Favorite clams and how long has it been since you purchased one?

When is the last time you purchased a clam?

• Past Month

Votes: 28 4.9%
  • Past 6 Months

Votes: 65 11.5%
  • Past Year

Votes: 45 8.0%
  • Past 3 Years

Votes: 50 8.8%
  • Over 3 years and more

Votes: 86 15.2%
  • Never

Votes: 282 49.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.8%

• Total voters

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up one from Biota, a very nice 2.5” aquacultured crocea for those that didn’t know they also breed clams (I did not).
Would one day love to order a crazy maxima from PEA also when tank size allows!

Sorry for the blue pic:

3B709B53-97D1-4816-8690-E6FFB95216C1.jpeg

Rommelboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love the blue and turquoise color maxima clams. They make nice contrast to the common red and green color corals. Just picked up the little one from Your Reef's memorial day sale! The others I've had for 1 1/2 years.

IMG_7414 (1).jpg

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do clams control nitrates? Do the photosynthetic zooxanthellae utilitize it the same way macro/algae does? I was always concerned about getting a clam for the additional bioload of feeding a large animal. Misguided?
Thats a great question. There is a school of thought that they soak up through their tissue and by filtering the water dissolved organics. Not sure if there is any documentation, but they do move a lot of water. If you have ever seen a large one snap shut you know what i mean.

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a clam to give it a try, but it didn't last long. One or more fish in my tank consumed it. I'm almost positive it was my Copperband Butterfly. So no more clams for me.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are those live?? did not know, you could do that!!
Yep, alive. These are clams that are the ones that are on ice at the store. I bought these three and chucked them in a QT tank for a day just to check in case one or more were dead and/or carrying something undesirable, then tossed them into my display.

In the pic you can see two slightly opened. How much they open and feed seems to vary based on parameters I do not know though.

Allegedly these do not live very long in our tanks because they are cold water species and/or do not get enough food. Mine seems to be doing well so far.

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not bought a clam in years as I like angelfish too much and have several in my tanks. Cheaper to buy frozen clams on the half shell rather than feeding them a $200.00 maxima!

Anytka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a small clam for my 75g no greater than 6" when full grown l, any ideas?
Crocea clam max size is 6” they are easy to care for and beautiful

Attachments

• B3F3CA6D-E3C5-429B-A4BB-BF212CB4BA21.jpeg
    B3F3CA6D-E3C5-429B-A4BB-BF212CB4BA21.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 31

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. When is the last time you purchased a clam and what's stopping you from getting a new one?
I haven't purchased one in over 15 years and I think price is the main thing. I was spoiled with $35 dollar Tridacna's. I've been tempted by some of the sales, however most of the specimens looked stressed at that point.
2. What is your favorite type of clam and why?
That's a tough one.... those red Squamosa's are pretty hard to beat. As a species , I would have to say Crocea. I think they have the most variety when it comes to color and pattern.

Since most of the calms in our hobby are raised in some way or another, by human touch. I would love to see more
hybrid's, as well as some smaller offerings. It would be great to get to a point like we have with goniopora for example.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this guy up at Reefapalooza in Orlando last month. He's about 5 inches wide. As for a favorite type of clam... not sure, really. They all kind of look uniquely awesome to me.

20210606_133248.jpg

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tridacna clams are amazing and gorgeous creatures! Cultured clams do well in most well established reef aquariums. Commonly available species include Maxima, Crocea, Deresa, and Squamosa. Colors and patterns vary greatly between the different species and within species. Maxima and Crocea have the most intense colors and more desirable blue, green, or turquoise colors, but Squamosa and Deresa have very interesting patterns and tend to be more hardy and easier to keep than the other species. Read more here from @PacificEastAquaculture

Let's talk about clams!

1. When is the last time you purchased a clam and what's stopping you from getting a new one?
I bought a derasa clam about 4mos ago and it is doing fine. It is my first clam purchase ever.
2. What is your favorite type of clam and why?
I bought the derasa as they are less demanding and less expensive since it is my first clam.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of any lists of fish that should never be kept with these clams?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 hippopus in my tank and have been seriously contemplating a crocea but I'm waiting to get a firm reading on PAR (tomorrow!) before I get something additional. The hippopus don't care about anything.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great question. There is a school of thought that they soak up through their tissue and by filtering the water dissolved organics. Not sure if there is any documentation, but they do move a lot of water. If you have ever seen a large one snap shut you know what i mean.
Someone on YouTube actually did a really cool time lapse video of hippopus clams clarifying nasty water.

Back