Favorite Reefing Subject in the R2R School Of Reefing? Class is now in session!

If Reefing was a school what letter grade do you think you would be making?

• A

Votes: 81 12.4%
  • B

Votes: 275 42.0%
  • C

Votes: 221 33.8%
  • D

Votes: 49 7.5%
  • F

Votes: 24 3.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.6%

• Total voters

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give myself a C-. Even though when I studied environmental and ecosystems in college I got A+

1. If R2R was a reefing school what would be your MOST FAVORITE subject?

Ecosystem balance and development. I love knowing what and how everything is connected and why.

2. What reefing subject would you consider to be an "advanced class" for you?

Territorial aggression defusing

3. Finally, what subject do you DISLIKE the most?

Quarantine theory and practices. Even though I LOVE hyper monitoring EVERYTHING that happens in my tanks… I have observed that quarantining some fish leads to higher stress and adaptability issues. Also though I understand why it needs to be done to weed out unwanted problems, it also wipes out the good that we can’t see or understand the impact of. I would rather have someone else do the quarantine so I don’t feel guilty and move to my main tank faster than I should.

pjb9166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really love to connect with someone that has a strong knowledge base with Chemistry. For as many seasons I've been in the salt water hobby. I've never ran into the issues I'm having with Alk and Ca in our current system.. For months I've been fighting keeping Alk up and from keeping Ca from skyrocketing. The only thing that seems to be stable is Mag.

SpensReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. chemistry
2.orp and the ozone and hydrogen proxide .... complex
3.P.E water change and Gha but my lawnmower bennie loves it lol

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome class!

Pretend you're in the R2R School of Reefing and you had to learn all you could about reefing while you were here. Like anything in life you're gonna have subjects that just bore you to tears or that you have no interest in at all. Maybe the subjects are just really hard to learn and are more work than fun. On the other hand there are those certain subjects that you just LOVE to learn about and LOVE to talk about! You get to "reefing class" early and stay late to talk about those subjects and it's the things that really keep you interested in reefing school. So let's talk about those subjects today! Ok class is now in session!

school of reefing.jpg
Welcome class!

Pretend you're in the R2R School of Reefing and you had to learn all you could about reefing while you were here. Like anything in life you're gonna have subjects that just bore you to tears or that you have no interest in at all. Maybe the subjects are just really hard to learn and are more work than fun. On the other hand there are those certain subjects that you just LOVE to learn about and LOVE to talk about! You get to "reefing class" early and stay late to talk about those subjects and it's the things that really keep you interested in reefing school. So let's talk about those subjects today! Ok class is now in session!

Reef organics - bacteria, amino acids, Lipids, Fatty acids, planktons etc., another favorite Subject will be - Coral Photography/Videography.

- I am interpreting "advanced class" as the subject in which i am ahead - as in AP-levels while in elementary school. Those subjects will be: Controller Programming and Reef Inorganics - Ca, Mg, Alkalinity, pH etc.

- Plumbing. I don't care about that subject and am willing to outsource the exam-taking to someone else.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Care and husbandry of SPS coral

Dosing and Managing CA-MAG-ALK

Refugiums

TomatoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My least Favorite subject would be equipment. I have in all in one system, and the only mods that I have made to it was changing the lights. I still have the same heater, but I should get a new one soon, because it does not work very well anymore.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

school of reefing.jpg
1. Favorite subject: Fishes, I love them all, big ones, small ones, colorful ones, aggressive ones and unique ones!

2. An advanced class for me: Does that mean a class that would be a challenge for me? That would be keeping sps as I have never had the right temperment to test and watch alkalinity and calcium. However if the question is a class I am advanced in, then that would be keeping seahorses.

3. Most disliked class: Would be on testing parameters!

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Observation of growth and color on Sps corals
(I like looking) haha

symbiotic relationship between coral tissue, bacteria, photosynthesis, etc....
(Really interests me)

Fish diseases and treatment
(Have a hard time with creatures dying one me so I try and avoid this issue as much as possible)

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid B. My tank is still maturing. And we had a tank years ago. A lot has changed including husbandry, gear, etc. I love fish, and coral keeping. Those are my favorite. My least favorite is the plumbing and gadgets. I outsource those to my lab partner (a jock type who while nice to look at is more Kronk, than Albert. I love him dearly)

the emperors new groove GIF

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, I'd give myself a B. My reasoning is that if the "lab" grades were my ability to grow Acros then I wouldn't be doing too stellar. I've got to "sustained" level but not the amazing levels some have here LOL

- Favorite subject would have to be reef equipment and automation

- Advanced class, "Acropora growth and long term success" or "advanced water chemistry"

- Dislike the most? Probably fish QT practices, understand the importance but would rather have someone else do my "homework"
Completely agree! I hate QT! But, I learned the hard way. I wish someone would do it for me. But, I wouldn’t trust anyone else to do it the right way, and unfortunately... the long way. Shortcuts will cost you, your whole tank. No thanks! My coral babies, mean to much, to me! :)

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
biology

chemistry

chemistry

my grade: Incomplete.
Teachers Comments: doesn't follow "the rules".
doesn't play well with others (allegedly). :cool:

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree! I hate QT! But, I learned the hard way. I wish someone would do it for me. But, I wouldn’t trust anyone else to do it the right way, and unfortunately... the long way. Shortcuts will cost you, your whole tank. No thanks! My coral babies, mean to much, to me! :)

Fortunately, there's a handful of smaller companies who will do it for you the right way... You'll pay for it, but its worth it IMO

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back