View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mantis shrimp start practicing their punches at just 9 days old​

1620223698870.png

By Charles Choi
APRIL 29, 2021 AT 1:07 PM
The fastest punches in the animal kingdom probably belong to mantis shrimp — and they may begin unleashing these attacks a little more than a week after hatching, when they have just started to hunt prey, a new study shows.
For the first time, researchers have peered through the transparent exoskeletons of these young mantis shrimp to see the inner mechanisms of their powerful weapons in motion, researchers report online April 29 in the Journal of Experimental Biology. The findings are letting scientists in on hidden details of how these speedy armaments work.
Mantis shrimp are equipped with special pairs of arms that can explode with bulletlike accelerations to strike at speeds of up to roughly 110 kilometers per hour. Previously, scientists deduced these weapons act much like crossbows. As a latch holds each arm in place, muscles within the arm contract, storing energy within the arm’s hinge. When the crustaceans release these latches, all this energy discharges at once (SN: 8/8/19).
But researchers didn’t know at what age mantis shrimp first begin launching these spring-loaded attacks. Computer simulations predicted that the armaments might be capable of greater accelerations the smaller they got, suggesting young mantis shrimp could actually have faster weapons than adults, says Jacob Harrison, a marine biologist at Duke University.

More of the article here:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1620223698870.png

By Charles Choi
The fastest punches in the animal kingdom probably belong to mantis shrimp — and they may begin unleashing these attacks a little more than a week after hatching, when they have just started to hunt prey, a new study shows.
For the first time, researchers have peered through the transparent exoskeletons of these young mantis shrimp to see the inner mechanisms of their powerful weapons in motion, researchers report online April 29 in the Journal of Experimental Biology. The findings are letting scientists in on hidden details of how these speedy armaments work.
Mantis shrimp are equipped with special pairs of arms that can explode with bulletlike accelerations to strike at speeds of up to roughly 110 kilometers per hour. Previously, scientists deduced these weapons act much like crossbows. As a latch holds each arm in place, muscles within the arm contract, storing energy within the arm’s hinge. When the crustaceans release these latches, all this energy discharges at once (SN: 8/8/19).
But researchers didn’t know at what age mantis shrimp first begin launching these spring-loaded attacks. Computer simulations predicted that the armaments might be capable of greater accelerations the smaller they got, suggesting young mantis shrimp could actually have faster weapons than adults, says Jacob Harrison, a marine biologist at Duke University.

@OneInchPunch See... Bruce was a child prodigy!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1620223698870.png

By Charles Choi

Very cool write up!!

Muhammad Ali Boxing GIF

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green one many years ago, came as a love rock hitchhiker, very cool to have, he never bothered anything in the tank but I also insured he was well fed
Supposedly the wont kill fish if they are well feed. How did you feed him. Talking to a lady at the LFS she said she it took a while but she had one she hand fed with long tongs.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly the wont kill fish if they are well feed. How did you feed him. Talking to a lady at the LFS she said she it took a while but she had one she hand fed with long tongs.
He usually went back and forth between two hiding spots, with a pair of tongs I fed him shrimp every few days he always came out to take it.
He wasn't as fancy as the peacock, but he was very cool and like most people notice, his eyesight was amazing.

Last edited:

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1620223698870.png

By Charles Choi

This is fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

RGC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green one many years ago, came as a love rock hitchhiker, very cool to have, he never bothered anything in the tank but I also insured he was well fed
I also got a small green one off live rock from Florida. Lived peacefully in my tank for 7 years. Now I will say, 7 months after my tank cycled and I had livestock I was getting ready to leave for work and this neon green thing was going after my cleaner shrimp. Needless to say, I was late to work as I broke that tank down to get him out and into his own tank

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back