Favia of the gods help needed

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first favia coral. It’s been looking a bit funny with this whitish pink showing up. Is that the skeleton? My tank has had issues with too much light so is this a sign of bleaching? Advice needed please so I can see it flourish again!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's partially bleached to me. You didn't list what your parameters are or what you dosing/supplementing. A PO4 deficiency will cause corals to be very sensitive to bleaching as well as labile DOC (carbon dosing).

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's partially bleached to me. You didn't list what your parameters are or what you dosing/supplementing. A PO4 deficiency will cause corals to be very sensitive to bleaching as well as labile DOC (carbon dosing).
Alk:7-8
Mag: 1320
Calc: 410
Temp:78-80 summer it fluctuates more but I turn fans on if it gets to 80
Salinity: 1.025

Phosphate and nitrate test as 0 but they are not actually 0 (big bryopsis and bubble algae issue that my tank is currently going in treatment for with reef flux) my corals are growing so they are definitely not starving in that sense.

Not dosing or supplementing anything. I had a few corals have a bit of a bleaching issue but moved out of the light they are better. Could this be another case of too much light?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definelty get a good test kit and test you PO4. Research done with corals in a typical system over a decade+ has identified a threshold level of .03 mg/l to minimize PO4 dificiencies in corals. Low PO4 can cause bleaching so while light intensity is part of the equation it is not the primary issue and lowering the intensity might help short term but it doesn't resolve the underlying problem.

FWIW .03 mg/l is the minimum based on Southampton's research, .5 mg/l is acceptable and even .9mg/l might not be an issue.

The phosphorus cycle in reef systems is complex and include Particulate Organic Phosphorus (POP) and Dissolved Organic Phosphorus (DOP) as well as PO4 which is aolso known as Dissolved Inorganic Phosphorus (DIP) and orthophosphate. Unfortunately PO4 is the only one we can easily test for. So a system might be getting enough of the organic forms but if corals are bleaching and PO4 isn't above the threshold level of .03 mg/l I'd be either feeding more or adding phosphorus to ensure it's above the threshold level.

If you're interested here are some links:

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Fig 4 from "Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts"
DIP DOP POP.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back