsp rock 2.5 months ago from the lfs. It came from someone's ancient tank that was shut down. It had micro brittles, dusters and bristleworms. I put it on top of my other rocks to get it closer to flow, and the hitchikers moved in to those rocks. Now the gsp rock is in my DT... hopefully not with more of these suckers!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely a Eunice but trapping will be best bet baiting it with a piece of krill or shrimp. Using a 20 Oz or 2ltr if you have room:

trap.jpg

OP
OP
VanIsleReefTherapy

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so appreciate the humor. I keep telling myself it's just a teeny little monster and it isn't going to kill me.

I'm making a trap. How do I keep my little 1.5" pig of a cleaner shrimp from going inside?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back