Favorite tool or random household item used most in your reef tank?

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forever and always, my clothespins!! Don’t get wood ones y’all they grow mold after a couple weeks. Been using plastic ones from Walmart ($10?) for over a year now and still good! Little rusty but it doesn’t affect it at all. Used to hold a piece of string across the tank to create a barrier so floating bags don’t bump into my acros close to the surface, holding nem cups, mangroves, holding airline tubing during drip acclimation, organizing wires, etc etc etc!
D221EC27-BC6D-4397-9C4F-888C49A94CCD.jpeg
C5158231-0926-45FE-9802-091DC019708F.jpeg
1721B5D4-257C-4EAF-AB73-C374D8BD2AF4.jpeg
C7D33378-7E50-40C1-A828-4893FFBD34E7.jpeg
Amazing reef! Do you mind to share your light settings? I would like to try in my new AI16. Thanks for considering.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing reef! Do you mind to share your light settings? I would like to try in my new AI16. Thanks for considering.
No prob! Here you go :). I would leave the reds at 10% or less for you though, I have it high for the mangroves that’s the only reason. Happy reefing!
991D649B-1E8B-4B22-89AB-3CAC935A1AA1.png
4A3979A2-C93D-472B-B936-348CE8C71CA0.png

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob! Here you go :). I would leave the reds at 10% or less for you though, I have it high for the mangroves that’s the only reason. Happy reefing!
991D649B-1E8B-4B22-89AB-3CAC935A1AA1.png
4A3979A2-C93D-472B-B936-348CE8C71CA0.png
Thank you, currently mine are at 80%, R and G 5% , CW20, total watts 30. I guess i can ramp up to your settings in a week. How long have you been running the lights? I have read that the led can be burned fast in high intensities.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, currently mine are at 80%, R and G 5% , CW20, total watts 30. I guess i can ramp up to your settings in a week. How long have you been running the lights? I have read that the led can be burned fast in high intensities.
Yeah I read about that too, they seem to be okay for now and replacement lenses are $3 so I’ll take my chances. I am keeping an eye out for it though

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we had our first child 9 years ago my wife bought a bottle brush to clean the baby bottles. It’s perfectly round and just the right size to clean my skimmer cup. My favorite tool. I also stole here cereal Tupperware to hold my 2part. Each one is just over 2 gallons

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old booster pump that I decided to connect to my skimmer drain outlet. I run the waste line into my washing machine drain. I leave the pump on literally 24/7 and it doesn't burn out when there's no liquid for it to pump. Game changer

OP
OP
720 Reefer

720 Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old booster pump that I decided to connect to my skimmer drain outlet. I run the waste line into my washing machine drain. I leave the pump on literally 24/7 and it doesn't burn out when there's no liquid for it to pump. Game changer
Is it like a booster pump for a RODI unit or what?

OP
OP
720 Reefer

720 Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a new one that I just found. I had originally planned to use a Voss water bottle for a DIY dosing container, but then I realized I don't live in a rich enough part of town for anywhere to sell Voss water lol. Ended up finding these on amazon and they are perfect. The pouring spout it comes with is awesome because I just slid the dosing tube in it and it holds well.

MapleLeafReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am constantly trying to think of tools or household items that could be used in my reef tank to make life easier. What is your favorite tool that you could not live without? What are some household items you use in your tank that most would not think of? I will start with one. Everyone uses turkey basters for various things, but I found this one that is used for brewing beer. The extra length helps keep your hands out of the water.

This is one of the best threads I've come across here. Now admittedly I'm new - here and to the hobby but I've been looking for some homemade ideas, tools and tricks and this thread has them all. So far I've used tweezers, turkey baster, 1/2" pvc tube to move things around but now I'm thinking of cutting a plastic comb and adhering it to the end of the pvc. Thank you everyone who contributed here

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not but besides the usual things, I employ a "snot sucker" for kids. BRS sells Julian's Thing and thought that looks like a longer booger sucker with a syringe.

A little airline tube attached to a wood dowel or what I use is rigid hard plastic flexible tube with snot sucker on the bottom and any size syringe up top. I only fill the long tube itself, my syringe never touches the food it's around 26in.

Its nice for loading up with various size foods by enlarging the tip. You won't lose any food either until you depress the plunger so nothing is leaking out so you get precise control over your target feeding. Alternative options include a rock blowing tool for hard to reach spots and tiny pockets.

Anyway, yeah. Try it and you might become a fanboy of it like me lol.

OP
OP
720 Reefer

720 Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad someone
This is one of the best threads I've come across here. Now admittedly I'm new - here and to the hobby but I've been looking for some homemade ideas, tools and tricks and this thread has them all. So far I've used tweezers, turkey baster, 1/2" pvc tube to move things around but now I'm thinking of cutting a plastic comb and adhering it to the end of the pvc. Thank you everyone who contributed here!
Glad someone is getting use out of it! That was my goal and I hope people keep viewing it and adding when they come across anything handy.

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a magnet on my glass but post vacation when there is more build up I use my Cast iron skillet scraper- ( new of course)
Amazing inexpensive and removes algae off the glass better than any fish store product. Mine came with my skillet - will post pic of it when I get off the cardio bike
Get the glass clean in all those hard to get places.

OP
OP
720 Reefer

720 Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a magnet on my glass but post vacation when there is more build up I use my Cast iron skillet scraper- ( new of course)
Amazing inexpensive and removes algae off the glass better than any fish store product. Mine came with my skillet - will post pic of it when I get off the cardio bike
Get the glass clean in all those hard to get places.
Yeah would love to see a pic of the scraper! Is it the little plastic ones without a handle?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back