Feather duater

cgr124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello just got a new ninja star snail and noticed a large tube worm is on it. It is hard and when out of the tube looks like a feather duster. Does this look like a feather duster? Should I leave this on the snail or could it harm my corals and fish? Also, not sure what is at the end of the tube but it looks like eggs of some sort. Anyone have any idea what this is? Not sure if I should remove the snail or leave it. I don’t have a qt tank. Thanks

616E0EB5-0893-4C5C-BFCD-ED1CD5776961.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not a feather duster but rather a tube worm which uses the fan to capture food. You can pry entire tube off and discard or place a dab of gel super glue over the tube opening and it will die off from starvation.

OP
OP
C

cgr124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I guess I’ll leave it if is a filter feeder, rather not have to pry it off. Any idea what the egg looking things are at the end of the tube. Look like pink eggs but they are so small I can’t tell.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I guess I’ll leave it if is a filter feeder, rather not have to pry it off. Any idea what the egg looking things are at the end of the tube. Look like pink eggs but they are so small I can’t tell.
Hmmm... eggs?

They do have a trap door, that they shut when they feel threatened - might be that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back