Feather duster help..wont open

bosstoneschick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me? It has been in the tank a week now and I have never seen it open...I have it in a low flow area and I don't have any fish that would bother it...does it look ok? I've been trying to spot feed it plankton...I've also smelled it and there's no bad smell like when a snail dies...salinity is 1.025 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5...my other corals are all good...I didn't check mag cal etc yet
20210610_110054.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably starving/stressed, looking at how white that sand is. How old is the tank?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's in there? They will abandon the tube if something is wrong. I had one I thought was dead, and found it later somewhere else. It built a new tube.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that looks pretty clean for 6 months. Feather dusters need a mature tank since they are filter feeders. Do you have a FTS so we can see the condition of your DT?
Are you sure it's in there? They will abandon the tube if something is wrong. I had one I thought was dead, and found it later somewhere else. It built a new tube.
This could have happened as well.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not really age of tank as much as feeding, most younger tanks feed very little compared to a more mature one. I have a huge population of them but I also have different planktons on a doser. Most will find they increase and decrease population based on feeding regiment, a lot like vermentid

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not really age of tank as much as feeding, most younger tanks feed very little compared to a more mature one. I have a huge population of them but I also have different planktons on a doser. Most will find they increase and decrease population based on feeding regiment, a lot like vermentid
Basically what I was getting at. Mature/older tanks usually have more fish and corals which means more feedings. A new tank may only have minimal fish,etc. with minimal amounts of feeding. :)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically what I was getting at. Mature/older tanks usually have more fish and corals which means more feedings. A new tank may only have minimal fish,etc. with minimal amounts of feeding. :)

I knew where you were going and agree, I was directing my answer more to @John Bolden and forgot to quote

Just because people can do something and get away with it doesn’t mean other folks will. I don’t want a new member reading it’s ok when odds are they won’t last in a new tank. Once you start growing sponges and see a healthy pod population “generally” feather dusters do fine

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean you havent seen it at all since you brought it home? maybe it shed its feathers during the ride home or the acclimation, the only time I didnt see my duster for 2 weeks is when it shed its feathers.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back