Favias, Favias, Favias... Underrated Beauties

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have this, sold as a favia by TSM (although I think it may actually be a goniastrea). Haven’t seen many frags like this for sale, and I’m actually not sure, but think this was collected wild. Is it a common morph? I call it a “high lighter splatter” but I made it up lol

CCE7DA4A-726B-4A07-B9FB-DC915854D865.jpeg

I also got this CC oddesy coming, anyone know anything about that linage?
71BD06AE-A6AA-431C-B1AD-F31FADEC3CAE.png

Or this one?
3B47593F-8F63-493C-BADD-3690C8966109.png

View attachment 770662

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure, but I'm curious about the first one and how it looks under normal lights
I have this, sold as a favia by TSM (although I think it may actually be a goniastrea). Haven’t seen many frags like this for sale, and I’m actually not sure, but think this was collected wild. Is it a common morph? I call it a “high lighter splatter” but I made it up lol

CCE7DA4A-726B-4A07-B9FB-DC915854D865.jpeg

I also got this CC oddesy coming, anyone know anything about that linage?
71BD06AE-A6AA-431C-B1AD-F31FADEC3CAE.png

Or this one?
3B47593F-8F63-493C-BADD-3690C8966109.png

View attachment 770662

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure, but I'm curious about the first one and how it looks under normal lights
Your wish is my command.

The second one is more mid -day, higher whites. I don’t have a lense filter, but the pictures are generally pretty close to how it looks. Do you like it?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I do very much. So it's a purple splattered with vibrant green?
You know, I think so. Under most light it looks inky purple, almost black, with neon green splashes and eyes. At mid-day, with the highest white, least actinic spectrum (running Dan’s reef LPS hydra setting), the base still looks dark, mostly purple, but maybe with some dark burgundy highlighting? Of course the green is slightly washed out.

Here is peak day.

Billldg

Going off the reef end!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
New to the hobby, trying to figure out lighting and such, I have a maxspect razor x r5 200w fixture, have it running on the soft/lps program right now but feel their is to much white light and not enough blue, I have a syna-g module ordered so I can adjust lighting without it being a pain, what type of ratio of colors should i have to make it grow and pop, lps tank, blues and white lights, I have a full tilt favia, a glowstick favia and a sky fire favia on the way from the cherry coral sale this past weekend

Last edited:

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You know, I think so. Under most light it looks inky purple, almost black, with neon green splashes and eyes. At mid-day, with the highest white, least actinic spectrum (running Dan’s reef LPS hydra setting), the base still looks dark, mostly purple, but maybe with some dark burgundy highlighting? Of course the green is slightly washed out.

Here is peak day.

I'm curious about your lighting too. What light are you using and is it preprogrammed for the day cycle? How long have you been using it?

As for the favia I'm really in love with it! That was an awesome me and I hope it does exceptionally well for you and I can buy a frag from you down the road, so I can see it in person.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm curious about your lighting too. What light are you using and is it preprogrammed for the day cycle? How long have you been using it?

As for the favia I'm really in love with it! That was an awesome me and I hope it does exceptionally well for you and I can buy a frag from you down the road, so I can see it in person.
I have a reefer 525 with 3 Hydra 26 HD lights. I have it plumbed into the basement, the sump that came with it is being used as a refugium, that flows into a 150 gallon rubber made (probably has 100 in it). Total system volume (actual fluid) is probably 250 gallons. It’s only been up a couple months. I’ve been playing with different light settings I’ve downloaded. I’ve been most happy with one called Dan’s Reef Respiration LPS. I worry sometimes it may not be bright enough, and I don’t have any way of measuring PAR. It maxes out at little more than half of what the LEDs are capable of, so I might push its peaks up some eventually.

I hope I can get it to a fragable size, but I’ll have to find someone else to do it, I don’t have a saw.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a reefer 525 with 3 Hydra 26 HD lights. I have it plumbed into the basement, the sump that came with it is being used as a refugium, that flows into a 150 gallon rubber made (probably has 100 in it). Total system volume (actual fluid) is probably 250 gallons. It’s only been up a couple months. I’ve been playing with different light settings I’ve downloaded. I’ve been most happy with one called Dan’s Reef Respiration LPS. I worry sometimes it may not be bright enough, and I don’t have any way of measuring PAR. It maxes out at little more than half of what the LEDs are capable of, so I might push its peaks up some eventually.

I hope I can get it to a fragable size, but I’ll have to find someone else to do it, I don’t have a saw.
BoomCorals has a pair meter for $100 shipped.

I look forward to seeing your results. I've had such good luck with t5 that I want to try the new led t5 hybrid out.

Sabellafella

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you! It's a little bit of everything. :)

1st Row: LC Ferrari Enzo, FX Yellow Brick Road, Rain of War, SR Mighty Max, LC Berserker
2nd Row: Zen Reef's Frosted Maul, Fascination Favia, Gonzo's Spicy Lemon, LC Yellow Fever, LC Burning Magma
3rd Row: Gonzo's War Machine, LC Royal Flush, JF Top Fuel, JF DayGlo, CC Darth Maul
Look at this pack, out of control

TAP WATER FOR YOUR REEF TANK

• I do not use tap water

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • I use tap water

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I did use tap water in the past before I had an RO unit

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I use tap sometimes and ro/di sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would use tap water in an emergency

Votes: 4 14.3%