Fear of tank burst/leak

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im decently experienced with saltwater. I ran a few tanks for about a year before I had to call it quits and come home to take care of my father who had a stroke

I ran a 10g, 55g, 75g, and 15 g with various types of fish and inverts.
I really want to set up a decent tank for my father's entertainment/therapy but I have a fear of tanks bursting/sumps leaking all over the house. Any tips to making sure this doesnt happen? Part of the reason I had to tear down my 75 g (sorry if it sounds silly) was a night time anxiety of it busting all over my apartment/townhome floor.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard plumb it and get a proper sump. I have zero fear of anything happening to my tanks, I plumbed them myself and I know I sealed all the plumbing parts together correctly with primer and “glue”. There would be no reason for them to leak. I wouldn’t use any plumbing parts that screw together or use soft hoses if you feel uneasy about it, they can be leak prone points.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with an AIO (all in one). It’s easier and no pipes going from the display to the sump. They’re no harder than a typical freshwater type tank with a hang on back filter. Not much pressure exerted. Btw. Sorry to hear about your father. I wish the best for him.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keep it level and check for level and for salt creep bi-monthly and you should be fine

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back