Fauna Marin calcium for Recipe #1, Part 1 Randy Holmes-Farley

Niels V

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to make the DIY 2part from Randy Holmes-Farley Recipe #1.

I use 594 grams (about 2 ¼ cups) of baking soda from Arm and Hammer that I bake.
And I use 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of Fauna Marin calcium mix.

The original recipe did not use Fauna Marin as a calcium chloride dihydrate source,
so I wanted to make sure that it is fine to do so in the quantity equal to the original recipe to make a balanced 2 part.
It is a fine powder.

faunamarincalciummix1kg.jpg IMG_9866.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it does not get hot when dissolving, i t is likely a dihydrate, which is fine.

The exact weight will be close. I cannot be sure how "fluffy" the Fauna product is to say if the exact volume measurement is right, but it is likely close enough.

OP
OP
Niels V

Niels V

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the dissolving test and it did not get that hot, but to be sure I send Fauna Marin an email and they got back to me. Thought I'd share, they confirmed the Fauna Marin Calcium Mix to be a dihydrate.

The Calcium Mix is a sugar like crystal. 1 cup weighs about 205 grams. This looks to be close to the same as the calcium part in the original recipe.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2020-12-03 om 22.59.48.png
    Schermafbeelding 2020-12-03 om 22.59.48.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9870.jpg
    IMG_9870.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 37

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the dissolving test and it did not get that hot, but to be sure I send Fauna Marin an email and they got back to me. Thought I'd share, they confirmed the Fauna Marin Calcium Mix to be a dihydrate.

The Calcium Mix is a sugar like crystal. 1 cup weighs about 205 grams. This looks to be close to the same as the calcium part in the original recipe.

If it is dihydrate, and since you have a scale, just use 500 grams per gallon for the recipe. :)

Back