Fat head Anthias question

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Fat heads Anthias aka Sun brust . They are and all my fish are healthy and never saw ick (thank G-D) . Now my question is, the bigger of the 2 anthias is now hidding. Not sure if its a he or she But it only came out once in 3 or 4 days to eat , Now its been 4 das and i havent seen it , I know its not dead (did see the body) and it didnt jump out . can it be gaurding eggs or be sick. When it came out for food 4 days ago ,it looked healthy as it was when it was out . THey are in my tank for about1.5 years now. they both eat anyhting that i feed the tank.

Any help please :confused:

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one, I don't think there has ever been Fat heads that have bred in captivity so that would be an awesome achievement. Hard to say if it is sick or not due to internal illness that can show no outward apperance, but that fact that it is hiding more then normal is probably an indication of something wrong possibly. Have they always been out and about? Are they not a kinda of anthias that likes to hid in the rock work as opposed to other anthia that are free swimmers?

All I can say is if it is sick the best thing to due would be get it out and in QT for treatment.......Not much help I guess...

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know about fatheads, but i thought anthias relese their eggs into the water column similar to wrasses

OP
OP
Deepwater

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they both were out all the time. I cant get it out , it doesnt come out if it doesn its for a sec. and I have ovr 200lbs of rock in my tank. so its impossible without breaking down my tank. As for the eggs , I cant say im not sure :(

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks, I have had that happen to me as well. Tear downs are the last option, so Can you coax it out for food and catch it? Or does it not even come out for food now?

OP
OP
Deepwater

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasnt come out in 4 days.Havent seen it come for food yet either :( I dont think i will tear the tank down. the tank is about 4 years old and if i move rock i will rip apart zoo colonies and other corals taht have grown thru out the rocks

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that sucks, I guess the only thing left would be to wait and see since there is no way of getting him out. If it dies you might have issues though I know that is the unfortunate track of things but it could be a possibility. Then getting it out would be just as big a PITA as trying to get it out to QT it. I know from other people that they have just left it in the rocks and let the critters take care of it, and to combat the water params they just increased the water changes for about 2 weeks......I don't think there is a trick to getting it out if it really doesn't want to. I think FateX8 is correct though about them being water column dispersal reproducers.....

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went 18 days when i first got it before it ate anything. I'd say you have some time still.

OP
OP
Deepwater

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went 18 days when i first got it before it ate anything. I'd say you have some time still.

Thats along time without food .
But the one that hidding on me has been in the tank for over 1.5 years. always oout and about in the tank. that why its puzzling me :confused: still no sign of it

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah i hear ya that is odd. I hope everything turns out fine for you.

Did you buy them as a pair or pair them up yourself? I've been wanting to get a total of 3, but all the threads i read about keeping a group of these anthias end up with just 1 in the tank.

OP
OP
Deepwater

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah i hear ya that is odd. I hope everything turns out fine for you.

Did you buy them as a pair or pair them up yourself? I've been wanting to get a total of 3, but all the threads i read about keeping a group of these anthias end up with just 1 in the tank.

I paired them up , I also stopped listening to the you cant buy ,or you have to buy 3 or so to keep them. Good husbandry and water quality ,not to mention a calm community will have a great affect. wih these little guys

I keep 2 yellow tangs in a 90 gal tank along with some othersfish ,(not tangs) Only thing i can say is that tangs ae best of friends. its like watching one tang with a yellow shadow :D

OP
OP
Deepwater

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it finally came out , But unfortunately it was only bones :( RIP little one you'll be missed :(
PICS2333018.jpg

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put 2 anthias in our main display at work and it went fine for about a month, but then all of a sudden they stopped eating and hid and the rocks and we found bones in the back of the tank.....weird.....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back