favorite way to stop leak in hard plumbing

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a leak right after a union in on my manifold going to the UV I had to plumb out side the tank as it's HUGE.

I used oaty's fusion for the solvent weld as Of right now this is the only one I see.
of course its in a very hard to get space I would need to remove all my other plumbing.

here are some pics
1613689906617.png

its behind the union above the main return..

any tips or trick to deal with a leak with out redoing the whole think?
anyone try try the vacuum trick?
silicone ?
supper glue?

Here is another pic.

20210218_160552.jpg
leaking at the joint to the union

Cut off the leaky union and reinstall both a new union and a gate valve

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup that's what I did. letting it dry until the morning that will be 12+ hrs will test again.

One other 'trick' is to mix some PVC shavings into a bit of solvent. You essentially get the PVC equivalent of thickened acrylic cement. Not the prettiest fix, but that'll take care of the one out of ten that just regular solvent won't.

FWIW, when did R2R become the reefing arm of overreactors anonymous LOL ..... I think you need to break the entire system down, replace all the plumbing and probably the tank too ....

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other 'trick' is to mix some PVC shavings into a bit of solvent. You essentially get the PVC equivalent of thickened acrylic cement. Not the prettiest fix, but that'll take care of the one out of ten that just regular solvent won't.

FWIW, when did R2R become the reefing arm of overreactors anonymous LOL ..... I think you need to break the entire system down, replace all the plumbing and probably the tank too ....
I do hate to point this out but don’t you think that you adding “and probably the tank too” is an overreaction to a post where someone was trying to help with what they suggest is the best fix?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite way is using 5 minute epoxy, slather that all around the leaky area. Then repeat.

I fixed a leaky bulkhead that way, the only way without completely taking my tank apart.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do hate to point this out but don’t you think that you adding “and probably the tank too” is an overreaction to a post where someone was trying to help with what they suggest is the best fix?

It was a ...... wait for it ...... JOKE! I, at least, thought it amusing.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't we just ....

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reapplied the solvent with out testing this AM. draining the tank of its FW and will start the slow process of filling up with RODI in the mean time I can mess with the leaky manifold.
I have had the tank for 4-5 months now guess i better try to move things along.
i'll let you all know how it turns out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back