Favorite Live Rock: Fiji, Pukani, Tonga, Gulf, Artificial, Aquacultured or Other?

What is your favorite type of live rock?

• Fiji Live Rock

Votes: 93 23.3%
  • Tonga Branch Live Rock

Votes: 49 12.3%
  • Pukani Live Rock

Votes: 91 22.8%
  • Gulf Live Rock

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Artificial (man-made or synthetic) Live Rock

Votes: 69 17.3%
  • Aquacultured Live Rock

Votes: 46 11.5%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 26 6.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's talk about LIVE ROCK!

I know that some of these types of rock are not available to purchase straight from the original sources anymore, but that doesn't mean that this rock isn't still in the hobby and isn't still being used. That being said I would like to discuss your favorite type of live rock and why! So let's go!

1. What is your favorite type of live rock and why?

2. What type of rock makes up the majority of the live rock in your reef aquarium?

PS. I know live rock isn't live if it is dry! :p

image via @Bulk Reef Supply
1625582627020.png

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose tonga branch. My current setup is a mix of tonga, pukani and some man made. It makes a nice aquascape. My previous set up was Mashal Island mixed with tonga branch and Fiji. I really liked the light feel and shape of the marshal island.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago when you could actually buy real live rock, I would have said marshall island, but since actual live rock is no longer available, Pukani by far for me. Less dense, has a ton of holes, and is easy to chisel away for aquascaping. Unfortunately you can't buy live pukani anymore.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

For me, Fiji and gulf which has been the most seeded rock I can use and find locally.

2. What type of rock makes up the majority of the live rock in your reef aquarium?

Fiji and pukani. Love the amount of holes they have for mounting of frags

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In todays world, any type of naturally formed live rock. In tomorrows world, 3d printed custom design.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've only ever used the same pukani since i started reefing 5 years ago. interested to understand why one would lead to more success than another (if any difference at all)

JMann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haitian is my favorite natural rock and the artificial made by an individual in Miami(WWC used to sell it) is my favorite man made. Super nice stuff

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk about LIVE ROCK!

I know that some of these types of rock are not available to purchase straight from the original sources anymore, but that doesn't mean that this rock isn't still in the hobby and isn't still being used. That being said I would like to discuss your favorite type of live rock and why! So let's go!

PS. I know live rock isn't live if it is dry! :p

image via @Bulk Reef Supply
1625582627020.png
This one hurts a bit…. I miss Pukaniiii!!
Half my tank is pukani. The other half is an assortment of what the lfs nearby carry. I try to mix it up but I’m zeroing in on stax rocks lately. Pick one up next time your in your lfs. They’re nice and lite

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okinawa rock is amazing (it’s in my build) but now you can’t collect it. Australia live rock is also good, I have a few pieces in my build. I would never use dry or base rock, only 100% live rock.

I’ve never heard of Pukani rock?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to experience what good Fiji Live rock was back in the day, so that was my vote. I also have used aquacultured gulf rock from an old vendor. I also got a box of "show sized" pieces of Haitian, not impressed, slabby pieces that were hard to use in my tank, devoid of life as well. The raw Fiji I worked with had some life that I didn't see on my Florida rock. I still have some Fiji soaking in a tank right now and I would use it again.

My current tank is a mix of Marco dry rock, aquacultured Gulf, Fiji and Haitian.

Back