Favorite tool or random household item used most in your reef tank?

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am constantly trying to think of tools or household items that could be used in my reef tank to make life easier. What is your favorite tool that you could not live without? What are some household items you use in your tank that most would not think of? I will start with one. Everyone uses turkey basters for various things, but I found this one that is used for brewing beer. The extra length helps keep your hands out of the water.

Digital Meat probe thermometer, so handy

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am constantly trying to think of tools or household items that could be used in my reef tank to make life easier. What is your favorite tool that you could not live without? What are some household items you use in your tank that most would not think of? I will start with one. Everyone uses turkey basters for various things, but I found this one that is used for brewing beer. The extra length helps keep your hands out of the water.

I have a 55 high. So I use a 2 piece extra-long turkey baster type. A single piece to feed fish either frozen brine or flakes. Flakes by pushing back and forth twice in a cup, so they float in the tank and not lay on the top. I add the extension so I can feed corals their Reef Roids, that are lower in the tank

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IN one thread here, someone mentioned using their waterpik to blast detritus off their rocks in the tank. That was a great idea.
I use my 2 piece turkey baster to blow off the brownies on my 3 month Marco Rock Reef. The same time I'm using my electric gravel cleaner to siphoning the majority of it out of the tank and into my filter media

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small plastic stepping stool. Folds up nicely under my tank. I use it to stand on when working in my tank and sitting on when working in my sump.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiberglass driveway marker. 48" long. Very strong and has dozens of uses. Glue a toothbrush, scraper, etc to the end. At $2 each they are a steal. (For those of you down south, these are used to identify the edges of your concrete driveway when the snow gets a few feet deep!).

I also used short sections for my rockscape build.

Everbilt 48 in. Reflective Rod in Orange-31474 - The Home Depot

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a kitchen scale is great for measuring salt, alk, calc and magnesium to make up water and supplements. once you dial in the the salinity on your makeup vessel, there's no need to do anything but spot check the salinity on it once in a while, like when you open a new bucket.

i usually find the salinity is consistent from from bucket to bucket, but calc, alk and mag usually vary from bucket to bucket and even from batch to batch within the bucket.

Ayce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A plastic spoon put on the end of an acrylic rod. Similar to several other posts. Stirs sand, digs holes to plant anything, scrapes algae, and moves stuff.

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

787john

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1614959861193.png

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back