OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... There shouldn't be copper in the RODI. Do you use a water softener?
No water softener. If there were copper in the RODI I am assuming it would mean copper in my groundwater, and that my cartridges are too old. If there's copper in the mixing tank, but not the RODI, I'm assuming the rrrrrccchhhh, I was going to say transfer pump but I just looked in my mixing tank and I may have a different guess. Could the metal hose clamps and pipe straps be the source. There's a lot of brown gunk in the mix tank, but the RO tank is clear. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of this sooner

20221016_145637.jpg 20221016_145648.jpg 20221016_145656.jpg

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using?
When I first mixed the tank I used an old chunk of salt that one of my brothers gave me, I don't know what brand it was. I also also used a box of Instant Ocean that another brother gave me (I have 8 brothers and 4 sisters, I'm the oldest). Other than that I've been using Fritz Reef Pro Mix

Attachments

• 20221016_151241.jpg
    20221016_151241.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point after looking at all the brown scum in the mixing tank, I ordered a new pump from BRS. I'll use the old pump to empty the tank, then replace the pump. The new pump will be quiet enough that I can use to mix and not just to transfer and I can pull all the hoses and metal out of the mixing tank (the current transfer runs at 90 decibels and is across the hall from bedrooms so using it to mix wasn'tan option.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse my ignorance (or foggy mind as the case may be), but I can't come up with a translation for DT?
I know you only asked for dt but here is maybe all off them ^_^

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I did one a long time ago, but I don't remember how to start. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Build thread started

Let me be among the first to say:
CONGRATULATIONS on your Build Thread Badge !!! WAHOO !!! YOU ARE ROCKING IT AND ON YOUR WAY !!!

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CONGRATULATIONS on your Build Thread Badge !!! WAHOO !!! YOU ARE ROCKING IT AND ON YOUR WAY !!!
T
I worked late last night and then took today off, thinking the stuff I needed would be here today. Unfortunately the replacement pump was a day late, but I pumped all the water in the black tank down the drain, scrubbed any brown residue off the inside of the tank, then rinsed with RO water. I pulled all the hoses and fittings out of the inside of the tank, but left the aquarium pump in the bottom (I ran it to stir up sediment while draining the tank and figured it would get rinsed as well that way). I removed the transfer pump and then ran to the store for fittings etc. The new pump came this afternoon and I discovered that I am short 1 pvc fitting. More updates as the story develops

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first mixed the tank I used an old chunk of salt that one of my brothers gave me, I don't know what brand it was. I also also used a box of Instant Ocean that another brother gave me (I have 8 brothers and 4 sisters, I'm the oldest). Other than that I've been using Fritz Reef Pro Mix
This makes me wonder too. There was basically brown residue in the tank as soon as I mixed the first batch of water. I wonder if the one batch of salt could have been part of the problem

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This makes me wonder too. There was basically brown residue in the tank as soon as I mixed the first batch of water. I wonder if the one batch of salt could have been part of the problem
Definitely a possibility.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While back this year, this did happen:

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pump in and filling mixing tank. It's an Iwaki. It's amazingly quiet, particularly compared to the prior pump.

Attachments

• 20221024_164154.jpg
    20221024_164154.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221024_164133.jpg
    20221024_164133.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 20

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pump in and filling mixing tank. It's an Iwaki. It's amazingly quiet, particularly compared to the prior pump.
What's This (circled in yellow) part of the plumbing. It looks like it's connected into the Input of the pump. Is this Freshwater Input to your setup?

IMG_9163.jpg

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's This (circled in yellow) part of the plumbing. It looks like it's connected into the Input of the pump. Is this Freshwater Input to your setup?

IMG_9163.jpg
That's actually just a spigot that allows me to dispense either RO water or saltwater by gravity pressure depending on how I set my valves. I provide water for my nephew's 25 gallon tank. Also at need (i.e. during a power outage) I would normally have almost 200 gallons of drinking water available this way. Additionally I can prime the pump by opening the spigot until water runs out.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually just a spigot that allows me to dispense either RO water or saltwater by gravity pressure depending on how I set my valves. I provide water for my nephew's 25 gallon tank. Also at need (i.e. during a power outage) I would normally have almost 200 gallons of drinking water available this way. Additionally I can prime the pump by opening the spigot until water runs out.
I see metal on the faucet, and metal on the connecting hose. In my mind, that's a source of corrosion and future contamination. Even if just using to refill buckets with salt water.

My setup, I'd be paranoid and replace with all PVC fittings and valves. They're cheap.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see metal on the faucet, and metal on the connecting hose. In my mind, that's a source of corrosion and future contamination. Even if just using to refill buckets with salt water.

My setup, I'd be paranoid and replace with all PVC fittings and valves. They're cheap.
Yeah. I have a dislike for pvc valves, due to having them fail in the past in other applications, but here you're probably right. Especially since I'm treating this like a perfect storm and eliminating all possible sources, doing a massive water change and adding chemipure elite.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my rock has been exposed to copper will doing all this stuff make it possible to support crustaceans and coral in the system? In other words will I be able to get rid of the copper and zinc?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back