Favorite LFS?

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved here about a year ago, and I have found 4 places that sell salt water fish. Best so far was Big Kahuna, however they are currently closed.

What's your favorite LFS and why?

My tank is nearly cycled so I want to shop fish!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t found one yet. Visited about every address in Madison on Google most are closed. The big pet warehouse on the belt line sells salt livestock. Their fresh tanks look great, their salt tanks not so much. Same goes for animart over by eastowne mall area. Wish I could take them all home to give them something better. Unfortunately they probably be bringing a lot of unwanted baggage with them. I have seen a couple of good ones in Milwaukee 2 years ago but don’t recall where they were cuz we went all over. There is one my daughter told me about got 5 stars over on Gammon across from Woodmans west. He has pickup only right now, couldn’t get inside, you can find him on Facebook it’s Living Art Aquarium.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved here about a year ago, and I have found 4 places that sell salt water fish. Best so far was Big Kahuna, however they are currently closed.

What's your favorite LFS and why?

My tank is nearly cycled so I want to shop fish!
Big kahuna is very nice, they are in the process of moving locations so that might be why it’s closed. If your ever in the Milwaukee area aquatics unlimited is nice. But janesville just opened a new store downtown and I like that store very much he will get you whatever you want as well. @jc50chevy owns the store

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t found one yet. Visited about every address in Madison on Google most are closed. The big pet warehouse on the belt line sells salt livestock. Their fresh tanks look great, their salt tanks not so much. Same goes for animart over by eastowne mall area. Wish I could take them all home to give them something better. Unfortunately they probably be bringing a lot of unwanted baggage with them. I have seen a couple of good ones in Milwaukee 2 years ago but don’t recall where they were cuz we went all over. There is one my daughter told me about got 5 stars over on Gammon across from Woodmans west. He has pickup only right now, couldn’t get inside, you can find him on Facebook it’s Living Art Aquarium.
Living art is a good store as well! Pet world warehouse on the belt line that you mentioned is nice for finding tanks but there saltwater livestock is kind of sad at the moment.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big kahuna is very nice, they are in the process of moving locations so that might be why it’s closed. If your ever in the Milwaukee area aquatics unlimited is nice. But janesville just opened a new store downtown and I like that store very much he will get you whatever you want as well. @jc50chevy owns the store
YUP, Aquatics Unlimited was one of the ones my daughters checked out last winter or fall. They let me tag along for a rainy Saturday get out of the house trip. Really nice store and it’s on my return visit list to check out prices etc.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living art is a good store as well! Pet world warehouse on the belt line that you mentioned is nice for finding tanks but there saltwater livestock is kind of sad at the moment.
Yup the clerk I talked to seemed to be in charge and knowledable. He said they took a hit personnel wise since COVID and he doesn’t have as much help as he used to have. But like I said Animart was same way. I think all their tanks use the same filtration so if one gets algae all get it...and doubt they do water changes.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best Fish in Milkwaukee looked pretty good the last time I was there.

Animart in Beaver Dam is worse as far as Saltwater than the one in Madison. It looks like their Frag Tank is basically brown sludge. Can't even tell if there are frags in the tank. I actually got my clowns through them and one of them had a bacterial infection within a couple days of me buying them, I know that that can happen anywhere, but...

Best Fish in Milwaukee and Living Art Aquariums both had pretty good frags from what I could tell when I was able to make it there. Living Art is now pickup only because of Covid.

The Alpha Aquacultures guy seems to be big into breeding fish, but I don't actually know if he has a storefront or not. I got into the hobby right when Big Kahuna shut down to move so I've never been there or met the guy.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI Big Kahuna is open. You just need to schedule an appointment with them. Sending them a Facebook message to their store is the best. I’ve had nothing but good experiences there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back