Favorite, CHEAPER, lower priced powerheads for flow?

Price range of the lowest price powerhead in your aquarium?

• $25 or less

Votes: 44 13.3%
  • $50 or less

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • $100 or less

Votes: 92 27.8%
  • $150 or less

Votes: 30 9.1%
  • I don’t have any cheaper powerheads

Votes: 99 29.9%

• Total voters

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think those covers would protect the area where the water flows out. That is where the puffer got sliced
There are some designed to cover the front as well. The fine mesh ones. There are also foam and sponge ones too that only do the sides.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 power head and it's a tunze 6045, which goes for around $88 at BRS. Although it is not a programmable variable flow, the flow can be adjusted manually. It is quiet and reliable and has been in use for years.

badonkadonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to run Tunzes years ago, switched to Jebao (various series of the biggest 5k+ GPH models) maybe 8 years ago and have found the reliability/price to be good. I've also started running some Sunsun powerheads over the past year or two and they've been very reliable so far. Only $8-$15 at PA, and only a few watts. I use them in constant on applications and turn off the higher flow pumps at night (I also keep on a gyre - also Jebao, also good).

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxi-jet mods were fun Went through a bunch brands but Tunze are the best for longevity, performance and customer service is fantastic. The 6025 are good to mod if you like to tinker. I had a pile of the Jenao wp40 and giving them another shot With the ow-40. Time will tell but I can guarantee they won’t outlast the Tunze power heads that have been going for years.

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with jebaos. When they stop, just soak them a few days in pump cleaner powder in RODI water. Then rinse thoroughly and they will be as good as new. I think BRS sells that pump cleaner from fauna Marin.

Jebao are best bang for the buck.
They even have wifi controlled versions now. 1/4 the price of MP10 to 40s. With as much or more control.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard in nano tanks. Most of the "big names" have too much flow for tiny tanks with LPS and softies.

I've use Jebao SLW/MLW, MOW, the Hygger Mini, Nero 3 and 5, MP10. They all have benefits and drawbacks, but I'd say the Jebao stuff has been the best bang for the buck, and they come in a wider range of flow options (i.e. MLW-5, 10, 20, 30) to fit more tank sizes.

The Hygger mini was a nice, TINY wavemaker, but the controler sucks. If they had that updated with more control over patterns and timing, I'd own SEVERAL of them. As it is, I think the MLW-5 is probably the best nano, controllable wavemaker out there right now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back