Faulty skimmer?

Pinkie Cubitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All was going well with my new build. Filled my reefer nano on Thursday and all good. Even managed to adjust the infamous drain valve with no problems and near silent flow. And then I came to the skimmer, a bubble magus 3.5. Aaaaaaaaaagggghh! It’s driving me crazy and regardless of break in period, I’m convinced it’s faulty.

Sitting in 8 inches of water and whatever I do, foam just pours out the top. When I select max (with water outlet fully closed), foam drops for a second or two, micro bubbles stream out of bottom of water outlet tube, and foam starts to pour out the cup again.

Interestingly I put in a bucket to try and see what is going on and I managed to get it to behave as it should....water level was controllable and foam just breaking into bottom of cup. Looked perfect. Put it back in sump, on top of tupperware to replicate water depth of bucket and foam party starts again. Put it back in bucket and couldn’t get it to behave again. Eventually I lifted it until water level in bucket was only half covering the horizontal section of water outlet, and it returned to behaving properly. Transferred it back to sump and again, tried to match level of bucket, but nothing but masses of foam again. I haven’t been able to get it to ‘look normal’ again. Will try and upload a video to illustrate what it’s doing, if I can figure out how!

The pump outlet doesn’t seem particularly secure when slotted into the base of skimmer. Not sure if this is significant or not. Only way to try and slow flow of foam is by squeezing and thus closing the end of air inlet tube, when removing the silencer.

Would really appreciate your advice. I know there is nothing to skim in my tank at the moment, other than some live rock, and break in period can last up to 3 weeks, but after 24 hours, no sign of foam reduction and sump just swamped in the dang stuff! Sometimes it’s even coming out of the top of the water output tube.

Pumps a little noisier than I was expecting too. Maybe just vibration, but noticeably louder than my TMC Reef 4000 return pump.

Many thanks.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is new with no live stock maybe set it at it's lowest setting and let it keep overflowing into the sump for a few days and see if it stops or breaks in. It's annoying to see a bunch of bubbles.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is brand new, you don’t necessarily need the skimmer on yet. Are you cycling the tank now? I know this doesn’t explain the skimmer overflow but just curious. Can you dial down the airflow?

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check your specific gravity. Its likely going crazy because of a combination of a skimmer that is not broken in and something in the water. Since you just set the tank up there is a lot of stuff in the water from the substrate the rock and the plastisizers from the new plastic equipment and silicone from the glue and such. It will take some time for all of that to settle out. The skimmer will calm down. You already proved its not defective with the bucket test(Great idea) so just give it some time.

OP
OP
P

Pinkie Cubitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is brand new, you don’t necessarily need the skimmer on yet. Are you cycling the tank now? I know this doesn’t explain the skimmer overflow but just curious. Can you dial down the airflow?
Thanks for your advice guys, appreciate it. I’m planning to start the Red Sea Reef Pro cycle programme this afternoon. Turning the dial reduces rise of foam for a second or two but then it just starts overflowing the cup again. I guess I’ll just be patient and let it run for a few days more as cycle begins. Will the crazy amount of bubbles everywhere effect the cycling process?

OP
OP
P

Pinkie Cubitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check your specific gravity. Its likely going crazy because of a combination of a skimmer that is not broken in and something in the water. Since you just set the tank up there is a lot of stuff in the water from the substrate the rock and the plastisizers from the new plastic equipment and silicone from the glue and such. It will take some time for all of that to settle out. The skimmer will calm down. You already proved its not defective with the bucket test(Great idea) so just give it some time.

Specific gravity currently is 1.018 and temperature is 26 degrees c.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 inches of water seems awful deep for that little skimmer. Try raising it up so it sits in 6 inches of water.

OP
OP
P

Pinkie Cubitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt is it?
Hmmm, not sure. Supplied ready mixed by Lfs. Bought some more from another lfs which reads 1.o25. Replaced ato with this and salinity slowly rising. Also bought adjustable clamp for air tube and raised skimmer by 2 inches. Big improvement, although still a little noisier than I was hoping for and quite a few micro bubbles still coming from bottom of water outlet. At least I can now run it in without foam overflow. I’ll put up with DT microbubbles for now and see if things improve. Thanks for your input, feeling a little more relaxed about it now!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, not sure. Supplied ready mixed by Lfs. Bought some more from another lfs which reads 1.o25. Replaced ato with this and salinity slowly rising. Also bought adjustable clamp for air tube and raised skimmer by 2 inches. Big improvement, although still a little noisier than I was hoping for and quite a few micro bubbles still coming from bottom of water outlet. At least I can now run it in without foam overflow. I’ll put up with DT microbubbles for now and see if things improve. Thanks for your input, feeling a little more relaxed about it now!
No problem. Skimmers calm down after a bit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back