OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, one thing no one seems to have asked - what salt were/are you using?
Currently Fritz Reef Pro mix in the blue box. When I mixed the first 200 gallons for this system I used part of a box my brother gave me (no idea what brand), and Instant Ocean another brother gave me. I used to use Kent in my old 90 gallon tank, but switched to Fritz when my LFS ran out of Kent and they recommended the Fritz instead. I regret using the unknown salt, but my brother had a successful tank before so I thought it would be fine (and it may have been, I don't know that it caused a problem).

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Currently Fritz Reef Pro mix in the blue box. When I mixed the first 200 gallons for this system I used part of a box my brother gave me (no idea what brand), and Instant Ocean another brother gave me. I used to use Kent in my old 90 gallon tank, but switched to Fritz when my LFS ran out of Kent and they recommended the Fritz instead. I regret using the unknown salt, but my brother had a successful tank before so I thought it would be fine (and it may have been, I don't know that it caused a problem).
I was just curious because there was a problem with some salt that had some unidentified clay in it. It crashed a lot of tanks that had been successful for years. The large quantities of scum in the bottom of your mixing barrel had me think back to that salt. I don't imagine that's where the copper came from but it's possibly where the solids/residue came from.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious because there was a problem with some salt that had some unidentified clay in it. It crashed a lot of tanks that had been successful for years. The large quantities of scum in the bottom of your mixing barrel had me think back to that salt. I don't imagine that's where the copper came from but it's possibly where the solids/residue came from.
Makes sense. Since I yanked everything at once and didn't test the mixing tank right away, I can only guess where all the trouble came from, but I seem to be moving in the right direction. It was frustrating but there is a certain satisfaction in overcoming these issues too (and conversing with everyone about it on reef to reef) :)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Makes sense. Since I yanked everything at once and didn't test the mixing tank right away, I can only guess where all the trouble came from, but I seem to be moving in the right direction. It was frustrating but there is a certain satisfaction in overcoming these issues too (and conversing with everyone about it on reef to reef) :)
Glad to hear it's turning around! Looking forward to seeing some corals in that tank!

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the progress of the copper and zinc removal

ICP test of Oct-15-2022
Copper 85 µg/l
Zinc 112 µg/l

ICP test of Nov-25-2022

Copper 38 µg/l
Zinc 47 µg/l

ICP test of Jan-02-2023

Copper 12 µg/l
Zinc 16 µg/l

The other numbers look good, except phosphorus/phosphates are high. I've got a little sea lettuce in the refugium, but my other macroalgae all failed to thrive. Possibly due to the high copper?

Should I hit the system with Triton Detox again? I think I have enough to dose it again. I have 2 bags of carbon in the sump and the submerged filter has enough Chemipure Elite to treat 400 gallons according to their directions.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I mentioned earlier that we were expecting a 10th child in March and recent experience shows that someone will eventually ask. Doctors discovered a few months ago that the baby had a genetic disorder. She was born alive the evening of March 7th and passed away the next morning. I baptized her right after birth and our pastor came to the hospital and confirmed her the evening of the 7th.

Nman

Coast Line
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD65BD01-0C53-497D-AD46-39A3CC644DA9.jpeg

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to take the system back to square one. Return fish to LFS, remove all rock and substrate, clean all surfaces. My local fish store is in the process of building up his systems and has a use for the rock. I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the way my refugium is setup, also I feel like I can make the display in my tank more attractive by arranging the rocks in a more eye-pleasing way, while providing larger caves/better hiding places. It's frustrating that I've spent so much money trying to fix this iteration, but I think I'll be happier if I reset and am more careful to make the setup the way I want.

OP
OP
Imrahilwjz

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also going forward I will restrict posts to my large tank thread so I don't have to post in 2 places. Just click on the Build thread contributor button to see it.

Back